Is there import tax for a loose diamond when sent from the USA to the Philippines?

kevindd992002
Posted
Posted

So I'm looking to buy a loose diamond from the US and have the online vendor ship it to the Philippines. They use FedEx International Priority with full insurance for this. However, I need to know if there is import tax/duty for this item when received in the Philippines? It costs around $3.5K USD.

I was told to use the "7102.39.00" commodity code in the tariff finder and I'm kinda confused on the MFN results. It says that the applicable tariff rate is "3 /j" but then the legend for j says:

"Zero duty under Republic Act No. 8502 (Jewelry Industry Development Act of 1998), subject to accreditation issued by the Board of Investments."

So is it 3% or 0%?

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, kevindd992002 said:

So I'm looking to buy a loose diamond from the US and have the online vendor ship it to the Philippines. They use FedEx International Priority with full insurance for this. However, I need to know if there is import tax/duty for this item when received in the Philippines? It costs around $3.5K USD.

I was told to use the "7102.39.00" commodity code in the tariff finder and I'm kinda confused on the MFN results. It says that the applicable tariff rate is "3 /j" but then the legend for j says:

"Zero duty under Republic Act No. 8502 (Jewelry Industry Development Act of 1998), subject to accreditation issued by the Board of Investments."

So is it 3% or 0%?

No idea but doing the same as you I came up with the same answer - it seems zero % since 2012.  

I'd seek some more professional guidance - what do FedEx say, if anything?  

Edited by hk blues

kevindd992002
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

No idea but doing the same as you I came up with the same answer - it seems zero % since 2012.  

I'd seek some more professional guidance - what do FedEx say, if anything?  

I've yet to ask FedEx but I'll contact them on Monday. I also checked Excise Tax and it looks like it includes imported diamonds :( So is tariff, duty, VAT, excise taxes all different things? This is really getting confusing.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I was surprised to find out that Fed Ex will ship jewelry but it seems they do.  Looks like you may have found a winner.

kevindd992002
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I was surprised to find out that Fed Ex will ship jewelry but it seems they do.  Looks like you may have found a winner.

Yeah, they do. Most of the diamond vendors outside the Philippines use FedEx to ship worldwide. What do you mean a winner though? If they charge 20% excise tax when the diamond lands here, that really isn't "winning" :)

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, kevindd992002 said:

I've yet to ask FedEx but I'll contact them on Monday. I also checked Excise Tax and it looks like it includes imported diamonds :( So is tariff, duty, VAT, excise taxes all different things? This is really getting confusing.

They are different things, excise tax is in addition to any other taxes.  

Shady
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, kevindd992002 said:

It costs around $3.5K USD.

If that's what it says on the invoice, you're paying at least $1000 USD to customs. Learned this the hard way. Oh and customs doesn't return-to-sender things that you don't pay duties and taxes for, so you pay it or you lose it.

kevindd992002
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Shady said:

If that's what it says on the invoice, you're paying at least $1000 USD to customs. Learned this the hard way. Oh and customs doesn't return-to-sender things that you don't pay duties and taxes for, so you pay it or you lose it.

Yeah, I was reading a similar case on the Philippine Watch Club forum. The guy paid P132K for a watch worth $15K. And they don't do RTS like you said.

Shipping direct for high-valued items is super risky. I guess I'm going to go with the freight forwarder route and find one that can fully insure the item. I think JAC can do that.