5 minutes ago, Old55 said:

spacer.png

Burn the witch!!!

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Shady said:

Those are tourist eggs, stop buying eggs in the mall supermarkets and start buying them in street market trays the way locals do.  Native eggs are the best, but the smallest, and by far the priciest. You don't even need a tray, they're so tough you can just carry them in a bag.

1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

I respectfully disagree, Shady. I was buying street market eggs for a while and ended up with a number of rotten ones. I have had best luck at SM, but only with that one brand, Jewm. According to L, they actually test each egg visually with a bright light and cull the bad ones... But then, I have had a lot of good ones from street vendors at times too. So I guess our mileage may vary???

I'm with Tom on this one.

We (ok, my wife) has tried a number of different sources for eggs, local market, SM Supermarket, Sari Sari stores.  On balance, SM was the clear winner but also the most expensive - who'd have thought it!  I cannot recall the brand in SM but it was a transparent pack with blue/yellow logo.  

Edited by hk blues

hk blues
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

So now I am either bad or old, Jim?:sad:

Both. :hystery:

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Shady said:

Those are tourist eggs, stop buying eggs in the mall supermarkets and start buying them in street market trays the way locals do.  Native eggs are the best, but the smallest, and by far the priciest. You don't even need a tray, they're so tough you can just carry them in a bag.

So I'm a tourist but I live here or I'm a tourist just because I shop at a supermarket. I guess now you will tell me you never buy anything at a supermarket? 

• Hmm thinking 1

Shady
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

I guess now you will tell me you never buy anything at a supermarket? 

That wouldn't be bad advice, the local market produce is always fresher and better priced, and that includes eggs. You could also get eggs on Grab Mart or Foodpanda, a tray of 30 for around 200p

And if you need any imported foods or household items, there's Shopee. 

jimeve
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Shady said:

That wouldn't be bad advice, the local market produce is always fresher and better priced, and that includes eggs. You could also get eggs on Grab Mart or Foodpanda, a tray of 30 for around 200p

And if you need any imported foods or household items, there's Shopee. 

we buy eggs from a street vendor, when I crack an egg the yolk goes flat and breaks. I did the water test and they sank, so they aren't old. Also the shells are weak, having to fish some shell out of the pan.

Shady
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

I was buying street market eggs for a while and ended up with a number of rotten ones.

What you want is a vendor or store that has a direct connection to a supplier, so if they're a little street place that only stocks a few dozen eggs, probably not. But if they have a few dozen trays of 30 eggs each, better.

Something else funny about supermarket eggs here is that the "Cage-Free" ones are always brown, as if that means anything. Sure, the yolks are more orange but that color could be done purposefully with colored feed.

Shady
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Locals in IT Park, Cebu do that? 

Maybe, go to a fruit stand or outdoor market and when you see all the big fancy cars and SUVs always pulling up and filling up, you can ask them if they live in IT Park, Cebu.:biggrin:

Edited by Shady

graham59
Posted
Posted

May I recommend duck eggs.  :smile: