Changes in the air

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, RBM said:

Not had a chance to read the bill how ever in the video I posted it was stated when applying for the visa it must be ones home country. Surely not, one would imagine any Philippine Embassy would suffice.

With luck it will be done online similar to a few other countries like Cambodia and Vietnam.  The only issue I can see is some immigration offices kicking back as many are kept afloat processing tourist visas.

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

"Filipina Pea" just interviewed an employee of JRC Visa Consultancy in Dumaguete, and after checking with BI, she stated that there is no intention of removing the visa on arrival but rather the pre-arrival visa 9(x) is only for those from restricted countries already on that list.  

Watch it for yourself and you be the judge:

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 5

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Lots of questions for sure.  I think the one thing we can probably count on is that it will pass and become law.  More government jobs and higher pay for those already working for the BOI.  What politician is going to vote against that? :tongue:

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, BrettGC said:

"Filipina Pea" just interviewed an employee of JRC Visa Consultancy in Dumaguete, and after checking with BI, she stated that there is no intention of removing the visa on arrival but rather the pre-arrival visa 9(x) is only for those from restricted countries already on that list.  

Chapter 5, section 66 of the Bill, Documentation and Admittance, clearly states as non immigrants we must show our passports issued by the countries we owe allegiance to and a valid visa provided by the consular officer.  Now unless they have a consular officer at the airport I'd take that as we must get one prior to arrival, It still has to go via the Senate first and as they haven't done that yet things may change.  Sect 67 does allow for the Commisioner to extend the stay subject to bilateral, regional and multi national agreements. Now that could be taken to mean you let a Filipino stay for x days we will let your citizens stay for x days.  For now I'll get started on the Retirement Visa that I was aiming for previously to hedge my bets. 

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

Chapter 5, section 66 of the Bill, Documentation and Admittance, clearly states as non immigrants we must show our passports issued by the countries we owe allegiance to and a valid visa provided by the consular officer.  Now unless they have a consular officer at the airport I'd take that as we must get one prior to arrival, It still has to go via the Senate first and as they haven't done that yet things may change.  Sect 67 does allow for the Commisioner to extend the stay subject to bilateral, regional and multi national agreements. Now that could be taken to mean you let a Filipino stay for x days we will let your citizens stay for x days.  For now I'll get started on the Retirement Visa that I was aiming for previously to hedge my bets. 

Be interesting to see how it all pans out.  Lots of conjecture that needs clarification.  

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

For now I'll get started on the Retirement Visa that I was aiming for previously to hedge my bets. 

Snowy hope you will keep us posted on this subject as i am also complementing same. Perhaps the classic.  Imagine at this time the SRRV center will be over loaded, did write to them some days ago, no reply as yet.

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Not withstanding where we are I just see no chance of implementing a pre arranged visa across the board. Especially given the current environment. 

• Like 3

Gator
Posted
Posted

IMHO forcing tourists to get a visa in advance by having to go to or send your passport to an embassy or consulate will only hamper their economic recovery. Let’s be realistic, if the average tourist has to jump thru hoops to travel there, they would likely just pass and go to another destination. The only way I see it working, and having a good chance of succeeding, is if they set up a reliable, fast and convenient way of getting the 9A vise online. 

• Like 5

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

IMHO forcing tourists to get a visa in advance by having to go to or send your passport to an embassy or consulate will only hamper their economic recovery. Let’s be realistic, if the average tourist has to jump thru hoops to travel there, they would likely just pass and go to another destination. The only way I see it working, and having a good chance of succeeding, is if they set up a reliable, fast and convenient way of getting the 9A vise online. 

Add to that the current long quarantine on arrival, and you have fairly well canceled "real" tourists.  The only "tourists" who will endure that are those who do not have a permanent visa and want to visit family or girlfriends really bad.

• Like 5

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Add to that the current long quarantine on arrival, and you have fairly well canceled "real" tourists.  The only "tourists" who will endure that are those who do not have a permanent visa and want to visit family or girlfriends really bad.

True and I (like other people in that situation) would suffer through that but also concerning to me is the persistent rumors that extending the tourist visa past 59 days might be more difficult.

• Like 1