Filipino politics... Rock the boat pay the price

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Philippines' Pacquiao ousted as president of ruling party after row

Sat, July 17, 2021, 4:25 AM

MANILA (Reuters) -Philippine senator and boxing star Emmanuel "Manny" Pacquiao was voted out as leader of the country's ruling party on Saturday, weeks after challenging President Rodrigo Duterte over his position on China and record on fighting corruption.

Pacquiao, 42, who is seen as a possible contender to succeed Duterte in next year's presidential election, had long been among the president's strongest supporters, backing his bloody war on drugs and bid to reintroduce the death penalty.

But ties between them soured last month after Pacquiao railed at what he called Duterte's soft stance on Beijing's aggressiveness in the South China Sea, and said he was probing graft in the government.

A faction of the ruling democratic party led by Energy Secretary Alfonso Cusi, a close ally of Duterte, called the vote at a National Assembly meeting on Saturday. Cusi was elected party president.

The vote was carried out because existing officials were already past their two-year term limit, Melvin Matibag, the party's deputy secretary general, told reporters.

Duterte, who remains chairman, said in a speech to the assembly that the party was as "strong as ever and ... united in further consolidating our ranks until the end of my term and beyond".

Duterte said he could run as vice president many times over to avail of immunity from lawsuits by political opponents. Political vendettas are common in the Philippines and former leaders, minus their immunity of office, have been prosecuted and even jailed after changes in power.

Pacquiao said in a statement that the party should focus on preventing the spread of the more contagious Delta coronavirus variant.

The eight-division champion is in the United States to train for a welterweight title match and has yet to announce his presidential bid. He took oath as the party's president in December.

FILE PHOTO: Philippine Senator and boxer Manny Pacquiao speaks during the Congressional confirmation hearing of Environment Secretary Regina Lopez at the Senate in Manila

DEA654F3-5F5C-4B34-BF00-A7F7E67256C6.jpeg

Edited by Old55
  • Like 2

BC57
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

Philippines' Pacquiao ousted as president of ruling party after row

Sat, July 17, 2021, 4:25 AM

MANILA (Reuters) -Philippine senator and boxing star Emmanuel "Manny" Pacquiao was voted out as leader of the country's ruling party on Saturday, weeks after challenging President Rodrigo Duterte over his position on China and record on fighting corruption.

DEA654F3-5F5C-4B34-BF00-A7F7E67256C6.jpeg

It was political suicide once Manny opened his mouth and made that statement. I wonder if he did that on his own or an advisor told him to say that. Either way he screwed up big time.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

possible contender

I have never been a fan of Sen P as a politician (nor a boxing fan :hystery:) I have always questioned his educational and mental capabilities to be a national level leader.

Having said that this current hubbub highlights the major flaw of the Philippine political system. Like it or not this government is set up using the US as a model, but it has morphed into a parliamentary system on steroids. Where as the US has two major parties with pretty firm ideologies and where there is very little switching, and the UK and other parliamentary systems build coalitions based on like minded positions. The Philippines is known for party jumping after each election based on popularity and the opportunity to get pet projects passed vice any firm ideological position.

I have yet to meet an average man on the street that can tell me what the basic ideological stance is of any particular political party.  

Sen P's big mistake was that he criticized Pres D's performance and policies before Pres D made is future plans public. If the Pres. had made it know that he was not seeking future political office, Sen P would have had lots of support due to his national popularity, he just showed his cards to early.

16 minutes ago, BC57 said:

I wonder if he did that on his own or an advisor told him to say that.

My money is on an advisor, someone must have gathered this so called "corruption" intelligence for him and urged him to go public with it. 

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm sure he never jumped the gun knowing that the current President will lose all immunity from prosecution should he have done anything dodgy whilst on office, unless he gets  elected as Vice President and his daughter becomes President. It they both run there's no space left for him. :89:

• Like 1