US covid support to the PHIL

• 2 weeks later...
Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

NIKKEI Asia reports today,

6:30 a.m. The White House announces that it is looking to share American-made AstraZeneca vaccine doses with other countries during the next few months. "Given the strong portfolio of vaccines that the United States has already authorized and available in large quantity ... and given AstraZeneca is not authorized for use in the United States, we do not need to use AstraZeneca in our fight against COVID over the next few months," press secretary Jen Psaki said. "Before any AstraZeneca doses are shipped from the United States, the FDA will confirm any such doses meet its expectations for product quality," she added.

4:32 a.m. Cooperation between the U.S. and Indo-Pacific partners India, Japan and Australia to supply up to a billion coronavirus vaccine doses across Asia by the end of 2022 was 'still on track', say senior U.S. officials, despite a surge of the virus in India. "It's moving forward expeditiously," a senior administration official told reporters. In March, a Quad fact sheet said the U.S., through its International Development Finance Corp., would work to finance Indian drugmaker Biological E to produce vaccine doses.

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Pardon me for being a bit cynical but the timing of the announced supply of vaccines from the USA, Australian and Japanese vaccine stocks seems rather closely timed with the publicity around the blood clotting issues (extremely uncommon issues) that Astra Zeneca has. 

I might be sounding cynical but it seems to me that it's an easy way to 'use up' vaccines that are now much less popular in their home countries.

Full disclosure. 

I have had my first Astra Zeneca shot, I'm booked in for my second and I'm relieved to have had it (although given a choice I would have chosen an RNA vaccine like Pfizer or Moderna... but only because of higher efficacy, not concerns about clotting).   

You're not alone in your cynicism, Geoff.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Yeochief said:

Politicians don't lie.  

Except when their lips move.

3 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

4:32 a.m. Cooperation between the U.S. and Indo-Pacific partners India, Japan and Australia to supply up to a billion coronavirus vaccine doses across Asia by the end of 2022 was 'still on track', say senior U.S. officials, despite a surge of the virus in India. "It's moving forward expeditiously," a senior administration official told reporters.

By the end of 2022?!

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

Except when their lips move.

By the end of 2022?!

Ouch!:unsure:

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Ouch!:unsure:

I have read elsewhere that governments are planning 'by the end of 2023' everyone in the world who wants a vaccine can access a vaccine :(

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I have read elsewhere that governments are planning 'by the end of 2023' everyone in the world who wants a vaccine can access a vaccine :(

Whilst at the same time some countries are looking at vaccinating children once they've completed the adult population.  Nice to know we're all in this together and that all are on board with the idea nobody is safe until we're all safe! :whistling:

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic