Issues with sinovac?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I was reading a day or two back that manyvacinated people have ended up with the virus but I think no one dies. Mild symptoms or none at all so it's like a flu shot which does the job.

This was from different vaccines not just one brand. If I find the story I will post it but it's out there if anyone want to find.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, robert k said:

Jabbed people moving around the Philippines may be deemed the new superspreaders next week.

How right you are.

I walk around my Barangay daily and am friendly enough for informal conversations with quite a few people now. Most of them are seniors like me.

As more and more of us get the jabs I have noticed an attitude of "I got the jab! I am cool now" and if they are wearing face masks at all they are usually on their chin.

What can you do? :whatever:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I was reading a day or two back that manyvacinated people have ended up with the virus but I think no one dies. Mild symptoms or none at all so it's like a flu shot which does the job.

This was from different vaccines not just one brand. If I find the story I will post it but it's out there if anyone want to find.

Here's a study that was published in the Lancet which is the Gold standard for medical reporting.  It pretty much shows that the vaccine has been highly effective especially in the over 80s and the drop in hospital admissions in each age group tied in with when they had been vaccinated. The key points are:

This national prospective cohort study comprising almost the entire Scottish population found that the mass roll-out of the first doses of the BNT162b2 mRNA or ChAdOx1 vaccines was associated with protection against COVID-19 admission to hospital. A vaccine effect of 91% for the BNT162b2 mRNA vaccine and 88% for the ChAdOx1 vaccine were found against COVID-19 hospital admissions at 28–34 days after vaccination. In the oldest age group (≥80 years), on the basis of a pooled analysis for both vaccines, we observed a vaccine effect of 83% against COVID-19 hospital admissions at this same timepoint. For the same age group and at the same time, a vaccine effect of 88% was found for the BNT162b2 mRNA vaccine, and 81% for the ChAdOx1 vaccine.
A study from Israel (Clalit Health Services) has reported on the vaccine effect of BNT162b2 mRNA. An analysis of data on more than 1·1 million individuals showed that after the first dose of vaccination, an effect of 74% was found 14–20 days after immunisation and an effect of 78% was found 21–27 days after immunisation against SARS-CoV-2 hospital admission.
 Public Health England has reported that single dose vaccine effects against hospital admission for BNT162b2 mRNA and ChAdOx1 were 80%.
 Complementary to these studies, we found a similar vaccine effect against COVID-19 hospital admission for the BNT162b2 mRNA and ChAdOx1 vaccines after a single dose.

https://secure.jbs.elsevierhealth.com/action/getSharedSiteSession?redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thelancet.com%2Fjournals%2Flancet%2Farticle%2FPIIS0140-6736(21)00677-2%2Ffulltext&rc=0

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, scott h said:

How right you are.

I walk around my Barangay daily and am friendly enough for informal conversations with quite a few people now. Most of them are seniors like me.

As more and more of us get the jabs I have noticed an attitude of "I got the jab! I am cool now" and if they are wearing face masks at all they are usually on their chin.

As far as I understand, the pivot point will be when we reach herd immunity - then restrictions can then be eased.  So, we only have to wait until 2023! 

• Sad 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

As far as I understand, the pivot point will be when we reach herd immunity - then restrictions can then be eased.  So, we only have to wait until 2023! 

I wish! The clock restarts with the Delta variant. Then I suspect there will be an Epsilon variant.

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, scott h said:

How right you are.

Scott, I'm less concerned about masks because people mostly don't have effective masks and discipline to not touch them. I think everyone except those actually infected would be better served with the spit shields. At least then we wouldn't be restricting peoples blood oxygen. But it is what it is.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, robert k said:

I wish! The clock restarts with the Delta variant. Then I suspect there will be an Epsilon variant.

Sadly I think you are correct. The slow roll out of the vaccine is allowing more time for the virus to mutate and it's defying the usual laws that stated viruses usually mutate into less dangerous variants. Delta is hitting younger people which may make some of them realise they aren't invincible but by then it could be too late.  

I'm sure sinovac was fine with the initial variants but it's not looking so good now. 

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, robert k said:

1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

Sadly I think you are correct. The slow roll out of the vaccine is allowing more time for the virus to mutate and it's defying the usual laws that stated viruses usually mutate into less dangerous variants. Delta is hitting younger people which may make some of them realise they aren't invincible but by then it could be too late.  

I'm sure sinovac was fine with the initial variants but it's not looking so good now. 

It's certainly a moving picture and the longer it takes to get that magical number for herd immunity the greater the chance of a variant popping up which can outsmart the current vaccines.  And, if and when it does, how will the vaccinated world be looking in terms of being "immune" to the new variant?  Again, the statement nobody is safe until everybody is safe rings true.

Yet, we see some countries making plans to vaccinate kids whilst others haven't even done 2% of their population.  Cigars being passed around and mutual pats on the back all around to those who have done so well so far in terms of vaccine programmes, but they are risking losing the game in added time.  

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It's certainly a moving picture and the longer it takes to get that magical number for herd immunity the greater the chance of a variant popping up which can outsmart the current vaccines.  And, if and when it does, how will the vaccinated world be looking in terms of being "immune" to the new variant?  Again, the statement nobody is safe until everybody is safe rings true.

Yet, we see some countries making plans to vaccinate kids whilst others haven't even done 2% of their population.  Cigars being passed around and mutual pats on the back all around to those who have done so well so far in terms of vaccine programmes, but they are risking losing the game in added time.  

Africa, South America and much of Asia (I have doubts about the US also, I just won't say never because at least the capability exists) will never vaccinate enough and it's a worldwide pandemic. The world as a whole will never achieve herd immunity through vaccination in my opinion, especially when the vaccines appear to not be effective for different variants. 3-4 Billion people will not even get the old ineffective vaccine, much less the one for the new and improved greatest threat.

Less wealthy unvaccinated nations will act as a well for successive variants and there is not a thing that will be done about it. I believe that actual herd immunity will appear in decades, eventually, naturally. I'm trying to structure my life and finances in case of years of lockdown and general economic collapse resulting from prolonged lockdowns. Lockdowns will end when people have had enough and not before. If it's a game, it was lost long ago.

Hundreds of thousands people cross the US southern border, many of them (thousands to tens of thousands) confirmed positive for the virus and they are flown all over the US in contravention of medical guidelines. I wonder if they are counted in the US positive cases? I'm fairly certain they are. 

I take no joy from this reply, I wish I could just return to the Philippines, marry my Fiancee, finish our home/s, see my helpers who have been my right hand for 4 years and they are still on my payroll even though they are just house sitting for the last 15 months. 

I'm trying to get my Fiancee a visa to get married, maybe by then things will have lightened up or we will go wherever we have to, to be together.

The Philippines isn't letting single foreigners back in even if you have 50 jabs.

I think Sweden saw it from the beginning and decided not to compound the pandemic with destroying their economy.

I see nations trying to push the tide back with a broom.

• Like 4

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 6/24/2021 at 5:21 PM, Snowy79 said:

Not sure the Indonesians would agree to that statement.

There has been some interesting peer review studies recently completed in the use of Ivermectin. No doubt will be rubbished by the powers to be how ever I am fence sitting for now.  

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic