Thoughts required. Emergency exit to Canada at least for a few months

Shol
Posted
Posted

Hi there.   Just had some things come up so wanted to run it by you smart fellers :)

My mother is sick in Canada and I will need to return to Canada for at least a few months not sure exactly when but my 13a will expire in January and they said they need 2 months at least to process of I will have to start over.  Yuck. Oh well.  

Next up is the Travel Pass. I am reading conflicting information on that you need one with 13a but not if you have ECC.  I called and found out that you can get ECC at airport with 13a but am worried if I don't end up securing a travel pass might be denied boarding.  Anyone with experience / insights?

Anyone with any other thoughts suggestions and insight to avoid the usual unorganized nonsense that would be great.

I am already doing the heavy research on my Canadian entry and testing requirements.

Thanks!

hk blues
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Shol said:

Hi there.   Just had some things come up so wanted to run it by you smart fellers :)

My mother is sick in Canada and I will need to return to Canada for at least a few months not sure exactly when but my 13a will expire in January and they said they need 2 months at least to process of I will have to start over.  Yuck. Oh well.  

Next up is the Travel Pass. I am reading conflicting information on that you need one with 13a but not if you have ECC.  I called and found out that you can get ECC at airport with 13a but am worried if I don't end up securing a travel pass might be denied boarding.  Anyone with experience / insights?

Anyone with any other thoughts suggestions and insight to avoid the usual unorganized nonsense that would be great.

I am already doing the heavy research on my Canadian entry and testing requirements.

Thanks!

Just to clarify, what do you mean your 13a will expire in January? Do you mean you haven't activated it yet although it sounds like you are already here.  Or do you mean your ACR card will expire then?  

Shol
Posted
Posted
Just now, hk blues said:

Just to clarify, what do you mean your 13a will expire in January? Do you mean you haven't activated it yet although it sounds like you are already here.  Or do you mean your ACR card will expire then?  

I am currently temporary so on the first portion of the 13a but now have to travel back to Canada to be there for my mom.  It's activated and fine but I might not be here to process the conversion to permanent and we called today to see if we could expedite or start it now, but they said not for another 3-4 months.   I have no clue yet how long I will be in Canada.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Shol said:

Thanks!

HK, I am going to assume your ACR card is expiring, as the 13A is permanent resident visa.  It would only expire due to death of spouse or divorce.

When you apply for a new ACR card, you turn in the old one.  But they give you a receipt and claim ticket that you can show that you have applied for the new card and paid the fees.  

My Bad, thought HK was the one leaving.   When I applied for my 13A they told me that a "special permit" is required if you need to leave during the probation year.  Not sure if that still applies.

Edited by Mike J

hk blues
Posted
Posted
Just now, Shol said:

I am currently temporary so on the first portion of the 13a but now have to travel back to Canada to be there for my mom.  It's activated and fine but I might not be here to process the conversion to permanent and we called today to see if we could expedite or start it now, but they said not for another 3-4 months.   I have no clue yet how long I will be in Canada.

Ah, got it.  I was fortunate enough to be able to get my 13a abroad so no need to do the probationary year hence me forgetting about that.  

I wonder if flying back just to do the process wouldn't be more cost effective and less hassle than going back to square 1?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mike J said:

HK, I am going to assume your ACR card is expiring, as the 13A is permanent resident visa.  It would only expire due to death of spouse or divorce.

When you apply for a new ACR card, you turn in the old one.  But they give you a receipt and claim ticket that you can show that you have applied for the new card and paid the fees.  

I think you've confused me and Shol, Mike.  Regardless, he has already clarified it's his 13a probationary he's talking about.  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
Just now, hk blues said:

I think you've confused me and Shol, Mike.  Regardless, he has already clarified it's his 13a probationary he's talking about.  

I saw that after I posted.   That's what I get for trying to post and eat lunch at the same time. :tongue:

• Haha 2

Shol
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Ah, got it.  I was fortunate enough to be able to get my 13a abroad so no need to do the probationary year hence me forgetting about that.  

I wonder if flying back just to do the process wouldn't be more cost effective and less hassle than going back to square 1?

Thanks.    Thing is I need to leave soon.  It's a critical situation.  So I don't have the ability to do it before that :(

We tried to call.  It's too bad I don't have a "friend" in there lol..

Edited by Shol

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Mike J said:

I saw that after I posted.   That's what I get for trying to post and eat lunch at the same time. :tongue:

I have a similar problem when I try to think and post at the same time, Mike!

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
Just now, Shol said:

Thanks.    Thing is I need to leave soon.  It's a critical situation.  So I don't have the ability to do it before that :(

No worries, and I hope things fall into place.  Sometimes you can only do what you can do and not what you can't.

• Like 4