How do you feel about condos in the Philippines?

earthdome
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Yes...qualify on both counts. 

If I was to spend my days worrying about 'security'  issues, to the point of paranoia, (as in property unoccupied for a couple of hours) I wouldn't live here !

Agree. We are looking at leaving a property empty for months at a time while we are back in the USA which is different than leaving for a few hours or days.

graham59
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, earthdome said:

Agree. We are looking at leaving a property empty for months at a time while we are back in the USA which is different than leaving for a few hours or days.

Don't think I'd do that.

I'd just rent. Who needs the worry when away ?  Life is as stressful a you care to make it.

Just my opinion. 

• Like 2

Shady
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

As for the security guards and 'secure compounds' here...about as much use as chocolate fireguards, IMHO

Seems like Filipinos know their cities better than you do, considering armed guards and walled compounds are how they protect what they value.  They work, and their high prices reflect that success.

Shady
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, earthdome said:

We are looking at leaving a property empty for months at a time while we are back in the USA

No worries if you're in a good subdivision.

graham59
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Shady said:

Seems like Filipinos know their cities better than you do, considering armed guards and walled compounds are how they protect what they value.  They work, and their high prices reflect that success.

Thanks for the lecture.

I've lived in the Philippines for longer than the average Filipino...and in many property types, and varied locations. :smile:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Shady said:

No worries if you're in a good subdivision.

No matter where the house is, IMHO you need a caretaker of some sort.  Critters take over very fast here so you need someone to go inside every 2-4 weeks, check things and clean a bit.  Ideally.  If you have a garden, that requires upkeep too.

• Like 4

Shady
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, graham59 said:

Thanks for the lecture.

Nothing personal, but any foreigner who thinks they know the culture better than locals do kinda deserves a lecture :biggrin:

5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

No matter where the house is, IMHO you need a caretaker of some sort.  Critters take over very fast here so you need someone to go inside every 2-4 weeks, check things and clean a bit.

Not a bad idea but that applies to condos as well. Condos or any big buildings are actually worse, at least with a detached house you can control the whole structure.

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
On 5/23/2021 at 6:05 AM, Mike J said:

Quite an adventure, and not a good one, for sure.  Curious, was the 200K for the three condo or just the Aveo?   

Definitely not an adventure I would like to go through again., even if I will end up making a 200%+ profit (which looks unlikely, given the market).

$200K for the Aeon unit only, including 1 parking lot.

You might be confusing it with the Alveo (Ayala) condos across the road. They are mid-end Ayala high-rises with admittedly more modest specs but better amenities. Plus they were delivered only 1 year late, and fully completed, rather than 4 years late and 50% completed. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

You might be confusing it with the Alveo (Ayala) condos across the road. They are mid-end Ayala high-rises with admittedly more modest specs but better amenities. Plus they were delivered only 1 year late, and fully completed, rather than 4 years late and 50% completed. 

My sister-in-law lives in an Ayala unit here in Iloilo.  The public areas are OK, but rather underwhelming although they do have a very nice swimming pool.  The unit itself is fine, no significant problems albeit again a little underwhelming.  Compared to what I lived in in Hong Kong before, the finishes here are very average.  

That said, for $200K in Hong Kong you would not be able to buy anything at all, not even a tiny, tiny studio.  

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Shady said:

Not a bad idea but that applies to condos as well. Condos or any big buildings are actually worse

I have only stayed in a high rise condos when renting an Air BnB.  Every single one either had ants or had signs warning about ants.  They apparently climb to any floor!  You are never out of reach!

• Like 1