Philippines National ID system for foreigner residents as well

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, BC57 said:

Since most of us have an ACR card I see no benefit or reason to sign up. Just my opinion of course.:smile:

As per the communications I've read, you may find it difficult to interact with government departments without it i.e. the BI MAY ask to see your card for the Annual Report for example. I have no knowledge if they will, but the communications all suggest you will have problems if you don't have the card.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

From what I have read online, the ID is not compulsory for foreigners, but strongly recommended to make dealing with various government and other institutions (such as banks) easier. Supposedly, only one ID would need to ever be produced for transactions or business dealings. Of course, talk is cheap.

I was informed by the local Purok leader that I needed to pre-register for the ID - which I then did - and that in February the final step would happen. That pre-registration was simply answering questions like marital status, birthdate and other standard type info. I just received notification that I need to show up on June 6 for the final step which is supposed to be recording the biometrics - full fingerprint set and photo(s).

The whole thing is supposed to be free for everyone, including the annual renewal for foreigners. Certainly adds to all the red tape I already have to deal with, but that is standard procedure in many countries I have visited so... I attempt to grin and bear it.

It's not compulsory for anyone, Tom, including citizens. But, as you say, life may be even more difficult without it.

I'm not sure about the free part - 1st issue is free but lost cards will be charged and the quote I read was very specific, free for citizens but no mention of foreigners and renewal. There will be costs in issuing a new card every year and no way they will not try to recoup this IMO. Why make it annual renewal if not a money making policy?

I was told I need to wait until July 1 to register but no surprise we have inconsistent approaches.

I'm ok with doing it, just another thing to waste a few hours doing!

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm ok with doing it, just another thing to waste a few hours doing!

On the other hand it is one more database someone can hack and get your full name, address, blood type, sex, place and date of birth.   

• Sad 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
On 4/30/2021 at 7:03 AM, scott h said:

It will be of great use,,,now I can leave this at the guard shack when I enter a subdivision and not my drivers license which I really need :hystery:

Scott, highly recommend that you get the Postal ID. Its accepted everywhere as a govt approved ID and really easy to get. Valid for 3 years. Just need to show proof of address. As I recall the forms are online, but you need to go to a post office for photo taking.

The alternative to the driving licence leaving is to make laminated copies of driving licence, Never had a problem leaving them with guards or in govt buildings.

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted

National ID.. and to get the ID, guess what, they require all applicants to present an ID....?????

Valid for 3 years for Filipinos but only 1 year for non Filipinos.. lots of ways to interpret that.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Freebie said:

The alternative to the driving licence leaving is to make laminated copies of driving licence, Never had a problem leaving them with guards or in govt buildings.

That's okay for the guards but don't show them to the police or traffic enforcer's.  

Freebie
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, jimeve said:

That's okay for the guards but don't show them to the police or traffic enforcer's.  

Had no issues showing the copy of my licence to police roadblocks in Guimaras or Siquijor or Camotes. They thought it was a cool idea as they agreed if I lost my real licence would be a big hassle.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Freebie said:

National ID.. and to get the ID, guess what, they require all applicants to present an ID....?????

Valid for 3 years for Filipinos but only 1 year for non Filipinos.. lots of ways to interpret that.

True, but who doesn't have some form of ID to satisfy that requirement. It's valid forever for citizens, not just 3 years according to what I read.

To be fair, a national id card system is a common thing in many, I believe most in fact, countries so not really seeing such a big problem.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Mike J said:

On the other hand it is one more database someone can hack and get your full name, address, blood type, sex, place and date of birth.   

True, but except blood type that info is already held by some or other govt department here, including BI. Just another weakness to add to numerous others here.

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Freebie said:

Had no issues showing the copy of my licence to police roadblocks in Guimaras or Siquijor or Camotes. They thought it was a cool idea as they agreed if I lost my real licence would be a big hassle.

I got stopped by a traffic enforcer in Dumaguete, I showed him my copy of my driving licence. He said this not allowed, show me your driving licence. Had to explain why I have the copy but he insisted I have the real licence. He gave me a ticket and had to pay p300. Since then the copy stays at home.

Not a very good idea to say it's fine to use a copy licence on a forum.

• Like 2