Sinovac or Astrozeneca?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

On 5/31/2021 at 2:55 PM, OnMyWay said:

I got the AZ jab this morning.  No side effects yet.  In fact, this was the first injection I have ever had where I felt NOTHING!  Not even a pin prick.  I doubted that she even gave it to me until I got home and saw blood on the cotton.

I arrived at 8 am.  They opened at 8:30.  I left at 10:30.  There were probably 50 people ahead of me when I arrived.  The 30 minute early arrival was wasted because at 8:30 they said "seniors go over here" without regard to where you were in line.  I was #45 senior and seniors went first.  It was fairly organized.

This is the renovated Subic Gymnasium where they give the shots.  My first time to see the renovation.  Very nice and it was cool.

192944843_955358258613399_7502186633636091018_n.jpg

Lots of expats.  Happened to be 4 in front of me when I took this pick.  I ran into a few people I know.  An American I know was there and I thought he was about 50 but he said he just turned 60 and snuck in under the wire!

187871663_880194999227302_9110650632102515997_n.jpg

I got my 2nd AZ jab today.  First was May 31, so it was about 10 weeks.  So far, no side effects.  They delayed me for a while because they said my BP was too high on the BP machine.  I know when my BP is high and I did not feel like it was high.  The guy in front of me said the same.  And the friend I mentioned before was the same.  The doc finally took it with a manual BP setup and it was 140/80, good to go.

That friend said he had a lot of side effects from the first one.  He is a big healthy muscular guy.  He said when they gave him the first one it hurt a lot immediately and then he had chills later in the evening and felt really bad the next day.  Me, nothing, and I hope the same for today's jab.

• Like 4

Joey G
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

They delayed me for a while because they said my BP was too high on the BP machine. 

I didn't know they were testing for that to get a vaccine... it definitely isn't happening in the USA... they didn't even ask about it.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

I didn't know they were testing for that to get a vaccine... it definitely isn't happening in the USA... they didn't even ask about it.

Yes, I think they do that everywhere in the Philippines.  They only deny you if you are over 180, which is reasonable, but they don't consider many factors before they take your BP.  I had a BP incident back in April and since then I am very sensitive to when my BP is high.  I can feel it and measuring confirms it.  Since I started new meds back then, my BP is normally very good in the 110-130 / 70-90 range.  If it goes to 140, I feel it.

My cardiologist and other experts say you should sit down and rest for 5 minutes before taking BP.

Here is what they are doing wrong at the SBMA vaccination events.

1.  There are 6 sections that take you through the process.  Each section has plastic chairs that the queue sits in.  When the queue moves up one spot, you stand up then sit down in the next chair.  Stand up, sit down.  I would guess that there are 75-100 chairs, so basically you are exercising before your BP is taken.

2.  They will often try to take BP with a cuff that is too small for a large upper arm.  I had mine taken twice with a machine and the cuff was too small.  170 and 180 measured.  So they flagged me for a rest  and then he took it manually.  140/80.

3.  The tables are too high and/or the chairs too low.  My arm is too high when they take the BP.

So lots of people get flagged up for high BP.  Exercise for a while and then check your BP.  It is naturally higher and that is ok.

• Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Joey G said:

They tested my BP in Australia before vaccinating me with Astra Zeneca, not sure what the upper limit was but mine was under it.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

My second AZ jab is due 25th of this month. No after-effects last time. 

At first they said my heartbeat was too fast. Like... wtf has that got to do with anything ? :89:

Phils has a way of doing stuff all of its own... as we all know. :rolleyes:

BP was 110 over 80, so no probs there, and that's  20 points lower than it was, since  I gave up the fags. 

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Joey G said:

Well in May they said they will do away with testing but I guess not all got the memo.

Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire says the decision is based on the recommendation of experts that there is no need to do vital signs screening before vaccination

To avoid long queues and cut waiting time, the Department of Health (DOH) said that vital signs screening is no longer required before COVID-19 vaccination.

In a press briefing on Friday, May 14, Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said that upon review of their system, they found that "certain processes within our system" are delaying the inoculation of individuals who are already in the vaccination site.

"One of those is the vital signs screening – taking blood pressure, temperature, pulse rate, and heart rate," she said.

Vergeire said that the DOH issued the new guidelines for the vaccination process, removing the screening of vital signs, based on the recommendation of the Philippine Society of Hypertension and the Philippine Heart Association.

Full story https://www.rappler.com/nation/doh-says-vital-signs-screening-no-longer-required-covid-19-vaccination

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Well in May they said they will do away with testing but I guess not all got the memo.

I shared this with some SBMA administrators.

• Like 1

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I got my 2nd AZ jab today.  First was May 31, so it was about 10 weeks.  So far, no side effects.  They delayed me for a while because they said my BP was too high on the BP machine.  I know when my BP is high and I did not feel like it was high.  The guy in front of me said the same.  And the friend I mentioned before was the same.  The doc finally took it with a manual BP setup and it was 140/80, good to go.

I have had both Sinovac jabs now. On both occasions my BP was normal prior to the jab, but immediately after it went up about 15 points. After about 15 minutes following the jab it returned to normal. My wife has had her first AZ jab and her BP also went up about 10 points immediately after the jab returning to normal again after about 15 minutes.

I guess they are just being cautious.

graham59
Posted
Posted

Taking blood pressure I can understand.

A variable such as pulse/heart rate, unless the person was in obvious distress ? No.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 8/9/2021 at 11:03 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

The SBMA chairwoman responded to me and said the DOH still requires the vital signs.  I looked at that article you gave and found that all the major news outlets reported the same on May 14th.  However, apparently it was never officially approved and never started.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic