Submarine Missing Off Bali

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

As a submariner my heart goes out to my Indonesian brothers and their families.

This actually makes me feel sick to my stomach as it could happen to any in the Silent Service at anytime.  We can only hope for the best. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-21/indonesia-searching-for-missing-submarine-with-53-on-board/100086000

Indonesia searching for missing submarine with 53 on board, call on Australia and Singapore for help

On an overcast day, a black submarine breaks the waterline with its periscope and radio antennas.
The 1,395-tonne KRI Nanggala-402 was built in Germany in 1978(

Supplied: Indonesian Navy

)

Indonesia's navy is searching for a missing submarine with 53 people on board and is seeking help from Australia and Singapore in the hunt.

Key points:

• Indonesia's Defence Ministry said the submarine lost contact after being granted clearance to dive
  • The 1,395-tonne submarine underwent a refit in South Korea in 2012
  • Foreign Minister Marise Payne said Australia was ready to help in the search

The German-made submarine, KRI Nanggala-402, was conducting a torpedo drill in waters north of the island of Bali but failed to relay the results as expected, a navy spokesman said.

Military chief Hadi Tjahjanto said contact with the vessel was lost at 4:30am local time on Wednesday.

"We are still searching in the waters off Bali, 96 kilometres from Bali, [for] 53 people," military chief Hadi Tjahjanto told Reuters in a text message.

Indonesia's Defence Ministry said the submarine lost contact after being granted clearance to dive. It said a helicopter later spotted an oil slick near the dive's starting position.

The submarine was carrying 49 crew members, its commander and three gunners, it said.

The navy said an electrical failure may have occurred during the dive, causing the submarine to lose control and become unable to undertake emergency procedures that would have allowed it to resurface.

It said it believed the submarine sank to a depth of 600-700 metres. 

'Chilling reminder' of dangers submariners face

From above, you view two rows of navy sailors standing on the top of a partially-submerged submarine.
Indonesian authorities are searching for the missing 53 crew.(

Supplied: Indonesian Navy

)

Mr Tjahjanto said the navy had deployed scores of ships to search the area, including a hydrographic survey ship, and had asked for help from Singapore and Australia, which have submarine rescue vessels. 

Foreign Minister Marise Payne said Australia would provide whatever support it could to Indonesia.

"We are obviously very concerned about these reports. It's very distressing for families and particularly for the Indonesian Navy," she told AM.

"We've indicated that we will help in any way we can. We operate very different submarines from this one, but the Australian Defence Force and Australian Defence organisation will work with defence operations in Indonesia to determine what we may be able to do.

"We will go to the support of our neighbour in any way we can."

Singapore's defence department did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Independent Australian senator Rex Patrick, a former submariner, expressed his deep concern but said he believed there was still hope. 

"You never know what can eventuate in these situations. I wish our Indonesian friends the very best in their endeavours to quickly find the submarine and I know that the RAN and RAAF will offer all available support in assisting the Indonesian Navy," Senator Patrick said.

Aerial surveillance by a helicopter sighted the oil spill in the area a few hours after the sub disappeared (photo from Indonesian military) pic.twitter.com/hzirXfnAtY

— Anne Barker (@AnneABarker) April 21, 2021

The 1,395-tonne KRI Nanggala-402 was built in Germany in 1978, according to the Indonesian cabinet secretariat's website, and underwent a two-year refit in South Korea that was completed in 2012.

Indonesia in the past operated a fleet of 12 submarines purchased from the Soviet Union to patrol the waters of its sprawling archipelago.

But now it has a fleet of only five — two German-built Type 209 submarines and three newer South Korean vessels. It plans to operate at least eight by 2024. 

Indonesia has been seeking to upgrade its defence capabilities but some of its equipment still in service is old and there have been deadly accidents involving, in particular, ageing military transport planes in recent years.

Reuters/ABC

• Sad 9

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Sad to learn of this especially the oil slick but as he said "there is always hope". Good for Australia for jumping in to help like that!

• Like 2

Yeochief
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

sank to a depth of 600-700 metres. 

Below crush depth.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Gator
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Old55 said:

Sad to learn of this especially the oil slick but as he said "there is always hope". Good for Australia for jumping in to help like that!

The optimistic side of me says the oil slick was a signal from the sub for help. The pessimistic side says they’re “Still on Patrol”. Hopefully the optimistic side is correct. 

baronapart
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

The optimistic side of me says the oil slick was a signal from the sub for help. The pessimistic side says they’re “Still on Patrol”. Hopefully the optimistic side is correct. 

Definitely "Still on Patrol." Too deep as Yeochief said.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

There is an article that says that an object 'of high magnetic force' has been detected at a depth of 50-100 meters and it has been suggested that the crew might have released their fuel in order to float towards the surface wthout power... details in the article linked below.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-23/the-race-to-rescue-53-crew-missing-on-a-navy-submarine/100089532

• Like 3

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

The article states that they were doing torpedo drills, I have not seen anyone stating that this could have happen because of a torpedo hot run, a torpedo activates onboard a submarine.  

14 hours ago, GeoffH said:

object 'of high magnetic force' has been detected at a depth of 50-100 meters

Does not give a size of the object, I'm thinking at 50 - 100 meters they would know the size of the object.  

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm not linked in anyway to the Submarine World but I have a friend that works for one of the major defence companies, specifically in the radar side which encompasses a few areas, he wouldn't go into much detail about finding the submarine but he says you might find that even if the submarine has been found they may not want to say anything as it could give away the latest technology. 

Makes sense if the enemy think they are safe under the Ocean when in reality we are following their every move. If the sub is below a certain depth and oxygen has run out it's better to say nothing.

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

I'm not linked in anyway to the Submarine World but I have a friend that works for one of the major defence companies, specifically in the radar side which encompasses a few areas, he wouldn't go into much detail about finding the submarine but he says you might find that even if the submarine has been found they may not want to say anything as it could give away the latest technology. 

Makes sense if the enemy think they are safe under the Ocean when in reality we are following their every move. If the sub is below a certain depth and oxygen has run out it's better to say nothing.

Your comment re intentional human sacrifice for the sake of technological secrets preservation made me think of the WWII German blitz on Coventry and supposed British government foreknowledge. While looking it up, I came across this BBC bit that says it was more than likely a false conspiracy theory that gained some traction when I first heard of it many years ago. Glad I took the time to fact check.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-11486219

• Like 1