Duterte - no face to face school until children vaccinated.

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'm not actually concerned - my son's grades have slightly improved since he started the online format as it suits him better, no distractions from other students (well, less) and he's more focused for the shorter classes (half-day v full-day) - my 65% effective is mainly based on quantity over quality.  That said, I'd prefer him to be back in class interacting with is classmates but that's more for social reasons than academic.

I'm an English Tutor - my skillset is useless here as they are perfect English speakers, aren't they? :whistling:

I didn't know you are an English tutor. Even if you had told me before that you were an English tutor? How would I know you weren't a college level English Literature tutor? Having knowledge isn't the only criteria that makes one well suited to teach a subject. I haven't read the Bio on everyone on the forum, if your occupation is even in yours.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

The youth we work with are all would go to public school and come from families with little money.  They struggle to buy rice and private school, even a tutor, is beyond their means.  Also the internet here is slow and intermittent, some even live in spots with no cell coverage.  They are using "modules", printed booklets that are picked up from the school, completed, and then returned.  Normally one booklet a week.  We bought cell phones for eight students and rotate them through our house so they can use the internet and that has helped.  But for most kids around here the education year is largely lost.  Again, my opinion, but our neighbors seem to feel the same way.  They want this stuff behind us so the kids can get back to school.

Absolutely my son is privileged in that he can access online classes along with most of the kids in our community.  Not a mile or so from our place is a community where I'm pretty certain most of the kids are in the same boat as you describe.  We live in a country of stark inequality and it's to the country's shame this applies to education as well.  Mind you, the pandemic has simply highlighted this - it was the case before.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, robert k said:

I didn't know you are an English tutor. Even if you had told me before that you were an English tutor? How would I know you weren't a college level English Literature tutor? Having knowledge isn't the only criteria that makes one well suited to teach a subject. I haven't read the Bio on everyone on the forum, if your occupation is even in yours.

You mentioned me hiring a Tutor and It would have been remiss of me not to mention I was one.  Also, note I said Tutor, not Teacher - I'm not one for inflating my very modest job!

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, hk blues said:

You mentioned me hiring a Tutor and It would have been remiss of me not to mention I was one.  Also, note I said Tutor, not Teacher - I'm not one for inflating my very modest job!

Fair enough. At a distance, it might be hard to distinguish between the teacher/tutor. I have little doubt one might be better off in the hands of a tutor sometimes as they would have more focus and possibly compassion. 

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Mike J said:

President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday reiterated that he will not allow the resumption of face-to-face classes until the country has reached herd immunity against COVID-19.

The guy is taking too much Fentanyl these days.  He's been on it for years.

• Haha 1

Sean433
Posted
Posted

This clown will end up doing  more damage closing everything 

robert k
Posted
Posted

I thought the one thing the powers that be could agree on was that children aren't in extreme danger from the virus and aren't superspreaders? Of course months ago the WHO recommended not locking down as the primary means of controlling the spread of the virus because it leads to starving children, suicides and so on.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, robert k said:

agree on was that children aren't in extreme danger from the virus

Now, if you ask me to look at it from a dispassionate and logical view point I would say that due to multi-generational households, and considering that anyone who live to the age of 60 here has at least one comorbidity it "ALMOST" makes sense to keep the kids away from places where they might be exposed.

But logic is in short supply in the only nation in the world that requires face shields :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, robert k said:

Fair enough. At a distance, it might be hard to distinguish between the teacher/tutor. I have little doubt one might be better off in the hands of a tutor sometimes as they would have more focus and possibly compassion. 

I guess the main distinction would be that a Tutor would be paid per hour and a Teacher salaried.  For me, an additional point would be a Teacher would need to have some form of recognised qualification to teach (we'd hope) whilst a Tutor wouldn't necessarily have to.  As for the quality of "product" - case by case but I agree a Tutor SHOULD be more invested in each individual student as they are the ones directly paying the cash!  

• 1 month later...
superG
Posted
Posted (edited)

I agree. No need to worry about the online classes though we are also waiting to be everything to go back in normal. It is our second year as student at www.xxxxxxxxxh and we enjoyed the online classes. Sometimes, we are struggling with the poor connection as well, but our Teacher provided us a recorded video of the class to catch up. :) 

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
New members can not post links or URLs

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic