Retiring To Philippines... ?

Michael H
Posted
Posted

Hi All!

I'm new to the forum, just wanted to start with a friendly greeting!

As I am now getting any younger (seems to be going round a bit...) I've started thinking about where to retire. I'm currently living in Zurich and although the quality of life is good its too expensive to retire here and I would prefer to go somewhere where my money will go further and the weather is nicer, and more consistent.

Currently considering Spain or the Philippines. I was just wondering how you are finding it over there? Any regrets? Major pro's and con's?

I'll read through the existing posts which will no doubt also give me a few hints on this :)

Cheers,

Michael

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Welcome to this forum Michael H. You have chosen well.

There is a wealth of relevant information here. It's going to take a while for you to sift through all of it. I hope you like to read.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Michael H said:

Hi All!

I'm new to the forum, just wanted to start with a friendly greeting!

As I am now getting any younger (seems to be going round a bit...) I've started thinking about where to retire. I'm currently living in Zurich and although the quality of life is good its too expensive to retire here and I would prefer to go somewhere where my money will go further and the weather is nicer, and more consistent.

Currently considering Spain or the Philippines. I was just wondering how you are finding it over there? Any regrets? Major pro's and con's?

I'll read through the existing posts which will no doubt also give me a few hints on this :)

Cheers,

Michael

It's great, terrible, so-so here - and that's just the last half-hour!

Joking apart, it's very difficult to define pros and cons as it's very much individual.  Example - for me, the lack of an ex-pat community in my area is more of a pro than a con but that's probably a con for most. 

Any reason to narrow it down to Spain and the Philippines - quite different apart from the obvious historical connection.  

• Like 2

Michael H
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

It's great, terrible, so-so here - and that's just the last half-hour!

Joking apart, it's very difficult to define pros and cons as it's very much individual.  Example - for me, the lack of an ex-pat community in my area is more of a pro than a con but that's probably a con for most. 

Any reason to narrow it down to Spain and the Philippines - quite different apart from the obvious historical connection.  

Haha thanks for the insight!

Spain is where I always envisaged moving, to have been on holiday there several times, like the way of life, cost of living etc and the weather :)

I'm dating a Filipina at the moment and was there on holiday for a couple of weeks last year so have started considering it as an alternative and it seems like a good viable option

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Michael H
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the welcome, will be popping back in frequently, seems like a useful and friendly group! :)

PS Expat community is important to me in Switzerland, but maybe because the locals aren't so easy to make friends with, they are friendly but kind of keep in their own circle of friends... 

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Get yourself over here mate.

You'll love it...especially as a retiree (you even get the annual increments on a British State Pension).

Bear in mind though, when involved with a Filipina here, her family will always come first, and they will always need money.  You need to learn how to deal with that. 

Also, consider future health implications, as it all has to be paid for here.  

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, graham59 said:

Also, consider future health implications, as it all has to be paid for here.  

You bring up an excellent point!  When, or if, you show up at the emergency ward you better have a credit card or a fist full of cash. 

• Like 5