Plummeting Education Standards Are a National Emergency

Shady
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

there is a tiny chance we might move to California. 

Commiefornia, where they teach children to hate their country and culture? It would be difficult to find a worse place imo

California nightmare: How high taxes, rampant crime, suffocating wokery, streets littered with homeless addicts, and years of liberal policies are blamed for ruining the Golden State... as thousands of families flee to Republican Texas and Florida     California has seen its population decline for first time in state's 171-year history. Families are being driven away by cost of living, crime fears, taxes and wildfires  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9608111/How-high-taxes-rampant-crime-streets-littered-addicts-blamed-ruining-Golden-State.html 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Shady said:

Commiefornia, where they teach children to hate their country and culture? It would be difficult to find a worse place imo

I was being facetious, but you should lighten up a bit.  You are preaching to the choir but we are not supposed to get into politics.  See my other post about the property I would buy there.  If I buy it I will build a school.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, OnMyWay said:

You are preaching to the choir but we are not supposed to get into politics.

Off topic, not education nor politics, just the standard of life in our home state of california.

Just saw a story on the news about Venice beach. Basically all along the seawall in the sand next to the paved foot path, homeless have set up tents and cardboard shelters. Swimmers and beach goers have to thread there way threw them to the water. 

Life guards and police have been instructed not to remove them,,,,:boohoo:

• Sad 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, scott h said:

Off topic, not education nor politics, just the standard of life in our home state of california.

Just saw a story on the news about Venice beach. Basically all along the seawall in the sand next to the paved foot path, homeless have set up tents and cardboard shelters. Swimmers and beach goers have to thread there way threw them to the water. 

Life guards and police have been instructed not to remove them,,,,:boohoo:

There are some videos on You Tube about Venice Beach.  I always thought it was a bit scummy there when I was younger and after I moved away it cleaned up for a while.  Now it seems to be back to scummy again.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
On 5/22/2021 at 9:10 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Even back in the day there were some who had calculators during math tests.  

I didn't mind calculators being allowed in year 11 and year 12 examinations, they were only replacing log books (or for the more well off slide rules) and they were not allowed to be programmable calculators and memories had to be wiped (and inspected by the examiner).

We had 'science' for year 7-9 (I think that's basically like US middle school?) but from year 10-12 we had a choice of doing 'Chemisty, Physics or Biology' or all 3. 

As for Maths years 7-10 had Maths 1 and Maths 2 (or General maths or remidial maths) and years 11-12 had Pure Mathematics and Applied Maths or General Maths (no remidial math at those levels).

There are even more levels and grades of maths for year 11-12 now... 5 of them in fact (and some of them are more advanced than we did back in the 70s).  Basically university level specialized maths for those capable.

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

Bringing things back on topic the commision on higher education just came out with a beauty on a live seminar.

In the college and higher education level, the return to the traditional face-to-face classes is now unlikely as the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) adopts a policy to implement Flexible Learning in the coming school years.
“From now on, Flexible Learning will be the norm. There is no going back to the traditional, full-packed face-to-face classrooms,” CHED chairman J. Prospero de Vera III said in a webinar on Friday, May 21, 2021.
“If we go back to the traditional face-to-face classroom, we run the risk of exposing our stakeholders to the same risks if another pandemic comes in,” he added.
The old paradigm of face-to-face versus online will now disappear, de Vera said, as universities will be mandated to adapt a flexible system to "mix-and-match flexible learning methods appropriate to their situation.”

The scary thing is education appears to be dumbing down World wide.  In Scotland one of our political parties who will be proping the government up wants to ban all exams as it puts pressure on students and raise the school starting age to 7yrs old.  

• Sad 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

The man is an idiot.  

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Snowy79 said:
From now on, Flexible Learning will be the norm. There is no going back to the traditional, full-packed face-to-face classrooms,” CHED chairman J. Prospero de Vera III said in a webinar on Friday, May 21, 2021.
“If we go back to the traditional face-to-face classroom, we run the risk of exposing our stakeholders to the same risks if another pandemic comes in,” he added.

Well there one hell of a lot of schools in the country. Wonder what they will be doing with them if not using them for teaching. ????

Shady
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

we are not supposed to get into politics.

Lol, little difficult to discuss education without getting into politics, especially considering political policy is to blame for the decline of academia in the US.

PH education has a radical commie problem too, the big difference is in the PH it's one private elite university, and in US states it's the entirety of public education from the boards down to the teachers.

The Maoists, starting in the early martial law years, succeeded in making our premier state educational institution, the University of the Philippines (UP), the Communist Party of the Philippines’ (CPP) intellectual and cultural base.

The CPP has consolidated and expanded its control of the UP, which has continued to be its recruitment grounds, its de facto party school, and one of its most powerful propaganda machines. The UP’s bigger non-communist academic and student community have just looked away. There has been no ideological and cultural counter-force to the communists’ hegemony over the UP.

https://www.manilatimes.net/2021/01/11/opinion/columnists/topanalysis/how-communists-gained-control-of-up-student-council-philippine-collegian-and-most-campus-organizations/826302/