Jump to content

DepEd seeks public apology from World Bank after ‘insulting’ report on PH education


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Mike J said:

This evidence likewise supports the conclusion that the scrapping of the time-honored Grade 1 reading cut-off in 2001 and the introduction of the mother tongue policy in school year 2012 to 2013 were the blunders, which have brought Philippine basic education to its knees.

I agree with the above. 

Consider also, that the period covered co-oincides with the huge, almost universal expansion in the use mobile phones... both by teachers and pupils.

Step 1:  BAN their presence in schools.  No excuses. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Forum Support
33 minutes ago, graham59 said:

I agree with the above. 

Consider also, that the period covered co-oincides with the huge, almost universal expansion in the use mobile phones... both by teachers and pupils.

Step 1:  BAN their presence in schools.  No excuses. 

I completely agree.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, graham59 said:

Step 1:  BAN their presence in schools.  No excuses. 

 What? and stop the Blighters Cheating by Text, cos they do, Mine Did I know for sure, Ma read some of them when she (daughter) left the Phone at Home One day and teachers use then to ask another teacher what shall I say next :shades:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also note that the start date for public schools is towards the end of September, the latest of the 3 options that were presented.  So, the summer vacation will have lasted pretty much 6 months! Given that the system is modules, with almost no teaching time, I wonder why such a long vacation was decided upon?  My son is in a private school and will restart in August, which means about 5 months holiday - still far too long and what's worse is we're paying significantly more in fees compared to last year.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, hk blues said:

I also note that the start date for public schools is towards the end of September, the latest of the 3 options that were presented.  So, the summer vacation will have lasted pretty much 6 months!

No, I don't think that is correct.  The public school year was extended and just ended a week or two ago.  So they now have a bit over 2 months off.

Private schools do their own thing.  We just enquired at a few here.  Our current school starts August 16 and lets out early June.  Similar to the U.S. schedule.  Our last school (where we might send our youngest to Kinder) starts August 2 and ends April 30th.  Another school we considered used to be on a U.S. schedule but now they decided to drag the school year out longer and have less hours per day.  No go for us.  I think they can hire less teachers that way.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

No, I don't think that is correct.  The public school year was extended and just ended a week or two ago.  So they now have a bit over 2 months off.

Private schools do their own thing.  We just enquired at a few here.  Our current school starts August 16 and lets out early June.  Similar to the U.S. schedule.  Our last school (where we might send our youngest to Kinder) starts August 2 and ends April 30th.  Another school we considered used to be on a U.S. schedule but now they decided to drag the school year out longer and have less hours per day.  No go for us.  I think they can hire less teachers that way.

My mistake - I was not aware that public schools finished so recently. My son's school (private) finished early April and will restart mid August - still too long IMO at 4 months.  I believe the other private schools  in the area are similar. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...