DepEd seeks public apology from World Bank after ‘insulting’ report on PH education

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

DepEd seeks public apology from World Bank after ‘insulting’ report on PH education

Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1455716/deped-seeks-public-apology-from-world-bank-after-insulting-report-on-ph-education#ixzz6zkIKEOOQ

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Education (DepEd) on Monday demanded that the World Bank make a public apology following its report showing poor performance of Filipino students that “insulted” and “shamed” the Philippines.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Since the country was insulted, was shamed and so on, we expect and look forward to a public apology,” DepEd Secretary Leonor Briones said in an online Palace briefing.

“Lalo na yung ‘di pagsabi sa amin na naglabas sila ng ganoong klase ng datos, na lumang luma na datos (Especially when they released that kind of old data),” she added.

While the World Bank personally apologized to her through a letter, Briones insisted it should be public since it was the country affected by its report.

“Kasi pinadalhan ako ng sulat, personal apology. But hindi naman ako ang natatamaan dito. Ang natatamaan ang bansa,” she said.

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Education (DepEd) on Monday demanded that the World Bank make a public apology following its report showing poor performance of Filipino students that “insulted” and “shamed” the Philippines.

ADVERTISEMENT

“Since the country was insulted, was shamed and so on, we expect and look forward to a public apology,” DepEd Secretary Leonor Briones said in an online Palace briefing.

“Lalo na yung ‘di pagsabi sa amin na naglabas sila ng ganoong klase ng datos, na lumang luma na datos (Especially when they released that kind of old data),” she added.

While the World Bank personally apologized to her through a letter, Briones insisted it should be public since it was the country affected by its report.

“Kasi pinadalhan ako ng sulat, personal apology. But hindi naman ako ang natatamaan dito. Ang natatamaan ang bansa,” she said.

(They sent me a letter, a personal apology. But I’m not the one affected here, it’s the country.)

In the World Bank report, poor learning results were observed among students in the country as 80 percent of them fell below minimum levels of proficiency expected.

The report was based on three assessments the country previously joined — the Program for International Student Assessment in 2018, the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study in 2019, and the Southeast Asia Primary Learning Metrics also in 2019.

Briones underscored how the World Bank omitted the DepEd’s initiatives to improve the quality of education.

This includes DepEd’s negotiations with the World Bank for a $110-million loan to upskill teachers and a $100-million loan to boost the country’s Alternative Learning System.

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Fine...continue to live in la la land then. Idiots.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

My sister-in-law is a college teacher and she is upset at some of the comments here ! She works every day from 7am umtil 5pm teaching her students online ! inc sundays !

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, expatuk2014 said:

She works every day from 7am umtil 5pm teaching her students online ! inc sundays !

Which is to be expected, the grunts in the trenches work their tails off being underfunded, underpaid with unrealistic demands made upon them, while their spokesmen/women sit fat and happy making fools of themselves.

• Like 3

RBM
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, expatuk2014 said:

My sister-in-law is a college teacher and she is upset at some of the comments here ! She works every day from 7am umtil 5pm teaching her students online ! inc sundays !

I have a close friend, his wife is a qualified teacher. I was amazed, shocked and astonished when she graduated, lets be honest here....she had the mind set of about a typical 8 year old western kid. Could not add, geography was pathetic at best. Her whole world revolved around FB.

Must say though the written and oral expression from most people here is honestly not bad IMHO.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, expatuk2014 said:

She works every day from 7am umtil 5pm teaching her students online ! inc sundays !

Perhaps she could get a personal apology from the World Bank for stirring it up.

12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

the World Bank personally apologized to her through a letter

hk blues
Posted
Posted

All I can bother saying is, as with much of things here, "It is what it is".  

Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, expatuk2014 said:

Did the World Bank say the teachers were bad or that the students didn't learn enough? If your ingredients are lousy, no matter how hard you work your cake is going to fail. Frankly, a college teacher should realize that.

• Like 3