Australian Passport Renewel

Colsie
Posted
Posted

I'm living in a small remote town in Eastern Samar. Apparently, to renew my Australian passport I'm supposed to do a short interview in the Australian consulate in Manila. This year it was possible for me to renew my passport from here in the province and involved a Skype interview with the Australian consulate official, due to travel restrictions caused by Covid. Now this is were things turn pear shape. The consulate is only giving out limited use passport that lasts 12 months. So in about 6 weeks I'm hoping to get a 6 month visa extension, but my passport will run out before the 6 months. Basically I'm stuck in the same situation of needing to renew my passport again and not being able to travel due to Covid.

Just wondering if there's anybody else who has encountered this problem or if anyone has any advice before I contact the consulate again. 

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Can not say I have ever heard of passport lengths being restricted.

If I was you I would deal with Manila only.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

They're only issued by overseas missions for people that have had their passport lost or stolen and don't have the time to wait or don't have the documentary requirements  for a full passport due to their current circumstances.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

They're only issued by overseas missions for people that have had their passport lost or stolen and don't have the time to to wait or don't have the documentary requirements  for a full passport due to their current circumstances.  

That's what I thought when I read the OP - I thought such documents were only issued in an emergency to allow travel rather than as a regular passport replacement

• Like 1

graham59
Posted
Posted

If you also have a British passport,  (noting your country of birth) you can renew online. No interviews. No travelling anywhere...as I did earlier this year. 

Delivered to me, here in the middle of nowhere, after about a month. 

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

This is what it says for aussies,

If you are in a city or province where stay-at-home orders are in place, or there are restrictions preventing travel, you may apply for a temporary limited validity passport (LVP) (valid for up to 12 months) by mail.  Please send us an email for further information.  If there are no stay-at-home orders or travel restrictions in your location, please make an appointment at our office to lodge your application in person.

Please note this does not replace the process to renew a passport.  If you choose to apply for a LVP, you pay the full costs up front as you would for a full validity passport (FVP).  When restrictions ease you will need to present all cardinal documents (eg: original birth certificate etc) in order to have the extra nine years placed on your passport.  Renewing a passport only requires your current passport and application form.

https://philippines.embassy.gov.au/mnla/passports.html

• Like 5

Colsie
Posted
Posted
On 7/20/2021 at 11:17 PM, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes I was given the restriction 12 month passport from Manila because travel restrictions due to Covid. Although I have paid for a full 10yr passport that I have to travel to Manila to collect. 

Its not easy to travel to Manila from here before Covid. I can't understand why they can't simply send me a 10yr passport if they can send this 12 month passport. I was just wondering if anyone else bad come across this issue. 

Colsie
Posted
Posted
On 7/21/2021 at 9:11 AM, BrettGC said:

They're only issued by overseas missions for people that have had their passport lost or stolen and don't have the time to wait or don't have the documentary requirements  for a full passport due to their current circumstances.  

That's correct as I have this 12 month restricted passport and completed the standard application form and sent my soon to expire old passport to the consulate in Manila and they sent everything on to Canberra. 

Colsie
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, graham59 said:

If you also have a British passport,  (noting your country of birth) you can renew online. No interviews. No travelling anywhere...as I did earlier this year. 

Delivered to me, here in the middle of nowhere, after about a month. 

Yes I also have a UK passport and everything you say is true as I renewed last year during the height of Covid in the UK and no problem. 

Unfortunately, my Philippine visa extension has to go in the Australian passport because you can't change nationality whilst I you're in the country. 

• Like 2

Colsie
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

This is what it says for aussies,

If you are in a city or province where stay-at-home orders are in place, or there are restrictions preventing travel, you may apply for a temporary limited validity passport (LVP) (valid for up to 12 months) by mail.  Please send us an email for further information.  If there are no stay-at-home orders or travel restrictions in your location, please make an appointment at our office to lodge your application in person.

Please note this does not replace the process to renew a passport.  If you choose to apply for a LVP, you pay the full costs up front as you would for a full validity passport (FVP).  When restrictions ease you will need to present all cardinal documents (eg: original birth certificate etc) in order to have the extra nine years placed on your passport.  Renewing a passport only requires your current passport and application form.

https://philippines.embassy.gov.au/mnla/passports.html

Yes, that is what I I have already done. But this limited validity passport needs replacing again in a couple of weeks and travel restrictions are still in place for over 60yr old farts (me). I guess I will have to contact the Australian consulate again and see will give some feedback here to what they they say. 

• Like 1
  • Hmm thinking 1