A Taste of Home? Or at Least a Break from Virus Posts?

Gator
Posted
Posted

Sounds great! Thank for the recipe. I love fresh asparagus, but prefer it lightly roasted. Blanched first, the same as you do it, then tossed in some olive oil, salt and garlic. Finish with a bit of lemon or lime juice  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Baked potatoes - standard fare for Americans, not so much for Filipinos, but L loves them with the butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder, grated cheddar cheese and sour cream on top.

WTH - no bacon bits???? :tongue:  Food sounds great.  BTW - you can order wood chips on Lazada.

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

WTH - no bacon bits???? 

I have a couple of jars of Hormel Bacon Bits, but once opened, they mold out very quickly - even in the refrigerator. And I was too lazy to fry some fresh...:sad:

I just checked online with Lazada... They sell Cherry, Apple, Hickory, Acacia and other wood chips for bbq, but I could not find alder.:sad: If you are from the Pacific NW, you know that only alder really works well with salmon... For some reason, the tastes and aromas blend perfectly... I don't need any yet, but someday I will run out, so I am scouting now...

Edited by Tommy T.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I have a couple of jars of Hormel Bacon Bits, but once opened, they mold out very quickly - even in the refrigerator. And I was too lazy to fry some fresh...:sad:

I just checked online with Lazada... They sell Cherry, Apple, Hickory, Acacia and other wood chips for bbq, but I could not find alder.:sad: If you are from the Pacific NW, you know that only alder really works well with salmon... For some reason, the tastes and aromas blend perfectly... I don't need any yet, but someday I will run out, so I am scouting now...

Alder is also what I always used when I smoked salmon in my smoker.   I wonder how apple would taste?   You could order alder chips via Amazon but the shipping might be a bit high. 

• Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gator said:

I love fresh asparagus, but prefer it lightly roasted. Blanched first, the same as you do it, then tossed in some olive oil, salt and garlic. Finish with a bit of lemon or lime juice  

Yeah... that sounds perfect! I, too, prefer asparagus when lightly roasted on a bbq grill... But it is a bit fiddly for me and I am too lazy to tend to turning it constantly to make it just right. We love asparagus, but not the smell of burnt rubber later....:whistling:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Mike J said:

You could order alder chips via Amazon but the shipping might be a bit high. 

I think it would be prohibitively expensive considering that the wood chips are so cheap in Seattle, then tack on the shipping here? Oh well... keep on looking. Maybe next salmon I might try the apple and see how that goes?