Sinovac or Astrozeneca?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I sit here and wonder, what we are all going to do IF Sinovac is all that is left because all others have been Prefered :89: Just a Thought? :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Thoughts?

If given the choice, I recommend getting the vaccine with the highest efficacy--Chinavac is on the low side of that scale. With any vaccine, side effects will vary from person to person. I was fortunate to have no side effects with Moderna, but my asawa's arm blew up like a balloon after each of the 2 shots. 

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

@BrettGC and @GeoffH, I guess Astra Zeneca is the only option down under?  I don't mind some mild reactions.  Have others shared their reactions with you?  I would like to avoid full on flu-like reaction because of my current BP situation.

The current situation in Oz is that over 50s get the Astra Zeneca vaccine (which is available in adequate numbers right now) and that under 50s can choose to have the Astra Zeneca shot now or wait their turn for the limited supplies of Pfizer vaccinne.

My Doctor said he just had a sore arm for 2 days, my friend said he didn't really have any side effects at all.  From the small amount of people I've heard from my reaction was toward the higher end of the range (not that it was in any way serious).

• Like 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Having had the first jab of Astra Zeneca, I had no real side effect other than a mild dull headache the day of and the next day. I took one Tylenol and it went away. My husband had no adverse reactions. I was attracted to Astra Zeneca because of it's higher efficacy rate and help on some variants. If Sinovac had been the only vaccine available though, I would still have been grateful to get it. Protection against getting a potentially severe covid case is great with any vaccine.

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

They started the vaccines today and they are giving AZ first because it is part of the batch that will be expiring soon.

For AZ, how long til the second jab?

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

They started the vaccines today and they are giving AZ first because it is part of the batch that will be expiring soon.

For AZ, how long til the second jab?

I believe it's 4 to six weeks, but can be up to 12 and still be effective, I've read.

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

According to this you wont be given a choice until you wait in line.

Do People Need To Know Which COVID-19 Vaccine They're Getting? One Country Says No

The Philippines' Health Department says it will no longer allow local governments to announce which brand of coronavirus vaccines will be available at inoculation sites.

The move comes after hundreds of people this week lined up at a site in Manila when they found out the Pfizer vaccine would be given out there.

"What we're going to enforce now is brand agnostic," Undersecretary Myrna Cabotaje told CNN Philippines' The Source.

From now on, only people already in line at a vaccination site will be told which shot they'll get and "if they do not like the vaccines that are given during that time, then they go to the end of the line," Cabotaje said.

On Tuesday, residents lined up outside the Manila Prince Hotel as early as 2 a.m. for a chance to get one of the 900 Pfizer jabs that the local government announced could be given to walk-ins, reports Rappler.com.

Manila Mayor Isko Moreno told CNN Philippines that the preference for the Pfizer vaccine may have been why people chose that specific site out of the nearly 20 in the city.

The Philippines, which has the second-highest COVID-19 infection rate in Southeast Asia, has seven vaccines in its arsenal, but the rollout has been slow. Today less than 1% of the population of 108 million has been fully vaccinated.

China's Sinovac vaccine, which has an efficacy of about 67% according to a recent study done in Chile, makes up the bulk of the doses available in the Philippines. Only about 200,000 doses of the Pfizer vaccine — with an efficacy of 95% — are available, and none of the vaccine produced by Moderna is available.

Health experts say that people waiting out higher efficacy vaccines, along with rampant misinformation, bad messaging from the government and fresh memories of the troubled 2016 rollout of the dengue fever vaccine DengVaxia that put thousands of children in danger, have contributed to vaccine hesitancy in the Philippines.

GLOBAL HEALTH
Dengue Vaccine Controversy In The Philippines
Earlier this year, a Pulse Asia survey revealed that 6 in 10 Filipinos did not want to get vaccinated against COVID-

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2021/05/19/998139555/do-people-need-to-know-which-covid-19-vaccine-theyre-getting-one-country-says-no

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Manila Mayor Isko Moreno told CNN Philippines

Yeah I saw him on the evening news and boy did he looked pissed (yankee pissed, not british drunk :hystery:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I did Phizer, 11 days since the second shot. Only a bit of an ache in the arm that night on the first shot. Second shot was a bit more of an ache and a slight fever on day 2.

My wife has had the first shot of Moderna. She really got an achy sore arm from that. She hasn't had the second shot yet.

We decided to get the vaccine at different days so if we had a strong reaction we wouldn't get it at the same time.

• Like 5

Yeochief
Posted
Posted

With a populations of right at 111 million, the below would help a lot in the Philippines.

Philippines to get 40 million doses of Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine by Q3 of 2021: DOH | ABS-CBN News

MANILA - About 40 million doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine candidate are expected to be delivered to the Philippines by the third quarter of 2021, the Department of Health (DOH) said on Monday. 

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic