Looking for Modern(?) City With Nice Beaches Nearby Without A lot of Traffic

I plan to return to the PI whenever travel resumes and looking for a modern city with nice beaches nearby to live in.  By modern, I mean somewhat clean with fairly fast internet, good places to eat, and not a lot of traffic.  Example:  Cebu would fit this description, but traffic is very bad there.

Back story, I lived in the PI for over 5 years, but left in 2011.  I lived in three different cities:  Dumaguete, SBMA (old Subic Navy base) outside of Olongapo, and Angeles.  The beaches near Dumaguete and Subic weren't very nice in my opinion.  I also visited Panglao Island and Tagbilarian City, but at that time, didn't seem like much was there.

I haven't visited Boracay, but I am sure that it is beautiful, but I think that it is too small an area for me.  I love to take motorcycle rides, and I would be very limited there.

Some cities I was wondering about are Davao, Cagayan De Oro, Iloilo City, and San Fernando.  If you have first hand knowledge of any of these, I would appreciate hearing it.

If you know of others that I might be interested in, please let me know.

Thanks and stay safe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well hell, why didnt you say so....that makes it easy! What branch  Air Force? Then Boracay is for you, lots of luxury hotels and resturants. Army? Settle in Tarlac, flat, dusty, hot with ho

Davao is a large, spread-out city with no urban planning. Roads criss-cross, change names and are often two narrow to safely accommodate the excess of Fortuners, Hi-Luxs, Everests and so on. Traffic g

He never said if he was an officer though then someone will have to take him there by hand or he'll get lost.  

Posted Images

• Forum Support
Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum I'm sure you will get many suggestions.

I agree with your assessment of Cebu City the traffic is ridiculous although the city itself has much to offer. I think you are on the right track living at least an hour outside a city could be quite clean and affordable. 

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1
  • Forum Support
4 hours ago, sinsinbad said:

nice beaches nearby to live in.

Not knowing what you want the beaches for, but google Nasugbu in Batangas, south of Manila. What caught my eye in your post is the motorcycle rides. This is a rugged coastal area with secluded cove type beaches. but lots of curvy, hilly roads to ride on. 2 hours south of Manila, 1 hour from Tagayatay (another nice motor bike area) and near a major ferry port. It is one of our favorite getaway destinations.

• Like 3
  • Forum Support

Welcome to the forum.  We live in Moalboal which probably would not make your list because it is in the province but I like it. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, scott h said:

Not knowing what you want the beaches for, but google Nasugbu in Batangas, south of Manila.

Since I live pretty close to Nasugbu, I'll chime in.  Nasugbu isn't all that crowded and there are some decent beaches there.  There's a local group that tries to keep them relatively clean.  A little north of there is Punta Fuego with some decent beaches but the prices for land/housing is astronomical.

South of Nasugbu is Calatagan.  Also some decent beaches.

Welcome to the forum.😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm in iloilo.

Big Pros - relatively good governance; significant amount of development of malls etc in the last 5-6 years; relatively safe; not very crowded; prices remain OK'ish; nice promenade; good internet and stable(ish) power

Big Cons - few good beaches nearby; small ex-pat community; less "international" than some places

Plenty more to add but these are the biggies for me - I'm aware some of the points will move from one category to the other depending on individual preference

• Like 3

Theres a good expat group in San Fernando and there were a few organised rides of groups from Angeles up to San Fernando area.

Beaches are ok ( nothing like Pagudpud Norther Luzon for photogenic quality though ) , roads are fine , traffic not too bad and lots nice smallish hotels. Not sure what everyone does there though as doesnt seem like much to do there.

Maybe La Union?

• Like 2
On 6/19/2021 at 1:47 AM, sinsinbad said:

looking for a modern city with nice beaches nearby to live in.  By modern, I mean somewhat clean with fairly fast internet, good places to eat, and not a lot of traffic. 

Mactan fits. Not much traffic unless you're going into Cebu City on either bridge, but they're about to finish building a third bridge, the longest in the country. The resorts there have the best pools, restaurants and beaches around. And their prices reflect this.

• Like 2
  • Forum Support
2 hours ago, Shady said:

Mactan fits. Not much traffic

It must have changed a lot.  A dozen years ago the traffic on Mactan was horrid during peak hours and Saturdays.

• Like 2