How do you feel about condos in the Philippines?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

A condo could be rented out when not occupied. Not sure how practical this would be but it is possible. 

• Love it 1

Explorer
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Shady said:

As you know there's no "jointly", this is the only reason condos are so popular, because the one and only benefit over a house in a nice village (not province) they have is you can own it in your own name.

I don't think so, just by counting the number of Mercedeses and BMWs in my Cebu condo parking, I am sure many of their filipino owners can afford buying houses and put them in their own name, but they still prefer to live in a condo. Condo lifestyle has many benefits over living in a house, it is a matter of personal decision.

Edited by Explorer
  • Like 4

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Im in a great condo in centre of Makati. Im on my 3rd condo and the last two both did quite well in terms of appreciation.

To counter the effect of living in limited space ( mine is 125 sq metres only ) we travel and rent houses/villas etc by airbnb so we get some space.

Condos provide convenience but they come with limitations. The biggest plus is that its in MY NAME so selling is relatively  easy ( though when you actually sell them there is amass of documentation required and incredible number of forms and contracts to sign ..)

Owning a house will always require maintenance because of the sun rain and wind and poor workmanship generally. In condo I just call someone to something fixed.

in a house, when you go away, everyone knows and thereby a risk of theft increases. Condo, I just lock and go .

Its whatever works for you.

When covid is under control, I will buy another condo in an area i like in UK as staying full time in Philippines is tiring and a change of scenery is always good to get away from the occasional chao of here. And again, it will be a condo purely for convenience as a house requires more attention and time  that I can give it.

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Its whatever works for you.

Exactly.

I've done Condo living in Hong Kong and the UK, and house in the UK and here.  Both had significant pros and cons over each other and the pros in one condo were also the cons in another (noise for example) - same for houses.  We chose a house here simply because it represented much better value for money in terms of space and location but that won't be the case everywhere. If you have kids, a house probably fits the family's needs better, if not then the space advantage a house has won't be as relevant.

Very much horses for courses. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Finally I bought my own condo at a bargain price inside a resort on Boracay.  Only 3 floors and mine is top floor, built on a hill surrounded by jungle and well maintained tropical gardens with two pools and a jacuzzi. Zero burning, dogs, cockerels or videoke. Hardly use air con as the island is so narrow and the wind blows constantly, bright, airy and ideal size at 64 sqm for two adults and a rug rat. Overheads are only about 5k that includes water, electricity and management fees which cover insurance, security and maintenance.  All modern conveniences on my doorstep. You couldn't book one night in the resort for what I pay per month.

Hey  Snowy... I appreciate greatly what you relate about your condo in the resort...

Not to sound like I am raining on your parade, but... Did you not complain bitterly about the leaky roof that the manager could/would not fix? Or have I mixed up some posts here? And some plumbing issues with cement used to fix water leaks rather than using proper fittings? That is very possible...if so...sorry... I just want to make sure the truth is told...:smile: