Stimulus Check Deposit Success!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Referring back to this thread:

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/32584-third-stimulus-check/page/5/

@scott h and I both received our 2nd stimulus checks via the U.S. Embassy Manila and then PH snail mail from the embassy to our Philippine address.  I received mine on May 14th.  Scott was able to deposit his check to his dollar account at PNB.

Mine was more complicated.  In 2015 we got my wife an ITIN using her old passport which had her old married surname.  We did not have much choice at the time.  So for tax years 2015-2019 we used that surname on our U.S. tax return.  The name was never a problem until now.

In Dec. / Jan., I was not eligible for the first stimulus payment because we did not both have SSNs.  (That rule has changed for Stim 2&3).  On Jan. 6th issued the 2nd stimulus check by mail.  (This is the one that arrived on May 14th).  On March 24th I received the 3rd stimulus payment by direct deposit to my Chase Bank account, which is not a joint account with my wife.

The 2nd stimulus check was made out to the names we used on our 2019 return.  My name & My Wife's Old Name.  Research tells me that when a check is made out to two parties, using & (and) and not OR, you have to both go to a branch with IDs and deposit it at the counter.

My wife no longer has any valid IDs in her OLD name that is on the check.  I went to BPI and he said the only way he could deposit it would be if we opened a new joint account using her OLD name, but that was not possible without ID.

After more research and exhausting all options, it appeared my only option was to try and use Chase Mobile App to deposit it remotely.  Everything I found told me this probably is not allowed for a two party check, but there is nothing published by Chase that says it is not allowed.  I didn't want to call Chase as they might flag me up.  So last night, we both endorsed it and included "For electronic deposit to Chase only", as instructed.  Then I used the mobile app to deposit it.  It was pending until a message early today that said $1500 was available.  Then I logged in tonight and it is all available!

I suspect they allowed it because it was a stimulus check from the government.  That was a big relief because if it did not work, there is no other way I could get that money.  It would have been $1800 gone forever.

So, I am again happy with Chase and their Mobile app.  I have been with them for almost 20 years now.

• Like 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted

I have done similar with third party checks to Schwab and Navy Federal.  

Technically anyone can take a check made to them and endorse to you on the back.  You then can cash the check... IF your bank accepts it. Most banks in the US will accept it as long as you have an account, because if it were to bounce they will take their money from you and let you deal with the problem.

Perhaps in your case... being a two party check, as long as one person has an account... and both signed... they let flow through as an endorsement to you from her... and then to your account. 

But yeah who cares why... you got your $$:thumbsup:

• Like 1