Jump to content

Western style living conditions?


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Snowy79 said:

It amazes me on Boracay, before Covid the island had a turn over of about 50 billion peso annually but the household waste was just dumped in piles around the Barangays. I knew when they were collecting the waste by the amount of dogs in the area, easily 10 to 20 dogs ripping the waste bags apart and dragging the diapers etc all over the place.

I can't get my head around why they don't have large metal skips as Brits call them that they can throw the waste in, then a truck turns up and empties the skip in minutes.  No mess, little smell and it would keep the dog population down. 

Yep.

But, can you imagine how quickly such skips would be filled up with everything but the garbage they're supposed to be for? Sadly, the lack of social conscience often seen here puts paid to such simple and effective solutions. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I geuss that makes Mindanao the Philippines Mexico... interesting place with some big cities but not everywhere is safe for westeners 

Not trying to sound negative here, but... If someone prefers to live in a place that is like the US, then why not just settle in some place in the US?  Why come to the Philippines at all? Just my

Actually...family proximity was one of our high level geography factors...on top of the others regarding things like medical and airports, etc.  There's an old saying: marry a Filipina, and you marry

  • Forum Support
21 hours ago, hk blues said:

Sadly, the lack of social conscience often seen here puts paid to such simple and effective solutions. 

And when solutions are tried, the "people" work against them. Last year in order to combat litter, our city established trash cans (dust bins to non-yanks :hystery:) with bright green trash bags. Every morning workers put out the bags, an hour later they would disappear. Litter would continue. 

A day or two later at the city trash collection points.....low and behold.......full bright green trash bags were being thrown out by residents with house hold garbage :571c66d400c8c_1(103):.

Thats why in a lot of public restrooms there is no toilet paper,,,,,,,so my wife tells me. It just gets stolen

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scott h said:

And when solutions are tried, the "people" work against them. Last year in order to combat litter, our city established trash cans (dust bins to non-yanks :hystery:) with bright green trash bags. Every morning workers put out the bags, an hour later they would disappear. Litter would continue. 

A day or two later at the city trash collection points.....low and behold.......full bright green trash bags were being thrown out by residents with house hold garbage :571c66d400c8c_1(103):.

Thats why in a lot of public restrooms there is no toilet paper,,,,,,,so my wife tells me. It just gets stolen

At my previous place some foreigners tried to do their bit by sponsoring and installing trash cans in strategic areas. They seen disappeared as the locals had better uses for them. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, scott h said:

Thats why in a lot of public restrooms there is no toilet paper,,,,,,,so my wife tells me. It just gets stolen

Nothing is free in the PH, not even the air.

There's almost no public seating in the cold malls because then people will just escape the heat outside.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Forum Support
6 hours ago, Shady said:

people will just escape the heat outside.

That is so true.

During my first visit to the family in 1996, my sister in law called and invited us out for a meal. We met them at the Mall, went to the food court, got a table and my SIL unloaded a large bag of tupperware containers. 

She never said we would buy the food............:cryingwhilelaughing_anim:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2021 at 10:07 AM, hk blues said:

Yep.

But, can you imagine how quickly such skips would be filled up with everything but the garbage they're supposed to be for? Sadly, the lack of social conscience often seen here puts paid to such simple and effective solutions. 

Or garbage would be left on ground beside skips.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

At my previous place some foreigners tried to do their bit by sponsoring and installing trash cans in strategic areas. They seen disappeared as the locals had better uses for them. :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Perhaps this is a rhetorical question? But I remember seeing tips (dumpsters) in National Parks in USA and Canada that were made of steel and chained to posts or trees. Do you think this might make a difference?

Of course, I think the biggest problem is cost, as in "who's going to foot the bill for nice, solid tips, chain and pick-up service?" And, as already mentioned, many might use this as a means to dispose of their household trash?

So far, our system here is working fine. We have seen the big garbage truck on the highway on Friday mornings loading up huge piles of trash that are alongside the road awaiting pick up. Our tricycle driver does other small errands for us and is our "go to" guy for anyone needing a local ride. It would be nice to see more of this around - I know, I know, wishful thinking...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

So far, our system here is working fine. We have seen the big garbage truck on the highway on Friday mornings loading up huge piles of trash that are alongside the road awaiting pick up. 

At our house in CDO there is a garbage truck that comes once a week.  Households put garbage into plastic bags (smaller ones, not big western style garbage bags) and tie them in a simple loop to the fences.  I think the idea is too keep the garbage up and away from the street dogs.

The garbage truck comes along, the garbage man comes and unties them from the fence and puts them into the truck and then mama or SWMBO or sister gives the garbage man a few pesos.

Not sure where it goes after that but there is never garbage in the streets anywhere in the subdivision (whether it's in the large lot or small lot areas).  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GeoffH said:

At our house in CDO there is a garbage truck that comes once a week.  Households put garbage into plastic bags (smaller ones, not big western style garbage bags) and tie them in a simple loop to the fences.  I think the idea is too keep the garbage up and away from the street dogs.

The garbage truck comes along, the garbage man comes and unties them from the fence and puts them into the truck and then mama or SWMBO or sister gives the garbage man a few pesos.

Not sure where it goes after that but there is never garbage in the streets anywhere in the subdivision (whether it's in the large lot or small lot areas).  

We have a garbage truck twice a week - each house has 1 large black garbage bin which we fill with plastic bags. There is no limit to the amount we can leave.  This service is included in our HOA fees.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...