Drug problem is a never-ending one’: Duterte

softail
Posted
Posted

MANILA – Almost five years after his administration launched a massive campaign against illegal drugs, President Rodrigo Roa Duterte said drug problem is a “never-ending one” and if not resolved, can put the country under the control of the narco-politicians.

This, according to Duterte during the launching of the Global Coalition of Lingkod Bayan Advocacy Support Groups and Force Multipliers that aims to build a strong collaborative partnership with the community in support of the ongoing campaign against criminality and terrorism on June 25.

But if you want to see how it can destroy a country, just look at Mexico, [Sinaloa]. They are the ones who dictate who will run for governor in the local areas, who run for the mayor. It’s narco-politics,” Duterte said in his speech during the event organized by the Philippine National Police (PNP).

According to the government’s #RealNumbersPH data as of April 30 this year, the drug law enforcement agencies have conducted 200,632 anti-illegal drug operations, resulting in the arrest of 289,622 drug dependents and death of 6,117 people since July 1, 2016.

Operatives have also confiscated nearly PHP60 billion worth of illegal drugs, including some 7,748 kilograms of shabu worth PHP48.70 billion aside from dismantling 784 drug dens and clandestine laboratories nationwide.

“This is the one side story of people said 7,000 killed. Well, that was – five years I started to declare war (against illegal drugs). But the other side is how many policemen and soldiers did I lose? Aplenty,” Duterte said.

He reiterated that he will continue to defend police officers who perform their duties in accordance with the law.

“The policemen, do not worry, let me know if that is the case. I will defend you. Ako na mismo (I will) because I gave the lecture and I gave you the guarantee that I will protect you as long as you do your duty in accordance with law,” he said.

Spare “begging for his life”

Duterte, however, reminded that anyone who is under arrest and “begging for his life” must be spared from getting killed.

He said responding police officers and drug law enforcers can only use their guns, if the culprits offer resistance.

“You are not supposed to kill a person when he is down, crying, kneeling, begging for his life,” Duterte said. “That is the essence of the arrest. If he goes voluntarily with you, good. That would be the ideal arrest. But if they resist arrest violently, then you have every right also to do your thing, commensurate.”

He said almost 1,000 people arrested each day are connected with illegal drugs, leaving many dysfunctional families in the country.

“And the drugs has continued to be imported, getting inside into our communities and continue to plunder the lives of people and whatever income,” Duterte said. “There are shabu and they continue to number in billions until now. And the human rights are not even worried about home many children would still be destroyed and homes are, I said, rendered dysfunctional.”

He said criminality, illegal drugs, and corruption were among the problems he promised to address during the election campaign in 2016.

‘New batch of heroes’

Duterte said he is grateful that while the PNP is exhausting all efforts to stop spike in violent crimes, private citizens are also taking part in the “difficult task of achieving lasting peace across the nation.”

“We cannot overemphasize the valuable role of the PNP in deterring crime and maintaining peace and order in our society. But we cannot also deny the fact that if we are to totally eradicate criminality and terrorism, we need the active participation of our people,” he said.

He also viewed the “selfless volunteers” as a “new batch of heroes.”

“I trust your partnership with PNP will remain strong in years ahead. We all have a part in building a better nation. I am pleased to know that you have heeded the quality to serve and improve the quality of life of our people,” Duterte said. (PNA)

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1145137

• Like 2

softail
Posted
Posted
Just now, softail said:

But if you want to see how it can destroy a country, just look at Mexico, [Sinaloa]. They are the ones who dictate who will run for governor in the local areas, who run for the mayor. It’s narco-politics,” Duterte said in his speech during the event organized by the Philippine National Police (PNP).

This is the part that should be of concern to the populace. With the amount of corruption that already exists in the Philippines, I can’t help but feel that the country is ripe for a takeover by the Narcos and all the money it generates.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, softail said:

just look at Mexico,

1 hour ago, softail said:

takeover by the Narcos and all the money it generates.

The President might be strong on law and order, but he is really, really weak on geography and economics :whistling:

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that the reason the Drug cartels rule norther mexico and the drug producing Latin american countries is that the the worlds biggest drug market, with the laziest population and the most disposable income with one of the easiest crossed border is located just to the north. 

Does the Philippines have a drug problem,,,you bet, just like the rest of the world,,,but there is just not enough money here for the cartels to try to take over.

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm pretty sure his strong stance is making a difference but once he leaves I'd give it a few months and all his work will be undone.

As for the cartels deciding who will be in charge in the future I get the feeling currently those in power are pretty much picked from a cast of a few hundred anyway.

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Perhaps he is hoping his Presidency will be 'never-ending' too. 

The country is already under a form of Martial Law...seems to me. 

He is making out the PNP and other 'enforcers' to be some sort of (armed) heroes. I thought they were just doing a job. 

Where are the REAL drug-related criminals ... the BIG men, and these so-called 'narco-politicians'... in jail, or shot dead like the thousands of SUSPECTED drug dealers and users ?

• Sad 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

Perhaps he is hoping his Presidency will be 'never-ending' too. 

The country is already under a form of Martial Law...seems to me. 

He is making out the PNP and other 'enforcers' to be some sort of (armed) heroes. I thought they were just doing a job. 

Where are the REAL drug-related criminals ... the BIG men, and these so-called 'narco-politicians'... in jail, or shot dead like the thousands of SUSPECTED drug dealers and users ?

So far 11 mayors and 6 vice mayors have been killed after being named as involved in drugs. Whether to cover the tracks of others is unknown. The Mayor of Ronda being one plus his vice mayor and nephew. My ex is from Ronda and before they were shot she used to tell me how you had to be careful dealing with the police in the area as they were protected by the mayor and had a bad reputation.  He picked the chiefs and had operational supervision and control over the police units in his area. 

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

So far 11 mayors and 6 vice mayors have been killed after being named as involved in drugs.

No Great Loss

One nice thing about the drug "war" here, is that the gangs are usually selective on who they rub out.

Unlike the in the states where rival gangs will empty an Uzi magazine at a street corner, killing innocent bystanders.

Maybe ammo is to expensive here :hystery:

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Reference my previous post ....as suspected all along.... :rolleyes:

MANILA, Philippines — The Duterte government’s admission that suspected drug lord Peter Lim has fled the country only proves its “two-faced, criminal” war on drugs, detained Sen. Leila de Lima said on Tuesday.

She said the campaign was bloody and harsh but only on suspects who are poor, ordinary people and those without “connections,” but it was never aimed at holding the real bigtime drug lords accountable.

Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1453199/peter-lims-escape-shows-two-faced-drug-war-says-de-lima#ixzz6zHA8zH84

Spoiler

Peter Lim’s escape shows ‘two-faced’ drug war, says De Lima

By: Melvin Gascon - Correspondent / @melvingasconINQPhilippine Daily Inquirer / 04:57 AM June 30, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Duterte government’s admission that suspected drug lord Peter Lim has fled the country only proves its “two-faced, criminal” war on drugs, detained Sen. Leila de Lima said on Tuesday.

She said the campaign was bloody and harsh but only on suspects who are poor, ordinary people and those without “connections,” but it was never aimed at holding the real bigtime drug lords accountable.

“They were quick to fabricate pieces of evidence against me, while the case against Peter Lim, which is based on substantial proof, was dismissed and he was even allowed to escape. What a shame! What corruption!” De Lima said.

De Lima issued the statement from her detention cell at Camp Crame in Quezon City in reaction to an admission by Interior Secretary Eduardo Año that Lim had fled.

P500,000 reward
In a radio interview on Friday, Año said Lim “has gone missing and we believe he has snuck out of the country.”

The Department of Justice had charged Lim for conspiracy to commit illegal drug trading. The government offered a P500,000-reward for his arrest in 2018.

Lim was charged alongside self-confessed “shabu” (crystal meth) distributor Kerwin Espinosa and two others.

He was accused of supplying at least 90 kilos of shabu to the so-called Espinosa drug group in Central and Western Visayas in 2013 and 2015. His other drug deals involving an unspecified amount of shabu supposedly took place in 2014.

Espinosa was one of the state witnesses who had testified against De Lima. He said he gave up to P8 million in bribes to the senator, who was then the justice secretary, through her driver-bodyguard Ronnie Dayan.

Du30 warning
His testimony formed part of the evidence that served as basis for the courts to find probable cause against the senator and the denial of her right to post bail.

In 2019, President Rodrigo Duterte warned the fugitive Lim to just commit suicide rather than give himself up to authorities.

“Peter Lim, if I were you, I would commit suicide. Never ever surrender to me alive. You commit suicide,” Mr. Duterte said.

De Lima had cited the case of Lim as the “real face of this d*mn drug war.”

“Where do you find a person who presents himself as seething over illegal drugs, but a drug lord is his co-wedding sponsor and campaign financier? That’s only Duterte!” she said.

guyito@email.com

READ NEXT
ICC taking pulse of drug war victims’ kin: Do they want full probe of Duterte?

slide 1 to 5 of 6slide 1 to 5 of 6slide 1 to 5 of 6
Duterte just 'shrugged off' report of ICC top prosecutor, says Palace01:43
Duterte just 'shrugged off' report of ICC top prosecutor, says Palace

Sotto believes gov’t should allow ICC see PH’s anti-drug drive01:54
Sotto believes gov’t should allow ICC see PH’s anti-drug drive

INQside Look with Senate President Vicente Sotto III01:01:56
INQside Look with Senate President Vicente Sotto III

'Smart cane' brings tech advances to visually impaired01:35
'Smart cane' brings tech advances to visually impaired

Musk says may need $30 billion to keep Starlink in orbit02:06
Musk says may need $30 billion to keep Starlink in orbit

WATCH: SEN. BONG GO WALA PA RING INTERES SA PRESIDENTIAL RACE SA 2022 ELECTIONS | JAN ESCOSIO04:02
WATCH: SEN. BONG GO WALA PA RING INTERES SA PRESIDENTIAL RACE SA 2022 ELECTIONS | JAN ESCOSIO

Don't miss out on the latest news and information. 
Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer & other 70+ titles, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news, download as early as 4am & share articles on social media. Call 896 6000.

TAGS: Drug war, Leila de Lima, Peter Lim
For feedback, complaints, or inquiries, contact us.

EDITORS' PICKMOST READ
NEWSINFO
Pacquiao accepts Duterte dare, names Duque-led DOH
NEWSINFO
Pope Francis saddened by Noynoy Aquino’s death, extends condolences to Filipinos
BUSINESS
For the love of food: Here’s how this houseware store thrived and survived amid the pandemic
NEWSINFO
NBI loses third bid to nail teacher who offered bounty to kill Duterte
TECHNOLOGY
Watch Gilas take on the world at the FIBA OQT via gigafest.smart
TECHNOLOGY
Smart Bro brings back double data for Prepaid Home WiFi subscribers

Disclaimer: Comments do not represent the views of INQUIRER.net. We reserve the right to exclude comments which are inconsistent with our editorial standards. FULL DISCLAIMER

THE INQUIRER CHANNELS
News Sports Entertainment Lifestyle Technology Business Opinion Global Nation

SERVICES
Mobile RSS Email Us Archive Contact Us News Letter Job Openings

THE INQUIRER COMPANY
About INQUIRER.net About the INQUIRER User Agreement Link Policy Privacy Policy Article Index

PARTNERS
Libre Hinge Inquirer Bandera Cebu Daily News DZIQ990 AM Motion Cars

© Copyright 1997-2021 INQUIRER.net | All Rights Reserved
We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click this link.

I Agree

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 4

Jack D
Posted
Posted

Duterte: ‘I can’t promise heaven, but I will stop corruption’

So, what ever happened to ending corruption?

If memory serves me well, DU30 promised to step down from his presidency if he couldn't stop criminality, illegal drugs and corruption in government within the first six months if elected president.

By: Nestor Corrales - Reporter / @NCorralesINQ

INQUIRER.net / 10:43 PM March 20, 2016

CEBU CITY, Philippines—Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte could not promise “heaven” but reiterated his vow to stop criminality, illegal drugs and corruption in government within the first six months if elected president in May.

“I will not promise you heaven but I will try to stop corruption. In three to six months, I will stop corruption in government,” Duterte said in his closing speech at the second presidential debate here on Sunday.

Duterte: ‘I can’t promise heaven, but I will stop corruption’ | Inquirer News

graham59
Posted
Posted

Basically, he's full of it, isn't he . :shades:

• Haha 2