First Ukay Ukay experience.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Heeb said:

I got my upper body workout today trying on polyester shirts that are too small for me in 92deg heat and humidity, I felt like Houdini trying to get out of that straight jacket. I did manage to find a couple of shirts from Hong Kong for 29p each, they have Cantonese writing on them but I don't care, as long as they don't say "I take it in the arse" I'm good, "not that there's anything wrong with that", they appear to be brand new, mostly I saw football club shirts that are bright and good for biking but maybe 1 out of 50 on the rack are my size, and I'm allergic to whatever they washed them in because my torso was lit up with a red rash afterwards. The wife bought over 100 items all for 29 each, mostly for relatives.

Which shop is that?  I have never been but my wife has bought a lot of shorts for me there, almost always good quality branded.  I think she usually pays the outrageously high price of p50!  She bought a few shirts but they never fit so she quit.

Before we move to the U.S. next year we are going to get some Ukay Ukay cold weather clothing.  I still have some but the girls will all need some.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

Which shop is that?  I have never been but my wife has bought a lot of shorts for me there, almost always good quality branded.  I think she usually pays the outrageously high price of p50!  She bought a few shirts but they never fit so she quit.

Before we move to the U.S. next year we are going to get some Ukay Ukay cold weather clothing.  I still have some but the girls will all need some.

It's on Magsaysay left side, I don't know the name, yes very good quality, there's several shops but this one seems to have more men's shirts than others and a few larger sizes, even some 3xl polo's, all new. When they get a new batch they start out at 99p and the price decreases every few days until it reaches 29p, then they liquidate everything.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Heeb said:

It's on Magsaysay left side, I don't know the name, yes very good quality, there's several shops but this one seems to have more men's shirts than others and a few larger sizes, even some 3xl polo's, all new. When they get a new batch they start out at 99p and the price decreases every few days until it reaches 29p, then they liquidate everything.

Are we talking 29p (UK money) or 29php (Local money)? If it's 29p I'm out - too dear!   

Heeb
Posted
Posted
21 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Are we talking 29p (UK money) or 29php (Local money)? If it's 29p I'm out - too dear!   

Peso's, I sat outside in the car waiting for my wife one day and they were bringing in truckloads of boxes, balikbayan box size, I'm not sure if this is donated stuff or they're working with someone on the other end shipping.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Heeb said:

Peso's, I sat outside in the car waiting for my wife one day and they were bringing in truckloads of boxes, balikbayan box size, I'm not sure if this is donated stuff or they're working with someone on the other end shipping.

I don't understand where they get it either.  Seems like possibly Hong Kong, and then I don't know where they get it.  There are quite a few people locally who buy it in bundles and resell it online. during Covid.  Sometimes they do live modeling shows for women's dresses, etc.

Heeb
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I don't understand where they get it either.  Seems like possibly Hong Kong, and then I don't know where they get it.  There are quite a few people locally who buy it in bundles and resell it online. during Covid.  Sometimes they do live modeling shows for women's dresses, etc.

The wife told me it was donated but I don't know, she says it's cheaper here and better selection then the province, maybe because of the sea port.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, Heeb said:

13 minutes ago, Heeb said:

The wife told me it was donated but I don't know, she says it's cheaper here and better selection then the province, maybe because of the sea port.

A months ago I was paying my property taxes and in the communal hall in the place there were hundreds of such boxes and many people sorting it out.  They looked like balikbayan boxes.  I think it's more likely to be donated stuff as it's so cheap.  I assume that's where the numerous 2nd hand stores get their stuff too.  

• Hmm thinking 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Shirts for P29?! Lucky you. At ukay ukay shops in Tagbilaran Bohol tee shirts are P100. At least there is no shortage of size Large.

Their stock seems to be from the US, judging by printing on the shirts. I got a really good one last trip that any hipster would be proud to wear. "The US Border Patrol is hiring now" along with their web address.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

It's actually illegal to import second hand clothes or sell it. Once in a blue moon they confiscate it at the ports.

Republic Act No. 4653 prohibits the “commercial importation of textile articles commonly known as used clothing and rags.”

Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1411249/boc-confiscates-p3-2m-worth-of-ukay-ukay-in-pasay#ixzz6qsyBlGiC

Google shows several stories of confiscation with search term, ukay seized, philippines

• Like 1