Hollywood gets it right sometimes

Jack D
Posted
Posted

• Thanks 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I found it interesting that the narrator reminded us of the pandemic beginning, when there was a shortage of masks because we were told not to wear them.  Then it turned out we were all told to wear masks.  Ten a culture of conspiracy theorists showed up refusing to wear masks.  I often wonder whether masks on everone has any validity beyond the placebo effect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jack D
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I often wonder whether masks on everone has any validity beyond the placebo effect.

Unfortunately and tragically, many of the  anti-VAXers equate the validity of vaccines as just another placebo effect.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)

The link is broken gone but is it the year old one about the movie Contagion?

Starts out right away with some of the fake info we were fed about bats.  It is fairly certain now that it did not come from bats in a market.  If it came from bats it most likely was upgraded in a lab.

Perhaps this is a case of real life following Hollywood?  How many people saw the movie and then when something real happens, they follow the movie?  Like the supermarket scenes?

Edited by OnMyWay
Correction on bats

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

The link is broken gone but is it the year old one about the movie Contagion?

Perhaps the link does not work in the Philippines.  It works in Canada.  And yes, it is a year old one comparing the movie Contagion to the Corona Virus

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Perhaps the link does not work in the Philippines.  It works in Canada.  And yes, it is a year old one comparing the movie Contagion to the Corona Virus

It works now.  I don't know why it would not even show earlier.  I'm using US VPN in both cases.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

I do remember people claiming that the original movie concept was based around the earlier SARS Cov-1 outbreak (if it had been a lot worse and gone badly wrong which it did not) which happened around 2003.

A lot of the things I saw were behind the scenes but it was being taken seriously, I was then a manager at a public transport company and on the state training sub-committee which produced training material for companies and staff (based out of the industry association which the companies were members of).  It wasn't highly publicized and there was a strong "don't worry the public" vibe although it wasn't actually a secret.

Large boxes of face masks were bought and sent to companies for use by staff, training videos and pamphlets were produced etc etc, of course SARS Cov-1 never spread beyond a regional outbreak and there was a lot of recrimination about wasted money and resources but honestly I'd rather they'd prepared and didn't need it than the other way around.

Given the similarities between Cov-1 and Cov-2 it isn't unreasonable that a movie using Cov-1 concepts would be similar in many ways to a real world Cov-2 response.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Ten a culture of conspiracy theorists showed up refusing to wear masks.  I often wonder whether masks on everone has any validity beyond the placebo effect.

Masks will not stop "a virus", but it will stop the infected slobber from going out, and the infected slobber from coming in.   Ask those anti-mask idiots, "When was the last time you saw a surgeon performing surgery without a mask"? 

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1