My Funeral in the Philippines

Jack D
Posted
Posted

I’m constantly getting  bombarded with phone calls from life insurance companies. Due to my age (68) and poor health, all that I can get approved for is 10,000 USD at $180 per month.

Instead of wasting $10,000 (USD) on a traditional funeral where I’ll get buried in the ground with a headstone, I’ll be getting cremated at a lower price, and my wife and kids can use the savings for a nice trip to the Philippines, where they can send my ashes into the ocean.

Of course, I’ll need to stay around the planet long enough until this whole Covid mess is over, since I do not want my family involved with the quarantines and all the other nonsense that’s going on right now.

I just felt like saying this on the forum, and I don’t expect any feedback, but you are welcome of course to say whatever you wish to say about my plans to be buried at sea in the Philippines.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I feel the same way Jack. My choice is ashes spread over the ocean at a place I often fished long ago. Just my opinion but a monument and expensive burial is wasteful. One thing is sure that we are only here for a short time.

I'm curious what your wife thinks of you being cremated? The reason I say is because my wife and her sister insist I should not be cremated. I guess a Catholic thing? I'm Protestant and the tradition is burial but no issues if one wishes cremation.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Old55 said:

I feel the same way Jack. My choice is ashes spread over the ocean at a place I often fished long ago. Just my opinion but a monument and expensive burial is wasteful. One thing is sure that we are only here for a short time.

I'm curious what your wife thinks of you being cremated? The reason I say is because my wife and her sister insist I should not be cremated. I guess a Catholic thing? I'm Protestant and the tradition is burial but no issues if one wishes cremation.

Well a friend of a friend in Queenstown had a similar wish. Wanted the ashes spread over the lake. His wife wanted to accede to his last wish actually charted a small plane for this purpose, the plane flew low over his fishing spot. Wife poured ashes out, sad to say the came directly back in and covered the cockpit.......Not a good ending.

• Sad 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Old55 said:

The reason I say is because my wife and her sister insist I should not be cremated. I guess a Catholic thing?

That used to be the case. The Vatican lifted that prohibition in 1963.  I think long held beliefs are difficult to change.  My father wanted to be cremated, but my mother after he died said; "I just could not do it.  The thought of him being burned raised visions of Hell. I just couldn't do it." 

This is kind of a macabre topic isn't it.   But we need to and should be prepared for death.  Once that is done, we can party on.  :7500:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

There is a family plot in Ozamis and a smaller one outside of a rural town near CDO so I'm expecting to be buried at one of those. 

The larger one in Ozamiz is at a nice lawn cemetery and far from full and I've said I'd prefer that one.

Funeral costs in the philippines aren't very expensive compared to western funerals (even more 'middle class' type funerals).

• Like 2

Jack D
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Old55 said:

My wife has no problems at all with having me cremated. The hardest part was convincing her that I am not going to live forever. The religion issue never even came up.

• Like 2

Jack D
Posted
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Mike J said:

This is kind of a macabre topic isn't it.   But we need to and should be prepared for death.  Once that is done, we can party on.  :7500:

65E37208-DECF-41F7-A068-52A2CB4EDC24_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by Old55
Added photo directly.
  • Haha 4

Jack D
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Mike J said:But we need to and should be prepared for death.  Once that is done, we can party on.  :7500:

A629121F-F3BD-41BB-BD43-8A64332CFEC7.jpeg

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

They can feed me to the strays as far as I'm concerned but I want this band at my wake. https://fb.watch/78tbcBYa2M/

Freebie
Posted
Posted

When my Mom died ( after 9 years with dementia ) my sisters and I knew she had wanted to travel but was made immobile due to dementia's ravages.

She was cremated and my 3 sisters and I divided the ashes and everytime i or they go anywhere interesting we leave a small piece of her. We believe she would have loved that idea. So shes been to Great Wall of China, Sand dunes of Namibia, beaches in Thailand Cambodia and Vietnam, New York, Mexico, Vancouver , Palma Majorca, Eiffel tower, Cannes, Broome W.A. Sydney Opera house , Tokyo , Taipei , Bantayan, Moalboal, Pagudpud, Isle of Harris and a whole host of other places around the world.

• Like 2
  • Love it 3

• Old55 locked this topic