Transport - The Rich Get Richer?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Sometimes I see cars here in the Philippines and wonder how filthy rich the owners must be if they can easily afford cars like these!  Talk about haves and have nots!  These must be some of the oligarchy families.  These vehicles cost a fortune in the West and when I have looked for prices here, they are usually double!

Currently, I think a lot of the rich have abandoned Manila, if they have someplace to go.  A lot of houses in the Freeport are summer or weekend houses for the rich Manileños, and some seem to be occupied full time now.  Yesterday morning I was walking past one that seemed very nice but empty a few months back but now there are always cars there.  Very expensive cars!

Blue range rover and Ferrari in the morning.  Then I walked again in the evening and two guys appeared to be delivering 2 more brand new jets skis (not the ones show).  In the circular driveway that goes down off the street, there is a Mercedes and a couple of big Ford SUVs.

186031907_934133040489002_4375067517015312478_n.jpg  183939443_527101891626137_8743911407540413452_n.jpg

Then today there were two other Range Rovers.  Maybe this is a car dealer's house.

186193538_478245850053036_7244877146884169788_n.jpg

This afternoon I was coming home and there was an Aston Martin Vanquish S in front of me.  20-30 million pesos?  He turned into the industrial area.  I think he saw me taking a picture and took off fast.  Sweet sound!

183524552_372154694205868_6813926528029859609_n.jpg  184290092_493996111747915_3784739449721211110_n.jpg

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

So now I go to Royal and this is parked in front of HMR.  Owner of HMR?

IMG20210514164813.jpg

IMG20210514164827.jpg

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Such cars are pretty much wasted on Phils roads... but , if you can afford it... by all means show everyone you have a big dick. :whatever:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

My thought are they all original and genuine or replicas made somewhere? Then who knows what percentage the bank owns of these vehicles. Personally they would not suit me if I was rich and more so here where there's a good chance of being targeted by thieves/ highjackers etc so show off what you have while your alive as tomorrow might be a different story. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

My thought are they all original and genuine or replicas made somewhere? Then who knows what percentage the bank owns of these vehicles. Personally they would not suit me if I was rich and more so here where there's a good chance of being targeted by thieves/ highjackers etc so show off what you have while your alive as tomorrow might be a different story. 

There may be replicas out there.  When I first drove by the blue lambo with the wing, I was thinking it might be a replica, but when I walked up to it, I'm sure it was the real deal.  The black Ferrari is real too and it is a few years old.

The Aston Martin, not so sure.  I only saw it from the rear.  Sounded good, but it could sound like that with any nice V8 in it.  As far as I could see, they don't sell Aston Martins here so if it were imported, someone would have to pay a huge import tax, over or under the table.

Yes, it would seem stupid to flash your money around like that and you should be using the passenger seat for your bodyguard.  Only a guess, but perhaps spoiled rich kids are the market.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

There may be replicas out there.  When I first drove by the blue lambo with the wing, I was thinking it might be a replica, but when I walked up to it, I'm sure it was the real deal.  The black Ferrari is real too and it is a few years old.

The Aston Martin, not so sure.  I only saw it from the rear.  Sounded good, but it could sound like that with any nice V8 in it.  As far as I could see, they don't sell Aston Martins here so if it were imported, someone would have to pay a huge import tax, over or under the table.

Yes, it would seem stupid to flash your money around like that and you should be using the passenger seat for your bodyguard.  Only a guess, but perhaps spoiled rich kids are the market.

I dont know and cars are not my specialty either. I've seen some here in Cebu that to me just look like plastic but who knows.

Heeb
Posted
Posted

The neighbor next to me in the Freeport has some expensive cars, Ferrari and Porsche 911 turbo, they are the real deal, got a close up look when my dog urinated on his wheel. They don’t have proper registration so I don’t think he takes them outside the Freeport. There’s a few others around with high end vehicles as well. Me, 2008 diesel Fortuner.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

afford cars like these! 

I guess I am just old. My thought is "what a waste of a good Auto!" Own a car that goes 120 mph in first gear in a place where the average speed is 20 mph :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Now a Mercedes or a BMW I can see, they are comfortable cars if your in gridlock:thumbsup:

8 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

My thought are they all original

couple of years ago we were dropping off something at a church in a subdivision. There was a Mustang 5 liter sitting there waiting for the "blessing". Hood was open and I sauntered over for a look. It was the real deal!

I asked the owner (who was more than glad to preen in front of a Kano). Just where the heck can he drive this thing to its potential? He just grinned and said "toll roads!"

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, scott h said:

I asked the owner (who was more than glad to preen in front of a Kano). Just where the heck can he drive this thing to its potential? He just grinned and said "toll roads!"

Yes, and SCTEX is a favorite.  4-5 years ago I think I posted about getting passed on SCTEX by a Bentley going 200+ kph.  I used to cruise out there at maybe 120-130, but no more.  They have some speed guns deployed and will get you for over 110.  And you have to go to Manila to pay it.

We have a lot of Mustangs here.  It seems to be a favorite of retired expats, and we have a Ford dealer here.  My neighbor's rich Filipino father has a Shelby Cobra.

• Like 1