BI warns vloggers in the Philippines

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Mostly vloggers that are here a short time are not making money from the Philippines so always a warning about something.

12 July 2021
PRESS RELEASE 
BI warns foreign vloggers not to ‘overstep’ boundaries
MANILA, Philippines—The  Bureau of Immigration (BI) warned foreign vloggers in the country not to engage in any activity violating the conditions of their stay.
Bureau of Immigration (BI) Commissioner Jaime Morente stated that he issued the reminder after noticing numerous foreign vloggers posting videos in the Philippines.
According to Morente, while vlogging in itself is not prohibited, engaging in endorsements or using their platforms to sell products could be considered a violation of the conditions of their stay.
“Online videos of these influencers bring entertainment to many, which could be a source of much-needed relief from the stress brought about by the pandemic,” said Morente.  “Vloggers promoting the beautiful places in our country could even help revive and boost tourism,” he said.
“However, vlogging should not be used as a means to sell products.  Accepting local endorsements, selling products, and engaging in other activities for profit while holding a temporary visitors’ visa is considered a deportable offense,” he warned.
“Vloggers should not overstep their boundaries and perform actions only within the activities allowed in their visas,” said Morente.  “If found guilty, violators can face deportation and blacklisting from the Philippines,” he added.
It can be recalled that in February, a social media influencer was charged by the BI for performing in gainful activity without the necessary permit or visa, after allegedly engaging in the online retail of notebooks, bags, and toiletries.
Similarly in India, New Zealand Youtuber Karl Rock has recently made headlines after he was reportedly denied entry and blacklisted for violating the terms and conditions of his visa for doing business activities on a tourist visa.

https://www.facebook.com/officialbureauofimmigration/posts/2062306160574747

• Like 5

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

What if they don't upload it until after they leave....

• Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

What if they don't upload it until after they leave....

Many what ifs. I cant recall ever seeing anyone endorse a product or sell something here in the Philippines which means any money they are getting is going into a bank account out of the country so really nothing to do with the BI.

Might be different if living here on a tourist visa but bet most a just travel vlogs and they are only here a week or two.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Mostly vloggers that are here a short time

There just can not be that many "short time" visitors left in the country. We have not had an influx of visitors for almost 2 years :89:

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Many what ifs. I cant recall ever seeing anyone endorse a product or sell something here in the Philippines which means any money they are getting is going into a bank account out of the country so really nothing to do with the BI.

Might be different if living here on a tourist visa but bet most a just travel vlogs and they are only here a week or two.

There are two couples who live here full time and are popular on You Tube.  Millions of views.  They have done some videos together.  I wonder what their visa is?  There is another young guy who seems to be very rich and a lot of his videos are about giving money and gifts to Filipinos.

If they are making the videos in the Philippines, that seems like work to me, so even if the money goes into a foreign bank account, would they own PH taxes?

Another thing they do is get free hotel rooms at resorts and free meals at restos, in exchange for promoting them.  In the U.S., I think that would be taxable.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

The BI had a big campaign a few months back on the subject of online working to put pressure on locals to pay taxes on income earned from online activities - it would seem unfair if foreigners doing the same thing (if they are) don't have to.  

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
39 minutes ago, hk blues said:

The BI had a big campaign a few months back on the subject of online working to put pressure on locals to pay taxes on income earned from online activities - it would seem unfair if foreigners doing the same thing (if they are) don't have to.  

However, locals do not have to pay taxes in another country.  Foreigners often do (or should).

If it is unfair for foreigers to be vloggers, how about being authors or day traders or managing a company long distance (in Canada while residing in Philippines).  I have known expats to do these things and think they are legal.

• Like 2

graham59
Posted
Posted

Aah, these wicked tax-dodging vloggers.  :unsure:

'Facebook, Google and Microsoft 'avoiding $3bn in tax in poorer nations'

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54691572

• Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, graham59 said:

Aah, these wicked tax-dodging vloggers.  :unsure:

'Facebook, Google and Microsoft 'avoiding $3bn in tax in poorer nations'

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54691572

When the little guy does it, it is "illegal".  When the biggest companies in the world do it, it is called "business acumen". :whistling:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

However, locals do not have to pay taxes in another country.  Foreigners often do (or should).

If it is unfair for foreigers to be vloggers, how about being authors or day traders or managing a company long distance (in Canada while residing in Philippines).  I have known expats to do these things and think they are legal.

It's a minefield for sure, hence the number of wealthy tax advisors. 

I'd just like to see a system where everybody working in the country is treated the same regarding tax - I teach online and pay all the required taxes here but I wonder if there are others here who also teach online and don't. Actually, I don't wonder!