Plummeting Education Standards Are a National Emergency

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Shady said:

Good, one should learn the history of their own nation and their own Western culture.  The problem with US education is that history is being re-written and students are being indoctrinated.

Dd802hNU0AAm8S6?format=jpg&name=900x900

One thing I've learned from history is that we don't learn from history. :whistling: We just recognise it when we repeat the same thing. 

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, earthdome said:

Finally we got her into a preschool 2 mornings a week in February and more recently formed a local filipino play group and meet at a park weekly.

My youngest will be 5 next week and not being in pre-school this year has been bad for her.  They have online pre-school but we didn't think it would work for us.  She will be enrolled in online Kindergarten in June.  My 7 year old has been in online school for first grade but it can't hold a candle to face-to-face.

We have been very lucky this past year in that there are 10+ school age kids (most are 4-9) that gather every evening in the cul-de-sac behind us to play.  We let the kids go every day or every other day.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 5/20/2021 at 8:15 AM, Queenie O. said:

My brother and sister back in the States own a mail order company that makes classroom maps. My brother also does workshops in local schools. Knowledge about geography is sorely lacking in US schools too!  Many adults are lacking in geography too.:sad:

Here I've in the past asked local children about towns' names not far from us. Some children knew, but others did not.

I found a small world map a National yesterday but they did not have any big ones.  It was only 16 pesos so I got it but I will look for larger.  Perhaps a school supply store.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Look at the US schooling and news and you will see that it all is aimed almost totally at USA and North American history and geography. Ignorance is bliss regarding other countries and races until the "news" picks up a crisis and that becomes the topic of the day.

I'm finding this hard to believe.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

students have really enjoyed and responded to learning more about the geography of their own places, and the world as well.

Like most subjects, so much is dependent on the teacher.  A good teacher keeps the attention of the student, no matter the subject, and makes it fun to learn.  I'm speaking about younger kids.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Like most subjects, so much is dependent on the teacher.  A good teacher keeps the attention of the student, no matter the subject, and makes it fun to learn.  I'm speaking about younger kids.

I never met a teacher yet who could make math(s) interesting!  Joking apart, the teaching of subjects in my school was very bland and few teachers made much effort to ignite a passion for learning.  I'm not blaming them really, it's easier said than done.  

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I never met a teacher yet who could make math(s) interesting!  Joking apart, the teaching of subjects in my school was very bland and few teachers made much effort to ignite a passion for learning.  I'm not blaming them really, it's easier said than done.  

Math was always my weakest subject HK.. I remember during Algebra, looking out the window and day dreaming through many a class lesson.:smile:  The subjects that you liked the best always seemed to come easier.:smile:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Math was always my weakest subject HK.. I remember during Algebra, looking out the window and day dreaming through many a class lesson.:smile:  The subjects that you liked the best always seemed to come easier.:smile:

Apologies for some of the language but it adds to the effect. :whistling:

• Haha 3

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I found a small world map a National yesterday but they did not have any big ones.  It was only 16 pesos so I got it but I will look for larger.  Perhaps a school supply store.

OMW,  

A decent atlas geared to young students'  might also be a good learning tool or jumping off point.  FULLY BOOKED on Lazada has some that might be of interest to you. Just a thought.:smile:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

It was by far my weakest subject too, Queenie.  Strangely enough, I excelled at Arithmetic.  100% agree with your last sentence but I wonder if we excel because we enjoy or vice versa.  

• Love it 1