Western style living conditions?

Gas
Posted
Posted
On 5/3/2021 at 8:27 AM, RBM said:

Depends very much on the individual HK. For myself, as said going from the rather run down city of Bacolod to up town IloIlo is like going to a new world.

What i do enjoy here though is the proximity of Canlaon and the surrounding national parks, , Within an hours drive we can hike, often without the much vaunted tourist guide to water falls rivers, mostly no garbage.

Due to the proximity to Mt Canlaon there are various cold spring resorts close by, fresh invigorating COLD water swimming.  Close by we have such a spring run by a nature loving Filipino, beautifully landscaped and run for love not profits. I swim here 4 times a week, zero garbage, zero karaoke, its an absolute god send.

May be an image of food, nature, sky, palm trees and pool

My swimming pool this morning at 6am 😂

We have lived in southern Laguna for the past 25 years and for me we have the best of both worlds, as far enough away from the pollution of Manila, but close enough for day trips. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, RBM said:

Absolutely not a secret OLD but the forum is strict about posting names as can be seen as advertising. Happy to give FB name if allowed.

It's not strict about places you recommend but say your brother in law owns it and you mentioned it everyday then we might jump on it.Theres even a section here called, Where have you been and another Recommend a restaurant or resort plus others. So it's no problem doing so and only a problem if a member joins up to promote something that the member has a financial interest in.

Theres been many a time where this happened and one that comes to mind from a former members was after a few good post started to brag about this food delivery service from some bar or something and not just mention it once so after investigating it was found its the owner posting for free advertising which is against the rules.

• Like 4

soupeod
Posted
Posted
On 4/28/2021 at 3:35 PM, Tommy T. said:

Not trying to sound negative here, but... If someone prefers to live in a place that is like the US, then why not just settle in some place in the US? 

Why come to the Philippines at all? Just my thoughts...

Women! 😂

• Like 1

soupeod
Posted
Posted (edited)

Clark, cavite, and towards Tagaytay have have several very nice golf courses with western condos, subdivisions available.

Edited by soupeod
  • Like 1

BC57
Posted
Posted
On 4/29/2021 at 8:09 PM, graham59 said:

It's the damned garbage strewn everywhere that ruins everything 'natural' here !  :sad:

It is amazing that they don't have any waste management system in place throughout most of the provinces. The Manila bay is a garbage bin, and the government let this happen right under their noses. Just my opinion of course.:smile:

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BC57 said:

It is amazing that they don't have any waste management system in place throughout most of the provinces. The Manila bay is a garbage bin, and the government let this happen right under their noses. Just my opinion of course.:smile:

Here, we have hired one of the local tricycle drivers to pick up our rubbish on the pick-up day when a truck goes along the highway for all the trash. We pay him P100/week and he picks up the black garbage sacks we load into the green bin we bought and then rinses out the bin too. Sometimes there is only a small bag or two and sometimes there is more than will fit in the bin - it costs the same either way. We still see some small bits of trash strewn nearby, but not much.

However, we were disgusted a few days ago when we walked over to the nearby river because it was very noisy from heavy rains. Right at the edge there were lots of used, dirty baby diapers just tossed around. It looks like the neighbours were trying to get them into the river, but missed, so just left them there. It's more of the out of sight, out of mind thoughtlessness...:sad:

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Here, we have hired one of the local tricycle drivers to pick up our rubbish on the pick-up day when a truck goes along the highway for all the trash. We pay him P100/week and he picks up the black garbage sacks we load into the green bin we bought and then rinses out the bin too. Sometimes there is only a small bag or two and sometimes there is more than will fit in the bin - it costs the same either way. We still see some small bits of trash strewn nearby, but not much.

However, we were disgusted a few days ago when we walked over to the nearby river because it was very noisy from heavy rains. Right at the edge there were lots of used, dirty baby diapers just tossed around. It looks like the neighbours were trying to get them into the river, but missed, so just left them there. It's more of the out of sight, out of mind thoughtlessness...:sad:

Sad Tommy, I have almost reached the point now that when we walk local I do not see the garbage. There is a lovely river walk near us, the river could be as beautiful as the lovely boulevard the Gov, made. Unfortunately its become a tipping ground for waste, Seems now am able to just see through it. 

• Sad 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

we have hired one of the local tricycle drivers to pick up our rubbish

I did that for a while, until I caught him tossing it into the nearest empty lot as soon as he was out of sight.  Hope you have better luck.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I think it very much depends on location etc. We are in a sub-division so it's all taken care of. Outside, it's not great but as we move from the more rural area to the city there is little garbage around at all. In my wife's place, rural, it's ok and no worse than I've seen elsewhere. 

Based on my experience, if there's water there's garbage so what could be pretty riverbanks and beaches are ruined by it. 

Of course, if they provided garbage bins around the place, and actually emptied them, the situation would be improved.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Of course, if they provided garbage bins around the place, and actually emptied them, the situation would be improved.

It amazes me on Boracay, before Covid the island had a turn over of about 50 billion peso annually but the household waste was just dumped in piles around the Barangays. I knew when they were collecting the waste by the amount of dogs in the area, easily 10 to 20 dogs ripping the waste bags apart and dragging the diapers etc all over the place.

I can't get my head around why they don't have large metal skips as Brits call them that they can throw the waste in, then a truck turns up and empties the skip in minutes.  No mess, little smell and it would keep the dog population down. 

• Hmm thinking 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic