Supermarket eggs

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Shady said:

Maybe, go to a fruit stand or outdoor market and when you see all the big fancy cars and SUVs always pulling up and filling up, you can ask them if they live in IT Park, Cebu

WOW.  Have you done that too?

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

My Mother In Law explaned how Filipinos buy from market vendors.

She has a favored vendor that together they have a relationship. She only buys from that individual but she may stop at a nearby stall in full view asking prices before shopping at "the" market stall. The vendor will show a fruit or whatever to her choosing what she thinks is her best product and they will decide each item as a team. In this way she gets the good stuff and if there is a quality issue when she gets home she gets refunded next time she visits.

If you buy from the same vendor perhaps you could politely ask for an extra egg next visit. Not going to work from a grocery store. 

Off topic. I'm not shy to ask a replacement from our local QFC produce manager several days later if we find something is not right when we get home.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

She has a favored vendor that together they have a relationship

That is her Suki

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

I usually shop in my local SM mall, the helpers examine the shelf to see if there are any eggs dated fresher than others but I can't remember getting bad eggs from them.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

That is her Suki

I saw you gave a "confused" response so here is more on it:

temp.jpg

• Thanks 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Shady said:

What you want is a vendor or store that has a direct connection to a supplier, so if they're a little street place that only stocks a few dozen eggs, probably not. But if they have a few dozen trays of 30 eggs each, better.

Something else funny about supermarket eggs here is that the "Cage-Free" ones are always brown, as if that means anything. Sure, the yolks are more orange but that color could be done purposefully with colored feed.

Thats a good point, the tray we just bought, free range are all brown in colour. Not sure the reason here.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Shady said:

That wouldn't be bad advice, the local market produce is always fresher and better priced, and that includes eggs. You could also get eggs on Grab Mart or Foodpanda, a tray of 30 for around 200p

And if you need any imported foods or household items, there's Shopee. 

Let's get real here.

Are you seriously suggesting it's both practical and feasible, as well as economical, to never buy anything in a supermarket and instead only patronise markets and online stores for everything we need?

Not for me.

• Like 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I saw you gave a "confused" response so here is more on it:

temp.jpg

Depending on where you live, how you buy different items with regularity, who does the shopping for your household, and  how long you live in a locale,  you/or your wife/GF may well have a few dependable 'suki' relationships. 

My wife gets her egg flats, tangigue cuts, etc. from special long term vendors. Same for my cases of beer and smokes at a more distant sari-sari  where they much less expensive than several closer ones, but on her regular family trike travel route.  I could comment further, but do not feel it wise to do so, but it is important to remember that many things get done here through personal relationships to varying degrees that are hidden.  

Economic and political markets have a mix of transparencies and special insider components everywhere.

Here is an article re 'suki' .....

http://simplegoodandtasty.com/2013/03/06/globally-aware-be-my-suki-a-market-relationship-in-the-philippines

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)

We talk about the 'special' shopping practices of Filipinos as if it were both unique and mysterious. It's neither. In Hong Kong, for example,  exactly the same shopping style applies with the locals and domestic helpers well versed in the art of spending half their day shopping around. Go back to our own countries as recently as the 60s, maybe even 70s, and you'll recall corner shops rather than supermarkets.

Nowadays,  many people simply don't want to spend their time going from store to store to save a peso or get a fresher tomato hence the advent and attraction of supermarkets. They're a compromise many/most are willing to make and I'm definitely one of them.

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Nowadays,  many people simply don't want to spend their time going from store to store to save a peso or get a fresher tomato hence the advent and attraction of supermarkets.

Where I lived in Spain the nearest Supermarket was some 15 kms away But In the Village (Town) I lived in the Town Plaza, I started at the Bar in the corner of the Plaza for Coffee then passed the differing array of Shops all selling Local Produce and a Decent Meat shop ( butchers) getting what I wanted Fresh and at a decent price, I only went to the Supermarket for Bulky stuff and things that I just could not get in the Plaza.

I am Fortunate here in our Barangay as it is very similar. It is what it is and I like to keep the Barangay Going Of course there has to be Journeys into the City or our nearest Local Supermarket. But our Daily needs comes from our own Local businesses  :smile:

• Like 4