How do you feel about condos in the Philippines?

RBM
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I came close to buying there but almost twice the price and laid out like a hotel room.  Fantastic grounds though with the golf course and semi private beach.

Snowy as an ex keen golfer any idea price of green fees...(Sorry off subject again)

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, RBM said:

Snowy as an ex keen golfer any idea price of green fees...(Sorry off subject again)

I heard 6k but you may be able to check online.  It looks a decent and well maintained course. You can buy membership though but again I don't know the price. 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Explorer said:

I don't think so, just by counting the number of Mercedeses and BMWs in my Cebu condo parking, I am sure many of their filipino owners can afford buying houses and put them in their own name, but they still prefer to live in a condo. Condo lifestyle has many benefits over living in a house, it is a matter of personal decision.

I am sure you are correct, Explorer.

I will point out that - two years ago when L and I were shopping for homes or condos, we learned that many, many condos, at least here in Davao, are owned by Filipinos who use them only for vacations. So many remain vacant much of the year, then are occupied maybe for a few weeks at Christmas, Easter or whenever. The owners also have relatives or friends stay in these condos from time to time. For some it is simply a real estate investment that is sure to appreciate - if current trends continue.

I would not want to live in a condo near or next to any of these, since vacationers tend to be noisy, often inconsiderate and may load up a one br unit with 10 people for a week... But not always...

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

If the picture is to be believed, you are the only one alive there. :cryingwhilelaughing_anim: Must be nice.

There's three couples here for 508 apartments and about 6 security guards and 20 gardeners and maintenance people. 

Pre covid even with tourists it's surprisingly quiet. The walls are a good 18 inch thick concrete, solid slab floors and strict no noise policy. 

• Like 5

graham59
Posted
Posted

Here are the 'playing fields' at the back of our place. Ideal for a bit of badminton practice in the cooler evening. (Must buy a net sometime :89: ).

Badminton.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

Shady
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2021 at 9:43 AM, Explorer said:

by counting the number of Mercedeses and BMWs in my Cebu condo parking, I am sure many of their filipino owners can afford buying houses

I actually know some Mercedeses and BMWs owners who aren't Filipino...

Edited by Shady
  • Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Shady said:

I actually know some Mercedeses and BMWs owners who aren't Filipino...

Hmm....

186481257_738244376872537_452747281360602708_n.jpg

• Haha 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Maybe it's my old "Peace Corp mentality" that I've kept, but I enjoy the sense of local community and getting to know more about local Filipinos' language and ways that has been endearing and important to me out here living in our house in Cebu province, a town apart from my husband's family. A condo in the city might have kept me to insulated from that I think.

Let me say that it is only small doses though-- I love the privacy and peace inside our gate the most!:smile:

• Like 5

Shady
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

A condo in the city might have kept me to insulated from that I think.

Brings up an interesting point. In cities like NY they'll drop a luxury condo in the middle of a ghetto, but in PH cities, high-end condo builders avoid the 'less developed' areas.

• Like 1