Buying a house/condo for your Filipina's family

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

He sounds casual about it, but of course it would sting anybody to get lied to and scammed.  I know few rich expats who could shrug that off. 

I guess that's my overriding point OMW, not so much the amount involved as the simple act of deceit which would leave me doubting for a long, long time.  

As an aside, I wonder how the 13m place looks now. 

• Like 2

Shady
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Gandang Smile said:

Have you guys heard of similar experiences?    

All the time, but it's not his house, it's hers, and since it's hers, the large family considers it theirs.

It's not a house problem, it's a brain problem, your German friend didn't think that marrying his first Filipina gf would be as bad an idea as marrying his first German gf. She was so good at the playing the role and making him happy, that he didn't consider the million other eligible candidates outside his door.  Biggest mistake any foreigner here can make and they make it all the time, duped by underestimating the 'simple' Filipina.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I guess that's my overriding point OMW, not so much the amount involved as the simple act of deceit which would leave me doubting for a long, long time.  

As an aside, I wonder how the 13m place looks now. 

I made a typo.  I meant to say "I know a few rich expats who could shrug that off."

• Thanks 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shady said:

All the time, but it's not his house, it's hers, and since it's hers, the large family considers it theirs.

It's not a house problem, it's a brain problem, your German friend didn't think that marrying his first Filipina gf would be as bad an idea as marrying his first German gf. She was so good at the playing the role and making him happy, that he didn't consider the million other eligible candidates outside his door.  Biggest mistake any foreigner here can make and they make it all the time, duped by underestimating the 'simple' Filipina.

Haha...you're opening a tank of worms :laugh:

He is a devout Christian and he met her on a dating website for "Christian Filipinas" (you guys know which one it is). He is deeply in love with her and convinced that cherishing her and her family is always "the right thing to do". I don't object to this.

Question is: how "good" and "righteous" is for a Christian family to move into a house that doesn't belong to you, and after promising your son inlaw to help sell it?  

Edited by Gandang Smile
  • Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Gandang Smile said:

Question is: how "good" and "righteous" is for a Christian family to move into a house that doesn't belong to you, and after promising your son inlaw to help sell it?  

Should be ok as long as they go to mass on Sundays and had the priest over to bless their new house.  :89:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Yes.

Remember... all sins are forgiven at Confession.  :whistling:

Spend here what you can afford to lose. 

That's the way I look at it, anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Gandang Smile
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Should be ok as long as they go to mass on Sundays and had the priest over to bless their new house.  :89:

Don't forget the chicken blood :laugh:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I've given up advising people now and just keep telling myself it's not my money. I've know too many get screwed over and regardless how much to try to advise them they always know better.

I see you have also met some askholes.  They are the people who ask for your advice then do the opposite.

• Like 2

baronapart
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

It doesn't really sound like he was a fool, but his wife certainly screwed him over. :sad:  I kind of agree with the person who told him to kick her to the curb.

Yep. I think the money lost is relative as it sound like he absorbed the loss with little difficulty. Some guys get duped out of their entire retirement stash and get kicked to the curb. I personally would have had to let her go  after I found out but her having a child changes everything. She has the hooks in good. Her family coached her well.

• Like 2