Just another typical electrical/electronic failure

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Ants ! The little blighters amaze me, they get everywhere ! Its got to the point now that things like jars of coffee,sugar,biscuits etc once opened need a food bag over the top before the lids are replaced ! Things like when the doorbell stops working, its because the ants have made a nest in the push button ! For me i was surprised when i went to use a tape measure !

I began to pull out the tape and the little pests crawled out all over my hand !so i pulled the tape out all way locked it and spayed the holder with WD40 ! No ants since !

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, expatuk2014 said:

Ants ! The little blighters amaze me, they get everywhere ! Its got to the point now that things like jars of coffee,sugar,biscuits etc once opened need a food bag over the top before the lids are replaced ! Things like when the doorbell stops working, its because the ants have made a nest in the push button ! For me i was surprised when i went to use a tape measure !

I began to pull out the tape and the little pests crawled out all over my hand !so i pulled the tape out all way locked it and spayed the holder with WD40 ! No ants since !

I know where you're coming from.  My last place had light switches that were intermittent so as they were cheap I just bought some replacements, on taking the old ones out I discovered ants had somehow got in under the rocker switch and died, turning to a nice glue like substance and enough to prevent the current flowing.

• Like 3

Joey G
Posted
Posted

diatomaceous earth.... cheap and safe.. and the stuff works... Google it :thumbsup:

• Like 3

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gator said:

Reading this I’m reminded of my youth and my elderly Aunt who lived a “Cracker House” in central Florida. She used to place the small bowels of water under the legs of her kitchen table, refrigerator and a cupboard (used for food storage only). She said it kept the ants (sugar and red ones) from climbing onto / into them and I’ll be damned if it can ever recall seeing an any ants in the cupboard or on the table.  But I do recall seeing many floating in the bowels! 

I think she also added a bit of 20 Mule Team Borax to the water too. Just for good measure I suppose or to kill any that escaped. Sometimes old school is the simplest solution; especially if it works. 

I think most Pinay use moat pans or trays quite regularly.  If anything is out of the refrig. or sealed container, insects come for it, so the only way to protect it is with a water pan and fly cover....... or eat it up right away.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted

Most success we have experienced is with the cheap chalk available anywhere. Some lines of them are persistent, takes a few days but always works.

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, RBM said:

Most success we have experienced is with the cheap chalk available anywhere. Some lines of them are persistent, takes a few days but always works.

We have been invaded by ants in the past, just getting the upper hand on killing them. I'v been using borax and sugar mixed 50/50 ratio. It even kills red ants, and also kills roaches. I buy Borax from Lee plaza in Dumaguete. P22 for a small bag. Non poisonous to mammals.

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

You want to wipe out the colony.

That's sadistic.:hystery::hystery:

• Haha 2