I am looking for someone that can help with Wills and Estates

Freebie
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

I read somewhere that a property (or portion of) can be left to a foreigner spouse but that it has to be disposed off within a certain time period.

Can't find the link now sorry...

Yes @GeoffH. I believe it must be sold within 2 years, or could be 3. But its to a spouse whos name is on the title.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I was unable to help. If anyone knows of a good and honest attorney please let him know?

Dennyw1
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, GeoffH said:

I read somewhere that a property (or portion of) can be left to a foreigner spouse but that it has to be disposed off within a certain time period.

Can't find the link now sorry...

I've heard that too. I believe it to be true.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Freebie said:

Yes @GeoffH. I believe it must be sold within 2 years, or could be 3. But its to a spouse whos name is on the title.

Thanks.

It seems anomalous that on the one hand a foreigner can be named on the title deeds (I most certainly am) yet the consistent message is foreigners can't own land.

I suppose just to satisfy the regulation quoted above.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

It seems anomalous that on the one hand a foreigner can be named on the title deeds (I most certainly am) yet the consistent message is foreigners can't own land.

I would assume that the foreigner is named a husband to the owner due to the Family Code of the Philippines and, in addition, to ensure that the foreigner can maintain ownership in the event of death of spouse.

Those are the only two instances I can think of where the foreigner would have any kind of claim on the property.

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Copied from google search...for what it's worth: 

* Acquisition thru hereditary succession if the foreign acquire is a legal or natural heir. This means that when you are married to a Filipino citizen and your husband/wife dies, you as the natural heir will become the legal owner of his/her property. The same is true for the children. Every natural child (legitimate or illegitimate) can inherit the property of his/her Filipino father/mother even if he/she is not a Filipino citizen.

Owning of houses or buildings is legal as long as the foreigner does not own the land on which the house is build. 

Rent

The land can be leased by the foreigner or a foreign corporation on a long term contract for an initial 50 year period and renewable every 25 years. A foreigner can rent a lot and at the same time legally own the house on the rented land.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 4/25/2021 at 12:42 AM, Old55 said:

I was unable to help. If anyone knows of a good and honest attorney please let him know?

Or maybe a used car salesman or a politician will do. :hystery:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Or maybe a used car salesman or a politician will do. :hystery:

Well she never returned to see if there was an answer. 

Comparing a used car salesman to a politician is very degrading to the used car salesman. :whatever:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3