Rough Idea Of Costs To Build A Medium Sized Home?

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Michael H said:

My fiancee has a (smallish) lot in Leyte at the ocean

It might not matter if her lot is on the East coast or on a leeward stretch if the typhoon coming in is strong enough, but you will have to consider and prepare for it. 

https://www.rappler.com/nation/features-typhoon-resistant-house

• Like 3

jimeve
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Michael H said:

May I ask did you build it in stages for a particular reason?

The reason i did it in stages was finance, we started to build in 2004, coming over for 3-4 months every other year, building when we was here then stop and go back to England to work. We did this up to 2014 when it was almost finished. bedrooms were first to be completed so we could live in the house. 

• Like 3

Michael H
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, jimeve said:

The reason i did it in stages was finance, we started to build in 2004, coming over for 3-4 months every other year, building when we was here then stop and go back to England to work. We did this up to 2014 when it was almost finished. bedrooms were first to be completed so we could live in the house. 

Ah I see, thanks for clarifying, makes sense! Not sure what our approach will be yet, at the very early stages of planning... :)

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Michael H said:

Google results were saying 100k pesos or so which seemed too good to be true... but looking at a few threads on here I saw a figure mentioned which was in excess of 1M pesos?

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1360214/build-typhoon-resistant-houses-in-vulnerable-areas-govt-told

This article mentions P 120,000 to 150,000 for a government/charity core abode. The ones in my neighborhood were built at 170,000 for a simple post/beam and 1/2 block wall house with outside wall attached CR. 4 sided roof. 1 door and 2 or 3 slat windows. steel roof was on a hardwood frame from what I saw as they built it in front of my eyes near by. These are minimal. Cooking ledge on outside of house. They are safe however. Usually the owners around here did add-ons later. 

• Like 3

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Michael H said:

Hi All

Apologies if this has been asked before! I was just looking for a ball park figure on how much it costs to build a medium sized home in the Philippines?

My fiancee has a (smallish) lot in Leyte at the ocean which we are thinking to build our retirement home on, depending on costs it would be great to start sometime next year with a view to early retirement (I'm currently 43 and would love to retire asap...)

Not looking to build something too huge or swanky, 3 bedrooms, 3 stories perhaps to accommodate this as its not the biggest lot.

Google results were saying 100k pesos or so which seemed too good to be true... but looking at a few threads on here I saw a figure mentioned which was in excess of 1M pesos?

Any ball park figures you guys could offer would be really useful, thanks!

I noticed Filipino construction contractors like to quote house costs by total package price/sqm. For the typical middle-class family house, 3 small-ish bedrooms, 3 baths, kitchen and living room, maybe extra family room, the size would be around 120/150 sqm and the price would be anything between P25,000 and P35,000/sqm. So that would place your ball park figure for 120 sqm between P3M and P4.2M.

As far I (and most of us here) have noticed, the biggest difference in quality is made by the quality of labour and materials available. If you're planning to build outside Leyte, you will be probably bound by whatever local contractors and local materials you can find. This will probably limit your options in terms of how creative or how much a perfectionist you want to be, when building your home.  

• Like 4

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, graham59 said:

For p100,000 you could build a simple block and concrete one room type of abode....designed in such a way that it could be later extended...ie while you're living in it (think ROOF in particular). 

My next door neighbour here in Pangasinan had a beautiful 2 bedroomed house built 4 years ago, for 1 and a half mil

46779810_1915383555175515_7314451758900576256_n.jpg

P1.5M sounds a really good deal.

graham59
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

P1.5M sounds a really good deal.

Hardly a shack either. Price is accurate, as they are very close friends of my Mrs, and no b/s involved. 

Here's another view...looking out towards the road, (which includes my niece):

48345040_1936292819751255_8335585662363238400_o.jpg

• Like 3

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, graham59 said:

Hardly a shack either. Price is accurate, as they are very close friends of my Mrs, and no b/s involved. 

Here's another view...looking out towards the road, (which includes my niece):

48345040_1936292819751255_8335585662363238400_o.jpg

They had a decent construction company. Nowadays having a construction company who can do decent quality without overcharging is almost a miracle. 

Edited by Gandang Smile
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gandang Smile said:

Nowadays having a construction company who can do decent quality without overcharging is almost a miracle. 

And I have noticed that when such a company builds for an expat, the expat invariably tells them how happy they are and how cheap it is.  The next guy pays double.

I have watched local people when construction companies work for them and the locals always make the crew feel like the work is OK but don't get a swelled head over it.

I am also guilty.  I had the same contractor 3 times.  First time I praised him for great work at a low cost. Second time I told him that the work was fairly priced.  Third time I felt gouged and never had him back after that.

• Like 5