Kawasan Falls to reopen

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

This is/was a very popular tourist attraction for both foreigners and Filipinos.  Hopefully it will start to bring back jobs that were lost when the falls were shut down.  I have visited a few times and found it nice but but crowded, especially on weekends.

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/375347/what-to-expect-in-kawasan-reopening

CEBU CITY, Philippines – One of Cebu’s most popular tourist destinations, Kawasan Falls, is set to reopen any time soon, approximately a year since it was closed due to threats of COVID-19.

Kawasan Falls, located in Badian town, southwestern Cebu, will welcome guests starting May 1, 2021, a few months after the Capitol issued a new set of guidelines for the tourism industry that included allowing swimming and other activities in waterfalls.

But like all tourist destinations and establishments, it is still subject to regulations and health protocols to ensure the safety of guides, workers, and guests.

Below are some things every traveler bound to Kawasan Falls must take note of before hitting the road.

1. Limited Number of Guests

The Capitol’s Executive Order (EO) No. 13, signed and issued by Governor Gwendolyn Garcia on February 19, ordered that only a maximum of five guests, accompanied by two trained guides, are allowed to visit waterfalls at a time.

As a result, officials advised future guests to coordinate with the local government of Badian or book directly at the Capitol’s tourism portal at https://discover.cebu.gov.ph/

2. No Food, No Smoking

Guests planning to bring food in their trips to Kawasan Falls and any other waterfalls in the province must reconsider this decision.

EO No. 13 of the provincial government, as well as EO No. 10 of the local government of Badian, has prohibited the selling and bringing of foods within the vicinity of the waterfall area.

More specifically, Badian’s EO stated that bringing of food will not be allowed in the ‘first, second levels, and sping’ of Kawasan Falls.

“Foods will be served only at the area before the second bridge,” it added.

Smoking is also not allowed.

3. Kawasan Falls’ ‘day-off’

Aside from the above-mentioned restrictions and regulations, tourists must also take note that the Capitol has ordered caretakers of all waterfalls in the province to schedule a once-a-week clean-up and maintenance in the area.

This meant that there will be a day wherein Kawasan will be off-limits to the public to pave way for clean-up initiatives.

Badian is a 3rd class municipality located 104.2 kilometers southwest of Cebu City.

Kawasan Falls has been a growing tourist attraction, especially with canyoneering tours and other water-themed outdoor activities.

Downstream, the water coming from the three-layered falls flows to the Matutinao River and traversing across a secluded canyon where canyoneering activities usually take place.

Read more: https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/375347/what-to-expect-in-kawasan-reopening#ixzz6tZCOHgsB
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Mike J said:

This is/was a very popular tourist attraction for both foreigners and Filipinos.  Hopefully it will start to bring back jobs that were lost when the falls were shut down.  I have visited a few times and found it nice but but crowded, especially on weekends.

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/375347/what-to-expect-in-kawasan-reopening

CEBU CITY, Philippines – One of Cebu’s most popular tourist destinations, Kawasan Falls, is set to reopen any time soon, approximately a year since it was closed due to threats of COVID-19.

Kawasan Falls, located in Badian town, southwestern Cebu, will welcome guests starting May 1, 2021, a few months after the Capitol issued a new set of guidelines for the tourism industry that included allowing swimming and other activities in waterfalls.

But like all tourist destinations and establishments, it is still subject to regulations and health protocols to ensure the safety of guides, workers, and guests.

Below are some things every traveler bound to Kawasan Falls must take note of before hitting the road.

1. Limited Number of Guests

The Capitol’s Executive Order (EO) No. 13, signed and issued by Governor Gwendolyn Garcia on February 19, ordered that only a maximum of five guests, accompanied by two trained guides, are allowed to visit waterfalls at a time.

As a result, officials advised future guests to coordinate with the local government of Badian or book directly at the Capitol’s tourism portal at https://discover.cebu.gov.ph/

2. No Food, No Smoking

Guests planning to bring food in their trips to Kawasan Falls and any other waterfalls in the province must reconsider this decision.

EO No. 13 of the provincial government, as well as EO No. 10 of the local government of Badian, has prohibited the selling and bringing of foods within the vicinity of the waterfall area.

More specifically, Badian’s EO stated that bringing of food will not be allowed in the ‘first, second levels, and sping’ of Kawasan Falls.

“Foods will be served only at the area before the second bridge,” it added.

Smoking is also not allowed.

3. Kawasan Falls’ ‘day-off’

Aside from the above-mentioned restrictions and regulations, tourists must also take note that the Capitol has ordered caretakers of all waterfalls in the province to schedule a once-a-week clean-up and maintenance in the area.

This meant that there will be a day wherein Kawasan will be off-limits to the public to pave way for clean-up initiatives.

Badian is a 3rd class municipality located 104.2 kilometers southwest of Cebu City.

Kawasan Falls has been a growing tourist attraction, especially with canyoneering tours and other water-themed outdoor activities.

Downstream, the water coming from the three-layered falls flows to the Matutinao River and traversing across a secluded canyon where canyoneering activities usually take place.

Read more: https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/375347/what-to-expect-in-kawasan-reopening#ixzz6tZCOHgsB
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Not able to understand why this place is so popular. Admittedly last time visited was perhaps around 7 years ago. Molested by so called guides on the short walk to the falls which were crowded and dirty. Perhaps its changed now, I doubt it. Further south did visit some lovely scenic falls far more spectacular and nicer, how ever one needs transport. Perhaps this has also changed.

Enjoying nature one thing that does bug me is everywhere one goes a guide is required, sure I would be happy to make a donation to the barangay but why must I have a guide when i already been to the area many times. 

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, RBM said:

Not able to understand why this place is so popular. Admittedly last time visited was perhaps around 7 years ago. Molested by so called guides on the short walk to the falls which were crowded and dirty. Perhaps its changed now, I doubt it. Further south did visit some lovely scenic falls far more spectacular and nicer, how ever one needs transport. Perhaps this has also changed.

Enjoying nature one thing that does bug me is everywhere one goes a guide is required, sure I would be happy to make a donation to the barangay but why must I have a guide when i already been to the area many times. 

I thoroughly recommend the canyoneering.  A good day out and pretty cheap. You need an average level of fitness though as there's a bit of walking and scrambling over rocks. 

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RBM said:

I first went to the falls in 2004.  Not many people and it was enjoyable.  Went about five years ago and it was as you described, overrun, crowded, and vendors anxious to rip you off.  The governor made them tear down all the illegal vendor buildings and shelters that had been built up along the water.  My last visit was shortly before covid and it was still crowded but a lot cleaner and better organised. 

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Mike J said:

One of Cebu’s most popular tourist destinations, Kawasan Falls, is set to reopen any time soon, approximately a year since it was closed due to threats of COVID-19.

Did they turn the water off while it was closed :whistling:

• Haha 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
On 5/1/2021 at 7:59 AM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Did they turn the water off while it was closed :whistling:

You think you are joking, but it's really possible. Kan Umantad Falls in Bohol is one of the most spectacular waterfalls in the Philippines, but it only flows on weekends. Most of the time the water goes to the very large number of rice terraces nearby.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Guy F. said:

You think you are joking, but it's really possible. Kan Umantad Falls in Bohol is one of the most spectacular waterfalls in the Philippines, but it only flows on weekends. Most of the time the water goes to the very large number of rice terraces nearby.

Here is a picture.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Mike J said:

Here is a picture.

image.jpeg

That photo shows only about a third or quarter of the narrower upper portion. The nearby rice terraces are very reminiscent of the famous rice terraces at Banaue. There's a nice resort and no harassment from local "guides", vendors and such.

• Like 3

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic