Sotto opposes 2-week quarantine for fully vaccinated arrivals

softail
Posted
Posted (edited)

Senate President Vicente Sotto III called on the inter-agency task force against COVID-19 to remove the 14-day quarantine policy for those entering the country fully vaccinated against the coronavirus.

In a statement, the senator questioned the quarantine and said those entering the country were allowed as long as health protocols against the virus were followed.

“Why do fully vaccinated people still have to do the two-week quarantine when traveling to the Philippines? It doesn’t make sense!” said Sotto.

He said the policy was meaningless and that the purpose of the government’s vaccination program – to open up the economy – was wasted.

He also said that investors who have already been vaccinated would not enter the country due to this IATF policy. Even Filipinos who are about to return to the country are definitely hesitant.

“Vaccinated investors won’t come because they have to quarantine, or even Filipinos who are vaccinated are having second thoughts,” said the senator.

Sotto opposes 2-week quarantine for fully vaccinated arrivals
The Department of Tourism had earlier submitted to the government its suggestion to shorten the quarantine period for returning Filipinos who have been fully vaccinated with COVID-19.

OFWs and balikbayans entering the country must remain in quarantine facilities for up to 10 days and undergo a swab test after one week.

Meanwhile, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) said it supports a proposal to allow fully vaccinated foreign nationals to enter the country as part of efforts to revive the country’s moribund tourism industry and reopen its borders.

In a statement, BI Commissioner Jaime Morente said, the Bureau backs the setting up of a “green lane” for vaccinated aliens in the different ports to pave the way for the reopening of tourist destinations to leisure travelers, should the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) deem it viable.

“If approved by the IATF-MEID, we in the Bureau, support this initiative by the Department of Tourism (DOT) as it will not only resuscitate our tourism industry, it will also generate employment for millions of Filipinos who lost their jobs due to the pandemic,” Morente said.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Paste as plain text. This topic contained several links to a ite not permitted on this forum. Pasting in plain removes unnecessary links.
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Please everyone paste in plain text to remove unwanted links. The site where the above came from is not permitted here. They take content from other sites and post as if their own content and written by them. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, softail said:

“Why do fully vaccinated people still have to do the two-week quarantine when traveling to the Philippines? It doesn’t make sense!” said Sotto.

Mr. Sotto, please take a number a fall in line at the "doesn't make sense" counter.  The end of the line is in the next barangay.  :hystery:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

"doesn't make sense"

The frustration level among the masses is growing,,,,Manila mayor wants to get rid of Face shields, Sotto on this and yesterday on the news a senior citizen was filmed showing real frustration at not being able to leave his barangay even though he is fully vaccinated. 

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

The more people who make noise and disagreements with some of the illogical policies and inane backward thinking the better. Sadly there are so many " experts " here

( Expert = a guy who once saw half a youtube video about Epidimiology but left as there were too many adverts ).

Of course the govt can just ignore but the more high profile folk who keep saying " Why" and " This doesnt make sense " the better.

Presumably the good folks in government are talking to Singapore about how they are handling the covid situation and keeping their economy running well... Oh, they arent, ? I didnt think they would .

• Like 3

softail
Posted
Posted

If I were someone considering the Philippines for my vacation I am not sure I would be wanting to spend 14 days of my vacation a prisoner in a hotel room. They want tourist money, give them a break.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, softail said:

If I were someone considering the Philippines for my vacation I am not sure I would be wanting to spend 14 days of my vacation a prisoner in a hotel room. They want tourist money, give them a break.

Agreed.  Now that we don't live full time in the Philippines, Lyn and I would love to plan a vacation there.  But no way I am going with her to do 14 days quarantine and she does not want to go back on her own.

• Like 1

Freebie
Posted
Posted (edited)

So.. if you are vaccinated in Philippines you only need 7 days quarantine on returning to Philippines.. but if vaccinated in any of the other countries around the world you need 14 days quarantine.

Is there something special about being vaccinated in Philippines that we dont know about ??????? Do please tell us IATF Gods

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Sick of telling you to post article with link
  • Like 2

Explorer
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Freebie said:

So.. if you are vaccinated in Philippines you only need 7 days quarantine on returning to Philippines.. but if vaccinated in any of the other countries around the world you need 14 days quarantine.

Is there something special about being vaccinated in Philippines that we dont know about ??????? Do please tell us IATF Gods

Yes, if you being vaccinated in the Philippines in theory immigration can verify the validity of the certificate, now you show up at the airport with vaccination certificate from Uzbekistan, how immigration suppose to know if it is valid or just something you printed yourself the day before?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Freebie said:

8 hours ago, Explorer said:

Yes, if you being vaccinated in the Philippines in theory immigration can verify the validity of the certificate, now you show up at the airport with vaccination certificate from Uzbekistan, how immigration suppose to know if it is valid or just something you printed yourself the day before?

Is it not also the case that the vaccine has to be one already approved for use in the Philippines?  I thought this was/used to be the case.