50% 2nd Jab Failure

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted (edited)

Am I the only one who saw this coming?

MANILA, Philippines — About 50 percent of the country’s vaccinees have missed their second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, an expert from the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) revealed yesterday.

IATF data analyst and epidemiologist John Wong said some 2.1 million individuals who already received their first dose of the vaccine “should have come back by now for their second dose.”

But so far, only about a million vaccinees have returned to get their second shot, said Wong.

“So maybe about half of the people who have taken their first dose are missing out on their second dose, so we have to follow up on these people,” he told a town hall session organized by the Department of Health (DOH).

Data showed that from March 1 to May 29, a total of 3,101,559 million individuals received their first shot of vaccine against COVID-19.

While the same number is supposed to return for their second dose, only 1.07 million or about half of the 2.1 million who should have already completed their two-dose inoculation have turned up at vaccination sites to date, Wong said.

He said they have yet to determine why these vaccinees failed to get their second jab.

At present, five vaccine brands are available in the country and each should be given in two doses. These include Sinovac, AstraZeneca, Pfizer-BioNtech and Gamaleya.

Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire underscored the need to complete the two-dose vaccination for full protection against COVID-19.

“All our experts are saying that the first dose is really not enough. You need to get your second dose because it provides you with maximum protection of the vaccine,” she said.

Vergeire added those who missed their scheduled second dose can just go to their vaccination sites to get inoculated again.

‘70 M Pinoys by yearend’
Yesterday, vaccine czar Carlito Galvez Jr. maintained optimism in reaching the government’s target of vaccinating 70 million Filipinos or 70 percent of the population against COVID-19 by the end of the year.

Speaking with ANC, Galvez said he sees the target attainable with more vaccination sites set to be put up and the bulk of COVID-19 vaccines arriving in the coming weeks and months.?

“We will open up this coming Friday the Solaire. They can inoculate 3,000 to 6,000 a day. In August, we will open up our general public for inoculation,” he said, adding that the country expects the arrival of about 9.95 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines this month.

While the government has activated 3,000 vaccination sites nationwide, Galvez said the systematic approach is to inoculate 30 million of the most vulnerable and most active population first.

“Once we are able to get that, at least we will have population containment, disease containment,” explained the National Task Force against COVID-19 chief implementer, citing the experience of countries like Israel, the United States and the United Kingdom upon vaccinating 30 percent of their respective populations.

“We have seen the threshold that once we get the 30 percent (of the total population), it’s good. We can open up some restrictions. And then at 50 percent, we see that we can open up fully the economy. But still, our target is, because we have the numbers, we can still do 70 percent of our population by the end of the year,” Galvez said. – 

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2021/06/03/2102705/50-vaccinees-miss-second-dose-iatf-expert

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
fixed wrongly posted format. Paste as plain text please
  • Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

This isn't good. 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

Jack D
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, scott h said:

IATF data analyst and epidemiologist John Wong said some 2.1 million individuals who already received their first dose of the vaccine “should have come back by now for their second dose.”

But so far, only about a million vaccinees have returned to get their second shot, said Wong.

He said they have yet to determine why these vaccinees failed to get their second jab.

I can't explain why this is happening in the Philippines, but the answer has become quite clear in the USA (for why people are missing their 2nd shots). In fact, they're not actually missing them... the increased number of vaccination sites has changed the entire dynamic of how and when people are getting their 2nd jabs.

Not too long ago, I had to travel hours away to get my first jab, but now I can go to the corner drug store to get my 2nd jab. Even with this new abundance of vaccines (and vaccination sites that are much closer to each and every American), it still requires downright bribery schemes to get the folks inside the doors to get their jab(s). :89:

• Like 5
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 6/4/2021 at 2:37 AM, Jack D said:

It could the same folks who stop taking antibiotics after three days instead of seven?  Or perhaps the amount of time, trouble, inconvenience, etc. of the first jab discouraged them from getting the second?  Or possibly the sickness like symptoms from the first jab convinced them they did not want the second?  Likely a combination of all three and perhaps others reasons as well.  Let's just hope they still have adequate protection. 

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 6/5/2021 at 6:29 AM, Mike J said:

It could the same folks who stop taking antibiotics after three days instead of seven?  Or perhaps the amount of time, trouble, inconvenience, etc. of the first jab discouraged them from getting the second?  Or possibly the sickness like symptoms from the first jab convinced them they did not want the second?  Likely a combination of all three and perhaps others reasons as well.  Let's just hope they still have adequate protection. 

I'll throw out there that it is possible that mismanagement is contributing to the high rate.  I don't think, in most areas, someone can just stroll in on X date for their second dose.  Their local gov has to notify them.  Before that, the local gov has to secure the dose.

In my case, I don't know where my second dose is coming from.  The first dose came from the batch of AZ that was expiring in mid-June.  Where my second comes from, who knows.

In programs like the Moderna pay program the Red Cross is promoting here, you pay for two doses up front, so I ASSUME the doses are long dated and they set aside your second dose for you.

In any case, managing a limited supply of refrigerated vaccines with expiration dates, first and second doses, etc., requires supply chain management skills that might be hard to find.  I certainly would not put the IATF in charge.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I'll throw out there that it is possible that mismanagement is contributing to the high rate.  I don't think, in most areas, someone can just stroll in on X date for their second dose.  Their local gov has to notify them.  Before that, the local gov has to secure the dose.

In my case, I don't know where my second dose is coming from.  The first dose came from the batch of AZ that was expiring in mid-June.  Where my second comes from, who knows.

In programs like the Moderna pay program the Red Cross is promoting here, you pay for two doses up front, so I ASSUME the doses are long dated and they set aside your second dose for you.

In any case, managing a limited supply of refrigerated vaccines with expiration dates, first and second doses, etc., requires supply chain management skills that might be hard to find.  I certainly would not put the IATF in charge.

I wouldn't dispute what you've posted, but 50% is a heckuva big number regardless of how it happened. The only point is that the programme isn't going well but did anyone think it would?

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic