Jump to content

Pakikisama: The spoken and unspoken rules and culture for living in the Philippine


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Mike J said:

But what does it say about a country where there are armed guards at McDonalds, 7-11, bakeries, etc.  

well, at least they have someone to buss tables :)

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For most westerners arriving in the Philippines, there can be culture shock. Most travellers would say, however, that their initial experience in the country can be summed up in the words of kindness,

My wife has a big heart when dealing with other Filipinos. We live in the jungle so have to walk past or drive past the poor huts that they live in. Some have taken advantage of her and some have take

It certainly helps when you don't hand out freebies but ask for a favour in return.  The old saying " Kindness is a sign of weakness" certainly applied to myself initially. I had my fair share of user

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Mike J said:

But what does it say about a country where there are armed guards at McDonalds, 7-11, bakeries, etc.  

Well at least they do open the doors for you.:tiphat:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

But what does it say about a country where there are armed guards at McDonalds, 7-11, bakeries, etc.  

If you think the US doesn't need armed guards at McDonalds and KFC and public schools, you haven't been paying attention to America.

Back to your question:  It says we can maintain public safety with almost no police, by preventing crime before it happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Shady said:

If you think the US doesn't need armed guards at McDonalds and KFC and public schools, you haven't been paying attention to America.

Back to your question:  It says we can maintain public safety with almost no police, by preventing crime before it happens.

First of all, crime is prevalent here so that perhaps defeats your argument straight off the bat.  Second of all, I prefer the Police to police a country rather than a private security force for all sorts of reasons.  

Anyway, it is what it is.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Shady said:

If you think the US doesn't need armed guards at McDonalds and KFC and public schools, you haven't been paying attention to America.

Back to your question:  It says we can maintain public safety with almost no police, by preventing crime before it happens.

Maybe you've been paying too much attention to Tox News. Only a few such places in big cities in the US need armed guards.

A fair number of public schools have "Resource Officers" who are actual police, but armed guards are present at some businesses only in large cities, if at all.

Edited by Guy F.
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Heres me thinking the presence of armed guards is but a deterrent nothing else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 11:01 AM, hk blues said:

First of all, crime is prevalent here

Maybe you should move!

Where I live, there are only a handful of police and the only time they're seen is at checkpoints to catch unlicensed motorists. Still no street crime, no thugs, no savages rioting, everyone is under continual protection thanks to the local tanods, the barangay captains, and armed citizen guards everywhere. This is a culture that prevents crime.

A comparable large city in the US has tens of thousands of police, and still the streets burn with riots, the murder rate is skyrocketing, endless mass shootings. This is a culture that fails to prevent crime.

 

  • Hmm thinking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Shady said:

Maybe you should move!

Where I live, there are only a handful of police and the only time they're seen is at checkpoints to catch unlicensed motorists. Still no street crime, no thugs, no savages rioting, everyone is under continual protection thanks to the local tanods, the barangay captains, and armed citizen guards everywhere. This is a culture that prevents crime.

A comparable large city in the US has tens of thousands of police, and still the streets burn with riots, the murder rate is skyrocketing, endless mass shootings. This is a culture that fails to prevent crime.

 

Sounds like we are neighbours! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Shady said:

Maybe you should move!

Where I live, there are only a handful of police and the only time they're seen is at checkpoints to catch unlicensed motorists. Still no street crime, no thugs, no savages rioting, everyone is under continual protection thanks to the local tanods, the barangay captains, and armed citizen guards everywhere. This is a culture that prevents crime.

A comparable large city in the US has tens of thousands of police, and still the streets burn with riots, the murder rate is skyrocketing, endless mass shootings. This is a culture that fails to prevent crime.

 

Yes, it is horrible in the US, just ask the over 4 million Filipinos who are living here, they can't wait moving out of this hellhole once the covid restrictions are lifted...

By the way, the chances of dying from homicide in the PH is 30% higher than in the US but I know, I know, this is just small details...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Explorer said:

Yes, it is horrible in the US, just ask the over 4 million Filipinos who are living here

Living there to make money, despite the horrific crime rate and savagery in the streets.

 

7 hours ago, Explorer said:

By the way, the chances of dying from homicide in the PH is 30% higher than in the US but I know, I know, this is just small details...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

4.9 compared to 6.4,  230 nations on that list and the US and PH are separated by how many?  15.   A small detail which you haven't found would distinguish between homicides in PH against locals vs. against foreigners. 

More small details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_murder_rate

50 most murderous cities in the world, US has 4 of them, bordered by Mexico with 19.

Philippines? Zero.

 

Edited by Shady
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...