Submarine Missing Off Bali

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, manofthecoldland said:

Your comment re intentional human sacrifice for the sake of technological secrets preservation made me think of the WWII German blitz on Coventry and supposed British government foreknowledge. While looking it up, I came across this BBC bit that says it was more than likely a false conspiracy theory that gained some traction when I first heard of it many years ago. Glad I took the time to fact check.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-11486219

Sadly in an operational environment there have been many instances of lambs to the slaughter and the BBC would be one of the last places I'd go to for fact checking as they've been caught out a few times with fake news. I'm not saying they've been sacrificed but maybe they are already dead and in lieu of a reasonable theory as to how they know the location of the submarine nothing is said.

I've personally been in the position of having technlogy which at the time was still classed as secret.  Old news now but at the time was informed that if I discussed the abilities of a certain piece of equipment I wouldn't be seeing sunlight for a long time. We even had certain repair levels for equipment, being only allowed to repair up to a certain point before the item was shipped off to another place to complete the task.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted

Regrettably the sub has now been officially declared: Still on Patrol

https://apnews.com/article/asia-pacific-indonesia-98b58437f6742d197d1eb593db954894

Indonesia navy declares lost sub sank after finding debris 

BANYUWANGI, Indonesia (AP) — Indonesia’s navy on Saturday said items were found from a missing submarine, indicating the vessel with 53 crew members had sunk and cracked open, and that there was no hope of finding survivors. 

Military chief Hadi Tjahjanto said the presence of an oil slick as well as the discovery of debris near the location of KRI Nanggala 402′s last dive on Wednesday off the island of Bali were clear proof the vessel had sunk. Indonesia earlier considered the vessel to be only missing.

Navy Chief Yudo Margono told a press conference in Bali, “If it’s an explosion, it will be in pieces. The cracks happened gradually in some parts when it went down from 300 meters to 400 meters to 500 meters ... If there was an explosion, it would be heard by the sonar.”

The navy previously said it believes the submarine sank to a depth of 600-700 meters (2,000-2,300 feet), much deeper than its collapse depth of 200 meters (655 feet), at which point water pressure would be greater than the hull could withstand. 

The cause of the disappearance was still uncertain. The navy had previously said an electrical failure could have left the submarine unable to execute emergency procedures to resurface.

Margono said that in the past two days, searchers found parts of a torpedo straightener, a grease bottle believed to be used to oil the periscope, debris from prayer rugs and a broken piece from a coolant pipe that was refitted on the submarine in South Korea in 2012.

“With the authentic evidence we found believed to be from the submarine, we have now moved from the ‘sub miss’ phase to ‘sub sunk,’” Margono said at the press conference, in which the found items were displayed.

Margono said rescue teams from Indonesia and other countries will evaluate the findings. He said no bodies have been found so far. Officials previously said the submarine’s oxygen supply would have run out early Saturday.

An American reconnaissance plane, a P-8 Poseidon, landed early Saturday and had been set to join the search, along with 20 Indonesian ships, a sonar-equipped Australian warship and four Indonesian aircraft. 

Singaporean rescue ships were also expected Saturday, while Malaysian rescue vessels were due to arrive Sunday, bolstering the underwater hunt, officials said earlier Saturday. 

Family members had held out hopes for survivors but there were no sign of life from the vessel. Indonesian President Joko Widodo had ordered all-out efforts to locate the submarine and asked Indonesians to pray for the crew’s safe return.

The German-built diesel-powered KRI Nanggala 402 has been in service in Indonesia since 1981 and was carrying 49 crew members and three gunners as well as its commander, the Indonesian Defense Ministry said. 

Indonesia, the world’s largest archipelago nation with more than 17,000 islands, has faced growing challenges to its maritime claims in recent years, including numerous incidents involving Chinese vessels near the Natuna islands.

• Sad 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The remains of the sub have been located.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/lost-indonesian-sub-found-on-ocean-floor-in-three-pieces/ar-BB1g2hw1

The Indonesian submarine that went missing Wednesday has been located at the bottom of the Java Sea, where it was found split into three pieces. All 53 passengers have been confirmed dead, the BBC reports.

Navy Chief of Staff Yudo Margono provided details of that discovery Sunday.

“The KRI Nanggala is divided into three parts, the hull of the ship, the stern of the ship, and the main parts are all separated, with the main part found cracked,” Margono told reporters.

Navy officials claim signals from the sub’s location — off the coast of Bali and at a depth of more than 2,600 feet — were received Sunday morning. A recovery unit from Singapore visually confirmed the KRI Nanggala’s fate.

The US, Australia, Malaysia and India had also joined in the search for the 1,395 ton sub, which lost radio contact during a torpedo drill.

The nearly 200-foot long vessel’s operators were last heard requesting clearance to make a practice dive. Conditions are such that survival for crew members isn’t possible, officials said. It’s not known what caused the sinking of the more than 40-year-old ship. It had been refitted in 2012.

• Sad 4