Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Dies at the age of 99

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, hk blues said:

There was an article on the BBC website today with some of the "highlights."  I'll admit most of them brought a smile to my face albeit I could see they were inappropriate in many cases.

I think he was a man who was above the normal rules if you like, and thus was able to pretty much get away with anything.  And he knew it hence his often amusing and sometimes offensive retorts.  A bit like the cantankerous old man many of us know in real life.

RIP  

1F118C48-C28A-4224-834D-51495C088D55.jpeg

• Like 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I think he was a man who was above the normal rules if you like, and thus was able to pretty much get away with anything.  And he knew it hence his often amusing and sometimes offensive retorts.  A bit like the cantankerous old man many of us know in real life.

Some may choose to say that....however some (myself included) might choose to describe him as an arrogant and ignorant prick. One of the worst in a Royal Family that continue to hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons. And yes, like yourself I am British but the likes of him and his ilk do not represent me.

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

Some may choose to say that....however some (myself included) might choose to describe him as an arrogant and ignorant prick. One of the worst in a Royal Family that continue to hit the headlines for all the wrong reasons. And yes, like yourself I am British but the likes of him and his ilk do not represent me.

Oh, I don't know - he was just the type of guy who'd make jokes about Scots being mean. :whistling:

• Haha 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm not a Royalist but I had plenty of time for Philip.  He's from a different era where you could say things tongue in cheek without meaning to be offensive. Plenty of the military sites have comments from guys that have met him and said he's a typical piss taking squaddie who actually had time for people.  I've met a few Royals and most as they are asking you your name are already getting ready to shake hands with the next person. RIP

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm not a Royalist but I had plenty of time for Philip.  He's from a different era where you could say things tongue in cheek without meaning to be offensive. Plenty of the military sites have comments from guys that have met him and said he's a typical piss taking squaddie who actually had time for people.  I've met a few Royals and most as they are asking you your name are already getting ready to shake hands with the next person. RIP

I'm of a similar opinion.  Maybe we make too many allowances for his age and status; he always said his gaffes were simply a result of misunderstanding but I think It was a little more "sinister" than that in some instances.

2 great quips from him -

1- On a train from Aberdeen to Balmoral the conductor passed on the bad news that the engine had a problem and they would need to wait for a replacement from Aberdeen but not to worry, he would entertain him.  Prince Philip quipped "What, are you a f***ing juggler?"  

2- Again in NE Scotland he was chatting with a driving examiner.  Prince Philip asked her how she managed to keep the natives sober long enough to take the test!

For me, an indication of his wicked (in the good sense) sense of humour and indicative of a man who didn't want to be seen as too stiff or taken too seriously.  Others may see something more negative in the above situations.  There are plenty of examples supporting both perspectives.  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I think It was a little more "sinister" than that in some instances.

A lot of the time like many of us, he was a man that said out loud what many others were thinking and we are all guilty of that the even on this Forum :whistling:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

A lot of the time like many of us, he was a man that said out loud what many others were thinking and we are all guilty of the even on this Forum :whistling:

Indeed Jack.  That's why I read his list of gaffes with a mixture of amusement and grimace.  A different man from a different generation with a very different life compared to most of us.  

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

Hateful, ignorant nonsense.  

• Haha 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Eddie1 said:

Go do one you knobhead.  Hopefully when they drop him in the hole one or two more of that disgusting family will fall in with him.  With the exception of the Queen the rest of that family are total scumbags.

As I thought. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I think I will close this topic. First just links to an article are not what we want and been said before. Also some members dont know how to behave so closed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic