Roof Rats

OzeMike
Posted
Posted

Appreciate the good advice.... 

Part 2 of best laid plans of mice and men....

We had the super highway to the roof removed with a drastic cutting back of the mango tree branches from the vacant lot next door. 

The next day I spied a rat at the top of a drainpipe which doesn't go into the gutter (don't know what the story is behind it) but ends a foot from the eaves. So maybe trying to find their way in again?

Noises in the ceiling much reduced (according to her indoors) or non existant (my ears).

Next steps.... moth balls will be thrown around the ceiling and a rat trap cage the type Jack recommended put into use. 

...and sealing of possible entry points.

Hoping this will do the trick. 

Wish we had a cat or a snake!:punch_80_anim_gif:

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 7/22/2021 at 2:34 PM, OzeMike said:

Wish we had a cat or a snake!

Why compromise?

-itM-Q6kjKzni9Tai5MEol7IY4Rh7fpvoIeS36E2dgU.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

graham59
Posted
Posted (edited)

Think of your roof as a giant rat/mouse cage...except that you need to keep them out of it, rather than in.

Fix it up accordingly (as I have done with our kitchen).  That small steel mesh comes in very handy, as it can be cut, and 'balled up' into any shape, to fill gaps, but still permits ventilation. 

Remove or cover (with metal) all edges that can be gnawed on too. 

Edited by graham59
Missed the g of gnawed. doh ! lol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, graham59 said:

Remove or cover (with metal) all edges that can be knawed on too. 

I had a metal roof, screwed down at the eaves, and still those buggers nibbled and pulled at the metal until enough had broken away to get inside.  But I just put poison near the entrance and within a week the problem was solved.  Then I screwed the roof down again.  This happened about 2 years ago in my Sibulan home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

Use thicker metal (steel). 

I kept and bred rats and other rodents for many years as a kid, and then later as a pet store owner.

Never had a rat escape yet. 

A lot of this stuff about rats eating through concrete, etc, is simply urban myth.

Anyway, the O.P. ..or anyone else with a similar problem has to start somewhere, and that is my advice...from one who is very experienced in such matters. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, graham59 said:

I thought you told me you used to work in a lab in Wuhan :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

graham59
Posted
Posted

That was just a couple of bats, not rats. :unsure:

• Haha 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, graham59 said:

That was just a couple of bats, not rats. :unsure:

Might have been both :tiphat:

• Haha 1

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, graham59 said:

Use thicker metal (steel). 

I kept and bred rats and other rodents for many years as a kid, and then later as a pet store owner.

A lot of this stuff about rats eating through concrete, etc, is simply urban myth.

Anyway, the O.P. ..or anyone else with a similar problem has to start somewhere, and that is my advice...from one who is very experienced in such matters. :thumbsup:

Graham, in your opinion what is the food that rats cannot walk away from, a food they just cannot resist?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 7/30/2021 at 8:48 AM, Onemore52 said:

Graham, in your opinion what is the food that rats cannot walk away from, a food they just cannot resist?

I know you asked Graham, but I will add my experience... I raised pet rats too. They cannot resist peanut butter. You don't need a lot, just a small blob will do it.

I should have said that my pet rats loved peanut butter - so funny to see them get it stuck to the roof of their mouths!

They were actually great pets, affectionate and clean...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1