Mailbox Services - Updates?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Last year I started my Traveling Mailbox service and gave it a positive short term review here:

https://www.philippines-expats.com/topic/31998-travelling-mailbox-short-term-review/

And, we discussed mailbox services in general.  Now, something has happened that forces me to reconsider my choice of Travelling Mailbox.  I may stay with them, but I need to consider others first.  Does anyone have any new recommendations, in particular, for the state of Texas?

There was one other negative thing that came up with TM since my review.  When I signed up, their info said an envelope of documents to Philippines could be sent for $20.  In reality, later in the year it was around $90.  I never used it.

So what happened?  I got this e-mail this morning.  I am going to have to change all my addresses with banks, government, etc., and get a new USPS form 1583 notarized.  It is a huge hassle.  I didn't know that all their locations except NC are operated by third parties.  That is something I need to check on others.  They suggest using NC but surely they know many customers do not want their mailbox in a state that has state income tax.

Good Afternoon,

We regret to inform you that the location that we use to service your account in Orlando, FL abruptly decided to stop working with us. We were completely blindsided with no warning. In fact, we had recently approved a price increase for operations at this location just a month prior. The locations that we utilize are not bound to work with us for any length of period as they are third party locations. We worked diligently with our other partners to work to come to an agreement to continue operations but the location owners did not wish to continue under any circumstances. As a result, we must wind down operations at this location by July 31st, 2021.

We have secured a new location in Orlando, FL that has been operating since the 1980’s. The location is very experienced in this type of work and we feel very comfortable about the forthcoming working relationship. If you login to your mailbox, you will be able to see your new address listed. The address format is also shorter which should help with useability as well. Note: We are going to work to transfer your USPS Form 1583 but a new one may be required at some point. This information will be posted in your online mailbox if necessary. However, your new Orlando, FL address is available for use immediately.

How to prevent this from happening in the future? Easy. You can use our Sanford, NC Address directly. This is our main facility and it is where we operate out of and where all of your mail comes anyway. It is owned and operated by Traveling Mailbox solely. If anyone wishes to transfer to this location, you can keep your mailbox number, no new USPS Form 1583, and we will provide one month of free service. The address is shorter, cheaper, easier to use, processing will be faster and more direct and your mail and packages can go to the same address. If you wish to move to our Sanford, NC Location, please email Support@TravelingMailbox.com and we will make this change for you.

Note: If you wish to use a different address other than Orlando, FL, you will need to go to our pricing page and signup for it directly. You may use the following coupon code to get 50% off the first month. Once you signup and get your new address set, you can cancel the Orlando, FL Address from your Billing Portal.

We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. This is an unfortunate reality of any service that you pick. Its cost prohibitive for us to open shops directly in each location. So using third party locations is the only way. Normally we would give longer notice if this was going to occur but we wanted to work to find a good long term provider.

Posted
Posted

US Global Mail is in Texas and they just today sent me an email notice that they're soon to migrate accounts to an improved software platform without raising rates. Might be a good time to check them out. I've not had a problem with them in 6 years.

Some key benefits that you can look forward to in the new platform:

- a much improved user interface
- Improved functionality

Streamlined shipping and scanning interface
    Ability to ship all items in Inbox at one go
    Ability to deposit a check via the Inbox
    Look ups show in the same tab in Inbox

- Additional features

Ability to return a mail to sender from the Inbox
    Ability to report an issue from the Inbox

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JDDavao said:

US Global Mail is in Texas and they just today sent me an email notice that they're soon to migrate accounts to an improved software platform without raising rates. Might be a good time to check them out. I've not had a problem with them in 6 years.

I looked at them and at first it seemed good, with one central facilty in Houston and a low base rate.  However, the internal scanning is too high!  $3 + .50 per page.  I get all my banking, tax and investment mail sent there and I need it opened and scanned.

Jack D
Posted
Posted

I used to trust the US Postal Service (USPS) as one of the world's best postal systems, but the recent flood of stimulus checks has created a landslide of mail box break-ins, which robbed me of a small fortune of money. High Tech??? The US government has all of my direct deposit information, but they still insist on using the USPS to mail out checks to taxpayers. :89:

• Sad 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Anybody used PhysicalAddress.com?  They popped up as an advert when I googled mailbox services.

https://physicaladdress.com/pricing/

Only $10.98 for something similar to what I am paying TM $19.95 a month, with Dallas address.  And they say all their locations are owned, not 3rd party.

On Trustpilot, they have 4.9 / 5, 99% excellent or great. However, I know nothing about Trustpilot.

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/physicaladdress.com?stars=5&utm_medium=trustbox&utm_source=Horizontal

HappyJack
Posted
Posted

Can you use the addresses these services provide to show residency? I would be interested in that to avoid state income taxes on Social Security once I start collecting.  There could be a big savings as Florida has no state income tax.  I would think changing all mail to a service in Florida along with my drivers license would be good enough to show residency.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, HappyJack said:

Can you use the addresses these services provide to show residency? I would be interested in that to avoid state income taxes on Social Security once I start collecting.  There could be a big savings as Florida has no state income tax.  I would think changing all mail to a service in Florida along with my drivers license would be good enough to show residency.

Yes, absolutely.  My mailbox is in FL now for that reason.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, HappyJack said:

Can you use the addresses these services provide to show residency?

No expert here, but as long as you officially change your Home of Record to FLA. 

My question would be why not change your Home of Record to the Philippines? That is what I did and have not paid state taxes in 9 years. Only disadvantage is that you can only vote in federal elections. Unless you need to be a "resident" of the states for some sort of benefits I would just be honest and change it to the Phil 

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

You might try looking at yacht cruising blogs or web sites because sailors usually need to have USA based mail services - I know, because I needed those too. That's how I found the one I use now. If you can use one from Washington state, I can give you a good reference.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

Only disadvantage is that you can only vote in federal elections

Politics being what it is in the US, some might consider this to be an advantage.  :hystery:

• Love it 1
  • Haha 1