What do you think? .. preacher held in Philippines against his will

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I think there is no excuse for not getting a new passport or not paying the visa fees. 5 years?  

Family pleads for help after Orange County preacher held in Philippines against his will

A Southeast Texas minister who went to the Philippines to help the needy is now stuck in the country.

The government won't let him leave, saying he owes a big fine.

David Humberson's loved ones say there's no reason he should not be allowed to return home to Orange County.

His daughter says he's done nothing wrong to warrant the Philippine government restricting his travel and keeping him in the country against his will for three years.

She says her father's ordeal supports the saying that "no good deed goes unpunished."

KFDM/Fox 4's Angel San Juan speaks to Humberson's daughter who believes corrupt government officials in the Philippines are to blame.

From the family's GoFundMe page:

"My dad is a missionary and ordained preacher going on 35 years. He is stuck in the Philippines. He was helping homeless people. My dad was helping a man get off drugs that man ended up filing charges on my dad and stole his passport. Paid someone to get my dad in trouble. Charges were eventually dropped. He is now on the blacklist for immigration which means he can not leave the country until he is off the list and pays his over-stay. My dads over-stay is outrageous which is not his fault, he can't leave and also has to have his passport to pay his over-stay over there. He eventually got a new passport. He has been there for 5 years. He has medical problems. He is sick and needs a check up. Three of my uncles died from cancer I don't want my dad to have that either. He is 65yrs old. His brother passed away in America last year and my dad wasn't able to go to his brothers funeral or his nephew funeral. My dad filed a motion 3 years ago with immigration to get himself off the blacklist and someone just got back with him in December 2020 Act of Congress to get help. Sometimes rude people answer the phone or I get another number to call then another, and then another..... I miss my dad so much."

To help the family, click here.

Statement below from U.S. Congressman Brian Babin:

“My staff and I are aware of Mr. David Humberson’s situation and have worked to aid him in returning to the U.S. with his wife and child. Our last communication with him was September of 2020 when we provided information on the necessary steps to facilitate his return to the U.S. These steps were also relayed to his daughter in November of 2020.

“It is my understanding that Mr. Humberson has been in contact with American Citizen Services in Manilla since that time. A member of my staff spoke with Ms. Devan Humberson earlier today, and we will be reaching out to the State Department next week on the family’s behalf.

“My staff and I remain ready to aid constituents in any way we can.”

https://fox4beaumont.com/newsletter-daily/family-pleads-for-help-after-orange-county-preacher-held-in-philippines-against-his-will

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

My dad is a missionary and ordained preacher going on 35 years. He is stuck in the Philippines.

Silly bugger.  There is a "Missionary Visa" for the Philippines that is dirt cheap.  No excuse.

Edit:  With that said I did know a missionary who lived many decades in the Philippines but lost the support of his church and had very little money so he stayed in the Philippines without a Visa.  Can't be him though as he does not want to leave.  That plus the name is wrong.

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but how many times does this crap pop up. I don't care what your excuse is for being in the PI's, but like your home country, there's rules and if you don't obey them, the country is not at fault for enforcing the rules. As for corrupt officials every country has them, in there statement they weren't dealing with one person, it was an agency at different levels, come on please. As for the stolen Passport it's your responsibility to report it to your embassy as soon as your aware it's gone. Sorry no sympathy here and if their GoFundMe page draw more money, all I can say is " Fools and their money are easily parted.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The whole story sounds a bit dodgy.  I wonder if the guy does not want to go home? :whistling:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The story is a little suspicious.  You are helping a man get off drugs, he steals your passport, then pays someone to report you to the authorities, which results is being placed in a government blacklist. 

I would think if your blacklisted you would be jailed until sent home. His daughter is saying thats why he cant leave but reality is he has to pay any overdue money owed to the goverment so thats the only reason he cant go home. 

• Like 5

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Clermont said:

As for the stolen Passport it's your responsibility to report it to your embassy as soon as your aware it's gone.

Here the daughter says he got his passport back after charges were dropped.

The charges were eventually dropped and he got his passport back but immigration put my dad on the blacklist so he can't leave the country.

My dad owes thousands of dollars for his over stay fee but that's not his fault he has been trying to come home. 

https://www.change.org/p/greg-abbott-i-want-the-president-to-get-my-dad-home-he-is-stuck-in-the-philippines?source_location=topic_page