Jollibee issues statement on ‘fried towel’ incident

softail
Posted
Posted (edited)

Giant fastfood chain Jollibee Foods Corp would close down one of its Bonifacio Global City branches after the viral ‘fried towel’ incident.

Jollibee issued a statement early Thursday saying it will close down its Jollibee Bonifacio-Stop Over branch for 3 days for compliance review and retraining of its personnel.

“Jollibee has carefully developed and complied with food preparation systems to ensure that we deliver excellent quality products and customer satisfaction,” the company said, adding that it is already conducting a thorough investigation on the incident.

“We at Jollibee are committed to take necessary steps to maintain the trust and loyalty that our customers have given to us throughout the years,” it added.

In a Facebook post, Alique Perez said she ordered Jollibee chickenjoy via delivery. However, she was surprised to see that a deep “fried towel” was included in their meal.

Jollibee issues statement on ‘fried towel’ incident
“Just something that frustrated me this late. We had Jollibee delivered via grab. Ordered chicken for my son, while I was trying to get him a bite, I found it super hard to even slice. Tried opening it up with my hands and to my surprise a deep fried towel,” she said.

“This is really disturbing… How the hell do you get the towel in the batter and even fry it!?!? Yung totoo? I really thought that the post complaining about weird stuff in their orders were just all made up, now I know that it really happens! So disgusting and embarrassing… to think that you’re even branched in BGC. There’s a first for everything. And this has been the worst first!” she added.

“Now I can’t even think of the other chickenjoys na kasama while frying this. Having the same oil for how many hours after frying this FRIED TOWEL,” she added.

As of April 2018, JFC had a total of about 1,200 Jollibee outlets worldwide; with presence in Southeast Asia, the Middle East, East Asia, North America, and Europe.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Again got rid of links
  • Haha 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I'm addicted to Jollibee spicy chicken, glad there's none near me in Australia otherwise I'd be like the side of a house.  When in PI, AM has to drag me away every time we walk past one :SugarwareZ-047:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I guess the employee decided they'd had enough and decided to throw in the towel! 

I could be wrong, but I think the breading of the pieces is done at a central facility, not at the store.  The store probably just throws the frozen pieces in the fryer.  So the actual towel error was probably at the central facility, and the local employee just dumped a bag of chicken in the fryer without noticing the issue.

Jollibee-issues-statement-on-fried-towel-incident-533x261.jpg

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I could be wrong, but I think the breading of the pieces is done at a central facility, not at the store.  The store probably just throws the frozen pieces in the fryer.  So the actual towel error was probably at the central facility, and the local employee just dumped a bag of chicken in the fryer without noticing the issue.

Jollibee-issues-statement-on-fried-towel-incident-533x261.jpg

You may be right OMW.  Which begs the question, what is the point of closing down the specific location - being seen to be doing something?

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

You may be right OMW.  Which begs the question, what is the point of closing down the specific location - being seen to be doing something?

Exactly. As well as to put a step in front of the fryer so they can see down into it and see what they’re tossing into the oil instead of being at eye level to it. 🤣

• Haha 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
On 6/2/2021 at 11:06 PM, BrettGC said:

I'm addicted to Jollibee spicy chicken, glad there's none near me in Australia otherwise I'd be like the side of a house.  When in PI, AM has to drag me away every time we walk past one :SugarwareZ-047:

I had always mistakenly believed that my wife was addicted to Jolli's 'Chicken Joy' and I always ordered a delivery of it back in the Phils, but boy, was I ever wrong on that!

Asawa only liked their palabok, and I only liked (well, I actually just tolerated) their Aloha burgers. What a waste of time and money! Nowadays, she, me and the kids just stick to ordering from KFC.

• Haha 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 6/3/2021 at 3:12 PM, OnMyWay said:

I could be wrong, but I think the breading of the pieces is done at a central facility, not at the store. 

You might be right but if it was KFC then NO, all done in house as I was a trainee manager once. I doubt if Jollibee could make a good chicken in it came pre breaded. Anyway it would not account for one store being closed for 3 days to sort this out. If it was in a factory you would expect a different result.

I recall watching a youtube video once where the person who uploaded it said this is the KFC factory and it was pre breaded which was false and completely a different plant.

During the covid scare you all might remember some were selling Jollibee chicken in bags, raw with Jollibee's name on the bag so I believe normally it is breaded in the store like KFC. You would never get the same result if pre breaded. 

Also reminded me of years ago when I owned a charcoal chicken takeout shop my father laughed and ridiculed my mother as my father thought a machine stuffed our chickens which was far from correct. We stuffed by hand and placed on spit, 8 at a time once done. So people's perception can be out some !

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

The discussion of "where it is made" reminds me of a McDonalds add that ran on television many years ago.  It said to try their delicious and nutritious salads "which are made fresh each day".  That was a true statement, what they did not say was that the salads were daily in a plant in California and then shipped via truck to McD's in other surrounding states.  Once they arrived at the McDs they were kept in coolers for an unknown period of time until sold. :tongue:  But I will admit that I did enjoy their salads. :thumbsup: