Rough Idea Of Costs To Build A Medium Sized Home?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I am also guilty.  I had the same contractor 3 times.  First time I praised him for great work at a low cost. Second time I told him that the work was fairly priced.  Third time I felt gouged and never had him back after that.

My wife and I do a tag team on contractors.  I praise their work (when appropriate) and my wife tells them it looks "okay" but they charge too much. :hystery:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

We use relatives and family friends to carry out work (that I don't feel like doing now, mainly due to my age) . My being a retired building surveyor counts for nothing here, of course. 

I try not to even think about how things would be done 'back home' . Pointless, and stress-inducing. 

Edited by graham59
  • Like 3
  • Love it 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

And I have noticed that when such a company builds for an expat, the expat invariably tells them how happy they are and how cheap it is.  The next guy pays double.

I have watched local people when construction companies work for them and the locals always make the crew feel like the work is OK but don't get a swelled head over it.

I am also guilty.  I had the same contractor 3 times.  First time I praised him for great work at a low cost. Second time I told him that the work was fairly priced.  Third time I felt gouged and never had him back after that.

I have the same story - guy did good work (not great, but good) for me, next time it was pretty good, next time OK...And the relative price crept up each time.  And it wasn't just with me, same story with the folks around me who used him a lot.  After we moved to another contractor he stopped talking with us.  It's not exactly an unusual business practice unique to the Philippines though.

• Like 1

Michael H
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

You might get a nice Nipa house for that. Won't be big but livable. 

nipa.jpg

Looks... airy! I was thinking of something a little more substantial to be honest :)

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Building the shell of a House can be done quite Cheaply. At 1.5 million that could be an 80/100 sqm shell but you will need another 1.5 at least, to get it Finished to a nice livable state in MHO, getting it properly Powered and Piped for water can be expensive depending on what standard you wish to live in :tiphat:

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Building the shell of a House can be done quite Cheaply. At 1.5 million that could be an 80/100 sqm shell but you will need another 1.5 at least, to get it Finished to a nice livable state in MHO, getting it properly Powered and Piped for water can be expensive depending on what standard you wish to live in :tiphat:

I was talking with a contractor who was building the house next to mine, same model (120sq m).  He said the developer was paying him 1.5m pesos for the build up to finished state.  Finished state means ready for decoration and fitting kitchen etc etc, not ready to live in.  He did say he was stepping back from that type of work as he couldn't make money at that price. 

• Like 4

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I was talking with a contractor who was building the house next to mine, same model (120sq m).  He said the developer was paying him 1.5m pesos for the build up to finished state.  Finished state means ready for decoration and fitting kitchen etc etc, not ready to live in.  He did say he was stepping back from that type of work as he couldn't make money at that price. 

1.5m for a cold shell building isn't too bad a price. The problem is: how much of those naked walls and ceilings are ready to be plastered and painted? Making those domed ceilings, those slanted walls and imperfect slabs good might be a massive time waster, as well as an added cost.

That is, even before you start decorating and furnishing. 

Edited by Gandang Smile

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gandang Smile said:

1.5m for a cold shell building isn't too bad a price. The problem is: how much of those naked walls and ceilings are ready to be plastered and painted? Making those domed ceilings, those slanted walls and imperfect slabs good might be a massive time waster, as well as an added cost.

That is, even before you start decorating and furnishing. 

But it wasn't a shell Gandang, as I said in my post the price was for a "finished state" so all plumbing, electrics and ceiling and walls were plastered and painted and tiled as required - wouldn't really be move-in state IMO but some did.  The developer charged 4.8m for the unit and passed on 1.5m to the contractor.  In that relationship, I know which one I'd rather be! 

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Michael H said:

Looks... airy! I was thinking of something a little more substantial to be honest :)

I should have said that this one is in construction and Nipa walls will be what you get. But anyway P100 k wont buy you much.

• Like 1