Classic rock quiz

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Rick Beato features some fascinating insight into music in general and specifically classic rock music. Always interesting and informative. 

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

I love them both (Floyd and Led Zep)...and have seen both play live, in my youth. There were millions of youngsters back in those times who would not listen to either band though...in particular, the more creative 'prog-rock' Pink Floyd.

However, apples and pears as far as comparing the bands (and their influence) goes, IMHO.

As with comparing The Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Totally different styles, but that doesn't mean one can't appreciate both, of course, which I certainly have done.  :smile: 

As far as the relative 'fame' of individual artists and bands, well, I think this probably depends a lot upon how old you are. 

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Old55 said:

specifically classic rock music

1 hour ago, graham59 said:

I think this probably depends a lot upon how old you are. 

Classic rock?  Is that what old farts listen too?  I'm into BTS with my 17 year daughter.  :hystery:

I was way into Pink Floyd when I was late teens to late 20's.  Many times, I when enjoy them while in an Altered State, with headphones, of course. Still love the music and especially the recording quality.  I used to have a vinyl master recording of Dark Side of the Moon, and I kick myself for giving it away, along with all of my vinyl.  I still have a DVD Audio version of it that is excellent.

When I was younger, I didn't appreciate Led Zep as much, but later I grew to like them more.  I went to a Led Zep concert at the Los Angeles Forum in about 1975 I think.

I always liked the combination of orchestral and rock, and ELO was always a favorite.

Please don't make posts like these because my wife is mad at me for spending too much time on You Tube yesterday, listening to all kinds of good stuff!  :hystery:

I think Elvis Costello was the opening act at one concert I went to.  He has a lot of content on You Tube and he is quite talented in his older years.

https://youtu.be/ag489Kgckeo

I also like Southern Bluesy rock and happened across this Spectacle show that Elvis Costello hosted a while back.  I still have a crush on Norah Jones!

• Like 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

Musically...I think we'd get along.  :smile:

I still mourn the loss (they were stolen) of my collection of hundreds of vinyl albums and singles, purchased from when in my early.teens, up to the 90s..including of course 'Dark Side of The Moon'.  Oh, and 'Electric Ladyland', etc, etc.  

bigcry.gif

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Musically...I think we'd get along.  :smile:

I still mourn the loss (they were stolen) of my collection of hundreds of vinyl albums and singles, purchased from when in my early.teens, up to the 90s..including of course 'Dark Side of The Moon'.  Oh, and 'Electric Ladyland', etc, etc.  

bigcry.gif

Sorry for your LP loss.

I've been collecting LP's for some time now and enjoy listening to them.

• Like 1

Heeb
Posted
Posted

I had tickets to see Zeppelin in 76 or 77 in Chicago but something happened to Page’s son if I remember and they cancelled. My sister still has all my old (scratched) vinyl and claims they are hers. Did anyone else get the 13 free albums for a penny deal from Columbia clearing house and fail to pay for the 8 albums afterwards? I was so scared, they kept sending threatening letters and I was only like 13 years old.

• Like 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

I've been collecting LP's for some time now and enjoy listening to them.

I still remember buying LP's at a measly cost of 2 for $5 (USD), and if I said that I had quite a large collection, that would be the understatement of all times, but moving around the USA and the world made me finally decide to give up carrying around so much baggage.

I'm still missing my days of listening to my 'low tech' vinyl versions of the 'Moodies,' 'Pink Floyd', 'Beatles,' and the entire flock of early rock pioneers. Although we didn't realize it way back then, but vinyl sounded so much better than 'high-tech' CD's and streaming.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack D said:

but vinyl sounded so much better than 'high-tech' CD's and streaming.

Well even stooopid old me realises that digital is only a 'simplified' sound-bite version of the original analogue.  :(

In fact, listening to say, old Beatles songs (especially Mono ones) on digital, they just sound awful... every sound separated, rather than being the original 'blend', is the best way I can describe it. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Some CD's are better than others but generally have a grainy and dull sound. Is that what you hear Graham?

I prefer vinyl but we more often listen to TIDAL streaming TIDAL Master recordings can be exceptional it all depends on the recording and your equipment.

• Like 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Some CD's are better than others but generally have a grainy and dull sound.

I miss hearing all of the subtle background sounds that get filtered out, since digitalized music is just a series of zeroes and ones. If music cannot fit into a 0 or 1, it just eliminates the warmth and charm of a bygone era.

• Like 3