Sun shade Nets, Screens, Sails, etc.

We have a very large terrace which has an uninsulated, open steel roof with some opaque panels for daylight to brighten up the very large semi-open, outdoor cooking and dining area. Even with the two overhead ceiling fans, it is not what I consider comfortable, although my wife cooks and sews in the area all day long, without complaint. 

I am thinking of buying one or two sun shade sails which could be easily rigged over it with little effort. The Lazada prices seem cheap enough, but I will probably buy locally if available.

What I would like to know is there are expats who are using these, and what their experiences have been.

Any anecdotal advice or comments would  be appreciated.  

Thank you if you choose to share your thoughts.

• Like 2

I presume you’re talking about the nylon mesh types? I have one I attach to the awning of my 5th wheel RV and works well. It provides a 70% level of shade, which more then adequate for me. I use bungee cords to attach it to the end of the awning and tent spikes into the ground (also held with bungee cords) to keep it from flapping around. The sides are open so I get plenty of air flow. 

Here’s a link to the company I got mine from (note: I am not endorsing nor do I receive any benefit / payments from them): https://www.tarpsnow.com/shade-tarps.html

• Like 2

I am not familiar with the Lazada products on offer nor what may be locally available but there should be lots if you live in or near a big city.

Have you considered going to any plant nurseries? We have visited several here as we have shopped for ornamental and some food plants. Most of them have mesh sun screen that I would assume would last and be durable? They seem to cut the light and heat by at least 25% or more. I have seen lots of awning shops around here too but cannot vouch for any of their work or materials. If there even is such a thing in mesh awnings, I believe Dacron would be my material of choice. Dacron has been a common material in yacht sails and awnings. But, if sewn, you must specify heavy thread and UV resistant because it is the stitching that will fail first...

Please let us know what you find out because we want to eventually do the same on our roof deck?

• Like 2